'Closure' of Bangkok and roads from Jan 13

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: Hotels on Sukumvit affected by protests. Any updates ?

Post by Terry »

During the week, I stay in the Rembrandt S01 20 - across from the Best Western

No problems during the day - at night they block off Sukhumvit between Soi 20 & Asoke

But walking & Tuks or bikes are ok
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Re: Hotels on Sukumvit affected by protests. Any updates ?

Post by jumusman »

Terry wrote:During the week, I stay in the Rembrandt S01 20 - across from the Best Western

No problems during the day - at night they block off Sukhumvit between Soi 20 & Asoke

But walking & Tuks or bikes are ok
Thanks for the info, at least I can arrive by taxi then and not have to worry about him telling me to get out 10 blocks away because he can't drive any closer.

When you say at night, what time does that usually start ?
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: 'Closure' of Bangkok and roads from Jan 13

Post by Terry »

Around 16.00
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just posting this here also as it could affect a few:

Farmers to target Suvarnabhumi
Suvarnabhumi airport has set aside its long-term parking area to host around 1,000 farmers coming to Bangkok to demand rice-pledging payments from the caretaker government. The farmers are travelling to the capital in a convoy of about 400 e-taen farm trucks, 10 ten-wheel trucks, 12 six-wheel trucks, 50 pick-up trucks and about 150 motorcycles.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... er-protest
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politic ... 27376.html
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Great, I plan my first international trip in 9 years, pay for the (non-refundable) air fare and these idiots will probably end up closing the airport again.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Breaking news that the farmers are headed home after Yingluk promised to pay what
is owed for the rice next week. God help her if she doesn't would be an appropriate thought.

Anyway, it looks like no threat to the airport for now. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... -next-week

PS: Remember, there are lies and damn lies, and if the farmer sit in at the airport should happen, I think it's the straw that breaks this government. I don't think they have the money and I don't think they can get it.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Plane full of money from brother Takky about to land at Swampy ... :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

Just hope they keep Swampy open until the morning of March 2nd... ;-)
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Bypassing BKK.

Post by usual suspect »

OK, if many of you ex-pats are like me then every so often (each month in my case :banghead: ) I have to drive out to Issan & stay at the wife's family village/home.
Well now, at this moment in time, because of the political demos in BKK my usaul route around the capital (Hwy 9, western ring road) is becoming a car-park throughout the day on most days.
Now I know many of you take the Eastern route using the toll roads, but to me that's a bit of a challenge.
So then..how about this way?
Drive northbound, at Pak-Tho do not go up & round onto Hwy35, but keep on straight towards Ratchaburi.
Keep on Hwy 4 till you get almost to Nakon Pathom..where you need to look for a left turn onto Hwy 321 (well signposted with overhead green signs).
This road takes you Northbound..keep on it & after about 20kms look out for the green signs showing Hwy 346...Take the 346 & keep on it Eastbound.
This road will take you right to Hwy 9 North of BKK to the point where it crosses the Chao-Praya river..well past any areas of congestion.
Take the L/h exit off 346, onto 9 and carry on to meet Hwy 1 (or is it Hwy 2 by now?)
This route is a bit slower 'cos of traffic-lights around Ratchaburi, but DOES get better, & traffic thins out once on the 346.
(Wish I'd come back that way today as Hwy 9 was at a standstill again today).

OR..stay at home here & send her on the bus.. :duck: :naughty:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

usual suspect wrote:OR..stay at home here & send her on the bus..
No brainer really! :rasta:
But I cannot understand your logic. The only part of using the eastern ring road (9) that is a"challenge", is actually getting up the ramp at Phra Phadaeng interchange. Once on to the road it is a straight through run all the way to the interchange to get on to hwy 1 or 2 at the northern end. Me thinks it may be your "nattergater" that is putting you off! :rasta:

Alternatively, you could keep on Rama 2 and cross the Rama 9 bridge, and then follow the expressway towards Bang Na, before turning north. But it is confusing , and will also lead you back on to the eastern ring road in any case. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!