Short Trip To Kanchanaburi Area

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Short Trip To Kanchanaburi Area

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:If you go to the end of the trail, there is road access and very easy walking access through Hintock Cutting to 3 Tier Bridge, which would give a real feel of what went on. The footpath is a bit stoney, but I'm sure you could manage it. Entering the Death Railway from this end would be absolutely free as well :D.
You could then return to your car and drive to the museum.
With Thais having a walking affliction, I'm surprised they don't use this entrance - they could even do it on their motorcycles :twisted:
Thanks for that, Big Boy. I guess that you are aware of it, but as a point of interest, the whole memorial owes a debt to an Australian guy that has devoted a lot of time, effort and his own money into preserving and developing the area.

http://www.mansell.com/pow_resources/ca ... useum.html
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote:I guess that you are aware of it, but as a point of interest, the whole memorial owes a debt to an Australian guy that has devoted a lot of time, effort and his own money into preserving and developing the area.

http://www.mansell.com/pow_resources/ca ... useum.html
I wasn't aware - thank you.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:You may want to read these accounts BB. :(

"....Tropical ulcers caused only 2 per cent of deaths on the railway but were particularly loathed. Caused by the infection of wounds by microorganisms, they would eat away flesh to the bone. Even the smallest scratch might develop into an ulcer. Rowley Richards, an Australian doctor in Burma (now Myanmar) remembered these painful wounds as ‘shocking’:"

http://hellfire-pass.commemoration.gov. ... -death.php

WARNING: Some shocking illustrations.
Yes, when we visited the JEATH Museum (Trip report scheduled Monday) on the site of the original bridge, there where a few very graphic photographs of such injuries.

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I actually met this guy when taking my tour groups to Hell Fire Pass in late 90´s. I always loved his story when he told us that whenever he sees a ghost of the guys who perished there he just says to them:"God day, mate."
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

BB...The Jeath museum is a bit haphazard. IMO the museum next to the War cemetery is so much better well laid out and far more informative.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Which JEATH museum do you mean. There are 2. Sunday's report will contain:
This museum was a real hotch potch of artefacts. Not just wartime memorabilia, but included watches, stamps, saucepans, shoes, Miss Thailand, jewellery etc. It was very random to say the least.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

No intention of stealing your thread Big Boy, but the following may be of interest. One of the survivors that I knew is still listed on this site, but I was sure he had passed on. :?

http://www.btrma.org.au/?p=702
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Part 3

Tham Kra Sae Cave
DSC06028.jpg
We have caught the train from Wang Pho to Kanchanaburi several times in the past. We have always been impressed at the rickety Tham Kra Sae Bridge, just after Tham Kra Sae Station. The train seems to travel about 2MPH for fear that this weak looking bridge couldn’t take any more speed.
the rickety Tham Kra Sae Bridge
Most people are hanging out of the windows at this point, viewing the bridge, the river and the floating hotel beyond. I’ve always heard people talk about the Buddha Cave behind me, but we’ve always passed it before I’ve taken a look.

I set my SatNav for Tham Kra Sae Station. I had no idea how we would get to the cave from here. Imagine my surprise when I realised we had to walk along the track of the rickety bridge, with huge drops either side of us. What would happen if a train came? There was nowhere to go.
Tham Kra Sae Station
Tham Kra Sae Station
we had to walk along the track of the rickety bridge, with huge drops either side of us
we had to walk along the track of the rickety bridge, with huge drops either side of us
DSC06026.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 470 times
Well, we put on our brave/stupid heads, and went for it – quite exhilarating actually, although the distance to the cave entrance wasn’t too far. Of course, my son and I left the women at the cave and carried on along this fantastic piece of engineering. This was one of the highlights of our trip. Views were also spectacular. Always in the back of my mind was what happens if there’s a train coming? We just had to hope he had good brakes – we had nowhere to run. I actually convinced myself that this must be why the trains go so slow here – idiots like us walking on the track. We did not encounter a train, although within a minute of us getting back to the station, we heard the familiar sound of a train horn.
my son and I left the women at the cave and carried on along this fantastic piece of engineering
my son and I left the women at the cave and carried on along this fantastic piece of engineering
Views were also spectacular
The cave itself was OK, but I’ve been in better. It went on a lot further than I was prepared to go (it got a bit low for somebody over 6’5”). My son carried on though, and took my camera with him.
The cave itself was OK, but I’ve been in better
DSC06038.jpg (80.31 KiB) Viewed 470 times
DSC06039.jpg (53.31 KiB) Viewed 470 times
DSC06040.jpg (70.02 KiB) Viewed 470 times
DSC06048.jpg (59.37 KiB) Viewed 470 times
it got a bit low for somebody over 6’5”
it got a bit low for somebody over 6’5”
My son carried on though, and took my camera with him.
My son carried on though, and took my camera with him.
There were a couple of bats in the cave, but I didn’t manage to catch them on camera.

