Which areas to avoid in Bangkok due to political protests

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Artilery
Amateur
Amateur

Which areas to avoid in Bangkok due to political protests

Post by Artilery »

We are going to Burma for 17 days and then spending a couple of days in Bangkok (to take my wife to JJ market, etc), before coming on to Hua Hin. Unfortuantely our Bkk visit will be the week after the elections and I think there is going to be a lot of unrest when the votes don't go the way a lot of people in Bangkok want.
Which areas of Bangkok should we avoid?
I know it is very early to post this, but we are unlikely to be able to access internet, or only at snail's pace, during our tour of Burma, so I need to get some info now.
Thanks, Art
This life is not a rehearsal for the real thing
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Which areas to avoid in Bangkok due to political protest

Post by oakdale160 »

Things change, but strangely Sukhumvit from Nana to asok and further out is rarely affected. Traffic can be a horror show but the sky train rarely closes, although it did this week. You can take the MRT to JJ from the station at sukhumvit/ask.
Artilery
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Artilery »

Funnily enough I was there during the 2010 redshirts demo and caught the Skytrain from Asok to the National Stadium to see the Jim Thompson house. it was only when i tried to walk back I found the protest camp blocking my way. I asked and everyone said "No trouble. Everyone very friendly". I just walked back right through the middle of the camp and it was all very relaxed. Of course that changed when the camp was cleared.

This time seems rather more violent and we heard one policeman killed, but like you say, if we take the Skytrain then we should avoid any problems.

Art
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The election is still 5 weeks away, so whilst it's a good idea to do some pre-planning, you will have to assess the situation much closer to the time of your visit - there's half a chance that the election could be called off so have some options and be prepared to change your plans if necessary.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Don't go near the PMs house, or her brothers. Most other places should be good.
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
Artilery
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Artilery »

Thanks for that.
The protests seem to be getting worse. Sooner or later the army will have to restore peace.
We are staying near the river across from Thon Buri and will go places like Sukhumvit road and JJ market, so we should not need to go anywhere near Bueng Kum district.
Art