How do I find a driver and mini van for 4 large people?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
joyvee
Amateur
Amateur

How do I find a driver and mini van for 4 large people?

Post by joyvee »

I will be visiting HH at end of month and would like to find a driver suitable to drive four people around for four days next June. Thought I would investigate possibilities now.
Any suggestions about reliable drivers, preferably local , and if possible English speaking but reckon my very bad Thai will get us by.
We will not want late night driving or go bar hopping either. those days are just memories now!

Where would I start looking and rough costing? I am thinking of about 2000 - 3000 Bht per day. Must have comprehensive insurance.

Don't want to drive ourselves as having an accident as a tourist is fraught with difficulty.
Any personal recommendations, any pitfalls to avoid?

thanks so much for your help and advice. JoyV
Big Boy

Re: How do I find a driver and mini van for 4 large people?

Post by Big Boy »

Driving around to where? Is that just local or are you intending to travel some distance?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
MrD
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrD »

The common rate for a minivan(bus) is 2000 baht/day + gasoline. The driver find his own accomodation(included in the 2000 baht/day).
joyvee
Amateur
Amateur

Post by joyvee »

We will get train down from BKK and just spend three or four days looking at local sites just day trips.

Maybe I will spend sometime reconnoitering the area when I visit later this month. Just need to know where to start my quest. JoyV
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You will find all manor of taxis looking for your business when you get here. They will be parked up all over the place. June is very quiet, so you'll have no problem finding somebody. You should be able to negotiate a good rate.

Points 41; Position 18
joyvee
Amateur
Amateur

Post by joyvee »

Guess I will just have to start chatting up younger men (!), then, and get approx idea of prices.

how can I ascertain i they have public liability insurance?

Looked at Hua hin Taxi service and they seem dearer than comments above. Am worried about liability should the driver crash into someone or something.

Will probably come back down here in Feb and look at Prachuap Kiri Khan for day trip ideas. any clues?
thanks for real time up date. JoyV
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

joyvee wrote: Will probably come back down here in Feb and look at Prachuap Kiri Khan for day trip ideas. any clues?
thanks for real time up date. JoyV
You could have a look here http://www.tourismhuahin.com/ .

Alternatively, we are starting to populate our Facebook with local trip ideas https://www.facebook.com/huahinforum . If you 'like' our page you will automatically receive updates.

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Looked at Hua hin Taxi service and they seem dearer than comments above. Am worried about liability should the driver crash into someone or something.
I would suggest that a more expensive taxi is more likely to have insurance than a cheaper one. Before the airport bus started I had a regular taxi driver who wasn't the cheapest but he always had new cars brought on credit which had to be insured for that reason and he was very polite and reliable. The number was 0817360771 but I haven't used that company for a year or more so I can't guarantee that it still works.