'Closure' of Bangkok and roads from Jan 13

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

'Closure' of Bangkok and roads from Jan 13

Post by dtaai-maai »

Some friends sent me an email the other day asking if everything red & yellow was likely to cause a problem when they arrive at Swampy on 14th Jan.
Having confidently said no, I now hear that there are plans to block access to and from Bangkok from 13th Jan.
Does anyone have any more detailed info on this? Should I be advising them to check before they fly or would that be causing unnecessary worry?

[Please keep the political opinions for the other threads]
This is the way
buksida

Re: 'Closure' of Bkk on 13/1

Post by buksida »

dtaai-maai wrote: Does anyone have any more detailed info on this?
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politic ... 23299.html

Only what we get in the news and those are posted in the news thread.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Re: 'Closure' of Bangkok on Jan 13

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

If your friends are traveling directly to HH or elsewhere and not staying in BKK then they should be able to circumvent the disruption via the ring roads. If their destination is central BKK there will likely be some disruption and they may have to wait in the airport until they can reach their destination. When we arrived on the 22nd we had to wait in the airport for 3 hours until any taxi could take us home after the demonstrations finished due to road closures.
buksida

Post by buksida »

This looks like a good one to follow: http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/01/ev ... -shutdown/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I just hope they stay away from the airport. I have family going out on the 22nd and others in on the on the 27th. :? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Nothing hurt Thai tourism like the airport closure. Of one thing I am sure, that will never happen again.. The aairport will be open but everybody wil be confused.
The bus to/from HH takes a very southerly route from the airport and uses the bridge over the river most distant from central BKK. However traffic may be bad as those roads will be overused. The problem always is you can get no info on what is happening. If it was me I would have Plan B ready. If you learn that getting to HH is difficult. Go to chonburi or pattaya for a night.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

today, the13th, in Bangkok

Post by oakdale160 »

What do you all hear from friends inBKK. one friend emailed about the e
rie quiet, few people on the street, little traffic.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Ongoing protests against controversial amnesty bill

Post by Bristolian »

I am working in the Silom/Surawonse district. The streets are empty of vehicles and many companies are closed. My drive to the office normally takes 30 minutes but this morning it was less than 10 :D Most peoiple are using public transport and not risking bringing their cars into the city
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Left Soi 20 at 08.00 this a.m. on foot - Driver had called to say that Asoke and central area was blocked to cars.

Had an appointment at the British Embassy at 08.30

Got up to Asoke BTS station by ascending stairs on Sukhumvit S.E. side no problem

Views from 'Skywalk' accross Asoke at around 08.10

Looking South down Ratchadaphisek
20140113_082117.jpg
20140113_082117.jpg (38.44 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
Looking East along Sukhumvit with the 'stage' erected to block the junction
20140113_082103.jpg
20140113_082103.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 2191 times

Asoke IS blocked
20140113_082049.jpg
20140113_082049.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
BTS running normally - in fact I think that they have decreased the headways to get more trains running.

Got off at Ploenchit, passed a few Army medics camped on the corner of Wireless Road.

Into and out of the British Embassy - no problem

Back on to BTS at Ploenchit and saw more crowds at Central World
Changed at Siam - could not SEE anything as I was up on the station - but I could HEAR the bloody whistles..............

Changed to Silom line to get to Chon Nongsi

As I passed the corner of Lumpini Park there were more crowds and staging.

Arrived at Chon Nongsi around 09.50 - no problem

Road traffic (Cars) very light, but plenty of motorbikes.

So far, all is quiet and the winners are BTS and the Motorcycle Taxis. :wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We've got the Isaan outlaws visiting at the moment :cuss: They've been putting off their return home. They've now heard Bangkok is closed, so they suddenly need to go home (want me to drive them because they don't think buses are running).

Does anybody know the situation with buses? I was thinking the bus that goes direct Korat, and then they could change. I thought this might be a goer as it doesn't stop in Bangkok, but then thought buses from Bangkok North might be cancelled.

I DON'T WANT TO DRIVE TO ISAAN.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

BB - pack them off by train :wink:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

................. but then thought buses from Bangkok North might be cancelled.
It has been reported in the Bangkok Post that buses from the northern bus terminal (Mor Chit), have been given free passes to use the elevated tollway to by-pass the blocked areas. No idea about getting to Mor Chit from the south, but from all reports that I have seen it is not a problem.

Up until about 30 minutes ago Sukhumvit around Soi 48 / 50 has had less traffic than on a Sunday. Then a big group on foot, singing and dancing, came by heading inbound. The traffic has been at a standstill and is only just starting to move again now. No idea if this mob has gone in towards Asoke, or turned into Rama 4 to join up with the blockage at Klong Toey.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hmm, since my last post another mob has taken over one inbound lane of Sukhumvit. This lot have been going past for the last 20 minutes or so, pickup trucks with speakers, and hundreds of motor bikes. The bloody racket they are making is enough to awaken the dead!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As all of this unfolds they may have inadvertently stumbled upon a way to clear up Bangkok's traffic by using well placed sandbags and instituting a pay to enter CBD. :idea: See, perhaps some good will come of all this. :shock: :D

Edit: Some photos: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... ay-traffic
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

B.B. IF you decide to pack the 'outlaws' off on the HH-Korat bus they should be OK as this bus goes via Nakorn Pratom, & takes a Northerly route before linking up to the Saraburi road. :thumb:
We drove back from Issan yesterday & the roads were fine..came in & around the Western fringe on Hwy 9 no problem..BUT, my Mrs said it was rumoured that the protesters had blocked-off Hwy 9 at teatime last night. :tsk:
A quick drive down to the HH bus station near Condo Chain there with your good lady asking them inside will give you a yes or no on the matter of dispatching those Outlaws of yours.. :cheers: