'Closure' of Bangkok and roads from Jan 13

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: 'Closure' of Bangkok and roads from Jan 13

Post by Bristolian »

nomad_mama wrote:Hello,
Please excuse my unfamiliarity with the road names. I live in BKK and would like to bring my children to Hua Hin next Monday as they have a week off from school. I have driven there and back on my own more than once, but right now am not remembering the road names, and given the current situation, I am trying to figure out if all the main roads between Hua HIn and BKK are open. I worry that I will not be able to figure out the backroads. I appreciate any updates or information. Thank you.
The main road from BKK to HH is blocked by protestors at approximately km 85, the main junction that is normally taken for Petchaburi . There is a diversion in place that is signposted but unfortunately only in Thai. However there is not much chance of you getting lost as you will be in a tailback of other vehicles making the same diversion. You can allso follow the map posted above if you are driving.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

nomad_mama wrote:Hello,
Please excuse my unfamiliarity with the road names. I live in BKK and would like to bring my children to Hua Hin next Monday as they have a week off from school. I have driven there and back on my own more than once, but right now am not remembering the road names, and given the current situation, I am trying to figure out if all the main roads between Hua HIn and BKK are open. I worry that I will not be able to figure out the backroads. I appreciate any updates or information. Thank you.
You will have more details on this link : (An alternative to Petchkasem Rd when heading up to Bangkok)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25461
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

You can allso follow the map posted above if you are driving.
Actualy, that map is how to get to Ratchaburi. (Gerard has just beat me to it)

Gerard: can you please check the road number you have shown on your map as I beleive it should be road 4012. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

TO BAN LAEM.jpg
Nereus wrote:
You can allso follow the map posted above if you are driving.
Actualy, that map is how to get to Ratchaburi. (Gerard has just beat me to it)

Gerard: can you please check the road number you have shown on your map as I beleive it should be road 4012. :cheers:

My recent map (Garmin) gives me Rd 3001 first (about 7 km) connecting with 4012 To Ban Laem.
Anyway, it is the first small road just after the PTT service station and a good opportunity to discover the salt farms around there.
Cheers !
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

There is a sign on highway 35 that says Cha-Am beach and points down the side road.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Seems like my peaceful alternative route is now turning into the only viable route.............. :roll:
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

This should make my journey today a little easier :D
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... in-bangkok
Farmers reopen highway to South

Ratchaburi farmers join protest in Bangkok
Rice growers on Friday morning reopened Rama II road in Ratchaburi province for traffic after blocking the main highway to the South for six days, reports said.

The farmers, led by Rawee Rungruang, used farm trucks to block the road at tambon Wang Manao in Ratchaburi’s Pak Tho district since Feb 1 to pressure caretaker government to rapidly make overdue rice payments.

Earlier this morning Mr Rawee led farmers from western provinces to join the mass rally of farmers in front of the Ministry of Commerce, led by led by chairman of the Thai Farmers Association Prasit Boonchoey. The protest is now in its second day.

Mr Rawee said rice farmers will not disperse until they get the payments owned them for their rice pledged several months ago.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
HHnewbie2014
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HHnewbie2014 »

I sure hope the road remains open!

Will be travelling to Hua Hin from Suvarnabhumi Airport next week!
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Great drive from BKK to HH today. The LOS (Land of Suthep) supporters were on the march around Silom. They had successfully blocked the entire Silom - Naratiwat junction leaving my way home and out of BKK free of any traffic congestion. :D

The rice farmers had moved from their Wang Manao, Rama II road, blockade to protest in BKK. :D

Deep Joy!, it was a pleasurable drive with absolutely no issues. I hope that the return Journey, on Monday, is equally uneventful.
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

Great I hope it stays open for Wed. I was dreading the thought of loading up the Isuzu Magnum to run the blockade......lol :wink:
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Are the minibuses and bus to the airport running?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I am out of thai coming back soon. How iis it travelling bkk to hh?
Grunter

Post by Grunter »

We drove through from BKK airport this afternoon back home to Hua Hin without any troubles at all apart from all the crazy drivers
nomad_mama
Novice
Novice

Post by nomad_mama »

Thank you for all of the advice and updates!
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Hotels on Sukumvit affected by protests. Any updates ?

Post by jumusman »

I am headed to BKK next Thursday and am feeling a little hesitant about which hotel to book. I was speaking with a taxi driver last week and I don't think I really understood which Soi's on Sukumvit are red flag areas in terms of traffic. He seemed to be saying that I could stay around Soi 4 Nana area but don't go further up than Soi 13 (where the Sofitel is) up to around the Terminal 21 Mall area, where I normally stay! :banghead:

Anyone stayed in BKK in the last week or have any info on exactly where to steer clear of? :tsk: I don't really want a 4.5 + hour journey just because I decided to stay on the wrong Soi. My preference right now would be the Best Western Plus on Soi 20 but if that's right in the middle of it all I would rather not book it. Side note.. there are some really great prices out there right now for hotels in that area!
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936