Muang Thong Thani

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Muang Thong Thani

Post by Nereus »

In connection with Big Boys post about his recent trip and his accommodation in Bangkok, the following may be of interest:

The high rise housing estate part of the development was at one time thought to be the biggest single development anywhere in the world, but I think this has to be taken with the usual Thai concept of Thailand being the center of the universe. It is however, huge, and pretty much a white elephant as well!

The link (long article) has a good discription of its history up until around 2006 / 7. There is also a map at the end of it.

http://www.mttbkk.com/about-mtt.htm
A couple of other points:
45 minutes later, we were still driving – I’d checked a couple of times to ensure our taxi driver knew where we were going.
The journey back to the airport was a lot faster, which makes me wonder how far it really was. Or because of Bangkok road systems, did we travel a long way in the wrong direction, before we could travel in the correct direction.
The easiest way from Don Muang is via Chaeng Wattana road, but it was, and still is, blocked off by protesters. As I have posted previously, from Don Muang it is necessary to travel some distance "back" towards the city before being able to turn anywhere, because of Vibvaldi Hwy and the elevated expressway. Conversely, there are other ways back to the airport from Muang Thong Thani, and because you need to be on the east side of the expressway, it is better to approach from the north. It is about 6 or 7 kms, but will depend on just which way you go.
.........trying to comprehend how people could live like this. Just huge concrete box after huge concrete box. There would be thousands of people ‘living’ inside each box.
I guess that you have not been to Singapore? A big percentage of the 3 Million odd people on the Island live in such highrise accommodation. The big difference there is that the government builds them, and the people buy and own them. Prior to that happening most of those people lived either in shop houses, or more likely, what is called a tin shack here, and a kampong in Singapore. In this country that will never happen!

I am a little surprised that the place was advertised in such a way to appear to be a "Hotel". :? Anyway, it is all good for your ongoing "Thai Education". Big Boy! :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Re: Muang Thong Thani

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you very much for that additional information Nereus. It was quite scary, but an interesting experience now that I'm home.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18