Plain of Jars, Laos

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
ric
Amateur
Amateur

Plain of Jars, Laos

Post by ric »

I'm planning a trip from BKK to see the Plain of Jars sights. Has anyone on the forum been there ?
I'm looking for some intel. A decent hotel to stay for a couple of days in Phonsavan. I guess the best way is to fly from Vientiane to Phonsavan on Lao Airlines and then try to search out a tour from there.
Also, anything to see in Vientiane or any other place in Laos like Luang Prabang before heading back home to BKK?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Plain of Jars, Laos

Post by migrant »

Haven't been but would be real interested to hear about, and see pictures from, your trip once you go!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

me too...?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

A place that I also have on my bucket list. There is some info at the following:

http://lonelygirltravels.com/2011/05/03 ... phonsavan/

There was an Aussie running helicopter tours around there a couple of years ago, but I have lost track of him, so not sure if he is still there.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

I was there on a 'whistle stop' tour in 2000. It was all pretty basic then. We travelled using a 17 seater Air Laos single prop plane. Alongside the PofJ we went to one of the Ho Chi Minh trail-heads which got pretty much carpet bombed by the Americans. Lots of interesting sites and sights, but somewhat like Cambodia's killing fields in that it can cause you to reconsider your views on humanity. As far as accommodation is concerned, I can only hope for your sake it has had some investment! We were in a really low grade shack type thing - it was the best in town at that time.

Luang Prabang is fantastic - wish I had stayed longer. Something like 36 temples listed on the World Heritage site. Lots of laid back cafes and the like. Much better hotels, and I don't think you will struggle to find something suitable. Again, 13-14 years since, so cannot really recommend anything.

Vientiane didn't do do too much for me to be honest, though again the hotel was good.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Never heard of it but just looked it up on Widipedia... my mother-in-law has a couple of those in her garden to collect rainwater from the roof of her house :shock: :shock: :shock: ... so no need to go to Laos. :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?