As I’ve said, walking along this bridge was quite exhilarating for me, and an experience that will stay with me for a long time.

We made our way back to the hotel for a much needed shower and a bit of R&R before going out for the evening, where we ate on one of the floating rafts beneath the bridge.

Tomorrow: JEATH Museum No. 1

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Part 4

JEATH Museum 1

After breakfast, we left the women in the hotel (12 o’clock checkout), while my son and I wandered down to the JEATH Museum not far from the current bridge.

JEATH means Japan, England, Australia, America, Thailand, Holland.
[Edit] I'd forgotten that America were in the war also :oops: - obviously the Thais have forgotten them also. I've added America to compensate :D

It cost 40 Baht each for admission. The actual buildings were very ornate, with some outstanding murals painted on the walls and ceiling. It was very confusing going from room to room, and there didn’t really seem to be any continuation. I’m sure somebody understood the confusion.
buildings were very ornate
DSC06121.jpg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 385 times
murals painted on the walls
The first thing we came across was a series of statues depicting war time leaders.
General Tomoyuki Yamashita
General Tomoyuki Yamashita
DSC06096.jpg (64.25 KiB) Viewed 385 times
Adolf Hitler
Adolf Hitler
DSC06097.jpg (64.09 KiB) Viewed 385 times
General Hideki Tojo
General Hideki Tojo
DSC06099.jpg (54.11 KiB) Viewed 385 times
General Douglas MacArthur
General Douglas MacArthur
DSC06103.jpg (51.05 KiB) Viewed 385 times
This museum was a real hotch potch of artifacts. Not just wartime memorabilia, but included watches, stamps, saucepans, shoes, Miss Thailand, jewellery etc. It was very random to say the least.One display that I found a bit disturbing was a glass case containing the remains of prisoners who died while building the Death Railroad. I thought this public display of human remains was quite disrespectful.
Railway Engine at entrance
Railway Engine at entrance
wartime memorabilia
wartime memorabilia
wartime memorabilia
wartime memorabilia
wartime memorabilia
wartime memorabilia
shoes
shoes
DSC06133.jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 385 times
saucepans
saucepans
We made our way around the displays, but I found one of the best parts of this walk around the museum was access to some excellent viewing platforms to see the bridge, river and beyond.
some excellent viewing platforms to see the bridge, river and beyond
After the museum, we went back to the hotel, showered, changed and loaded the car in readiness for our homeward journey (via another 3 attractions first.

Tomorrow: JEATH Museum 2

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Am I correct in saying that is not the original bridge nor the site of the original bridge? I think I read somewhere that the original was totally destroyed and was located either up or down river from that spot. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Correct. I posted a pic on the history challenge thread. The original was down stream I think

Have a read of this http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-bat ... 2/kwai.htm
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Tomorrow's report is from the site of the original bridge - JEATH Museum 2. The museums are about 3.5 miles from each other by road.

Points 48; Position 20
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The museam that is the best(IMHO) is the one adjacent to the large cemetery in town. The cemetaryitself is very moving, so many very young men who lost their lives here. On one visit i saw two elderly british ladies kneeling and praying at a grave, that made me feel teary and humble. I have no connection with any of those buried but take flowers, pick a headstone at random, say a prayer and lay the flowers there.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, sateeb said that as well - didn't know about it (the museum, not the cemetery) :cry: . One in the bank for next time :D .

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I love Kancha and at one point considered living there but find it eerie. Sounds a bit crazy to dwell on the past but I was born just before the end of the second world war and visited many places in Germany in 1950 with my father who worked and played in Germany during the 1930's. Saw the result of a war torn country(including concentration camp sites)

Any visit to parts that remind me of how lucky my generation were to just miss it by a few years saddens me. I cannot stand in that cemetery without shedding a tear and openly sobbing. I did have relatives who were close to similar conditions and fortunately survived

I took my daughters and they just did not believe how young the guys were who died.

Sure, they'd seen the movie 'Bridge on the river Kwai' which is an heroic fantasy about the events but since getting them to watch 'The Railwayman' there opinions have changed.

Am I getting a bit down? OK time to go out and join the 'grumpy old men brigade' :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.