Hua Hin - UdonThani

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PGS

Hua Hin - UdonThani

Post by PGS »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to travel from HH to Udon Thani and back would be? Are there domestic flights on this route?

Regards PGS
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Re: Hua Hin - UdonThani

Post by Korkenzieher »

The simple and convenient way to go is to fly. Nok Air fly about 5 round trips daily from Don Mueang. Cost is usually around 1500 each way. You also get some deals for early booking and so on. Under 1000 isn't unusual, and with the overnight bus from BKK costing around 800, that is pretty amazing. Flight time is just under an hour. I did the trip 3 times last high-season. It has the advantage at the moment, of not having to deal with the effects of flooding in the ground.

The train isn't even worth considering - 12-14 hours, the first class sleeper is more expensive than the flight.

As mentioned, the buses from Mo Chit - generally overnight, and can arrive at some pretty antisocial times of day if you don't time it right (try finding something to do in Udon at 6 am!). The daytime trip is quite scenic, and you can always make the trip over several days, doing short hops and stopping for instance at Khon Kaen or Korat en-route.

There isn't anything direct from Hua Hin, so pretty much anything you take will involve a change in Bkk. Your call whether the flight to Don Meuang is worth the time, effort and price, compared to say a door-to-door taxi (from home to DM. which is what I do). If you take vans or buses to get to Bkk, then you are left with getting to Mo Chit or Don Meuang, which can be a hassle with luggage, and adds to the cost.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Korkenzieher wrote:The simple and convenient way to go is to fly. Nok Air fly about 5 round trips daily from Don Mueang. Cost is usually around 1500 each way. You also get some deals for early booking and so on. Under 1000 isn't unusual, and with the overnight bus from BKK costing around 800, that is pretty amazing. Flight time is just under an hour. I did the trip 3 times last high-season. It has the advantage at the moment, of not having to deal with the effects of flooding in the ground.

The train isn't even worth considering - 12-14 hours, the first class sleeper is more expensive than the flight.

As mentioned, the buses from Mo Chit - generally overnight, and can arrive at some pretty antisocial times of day if you don't time it right (try finding something to do in Udon at 6 am!). The daytime trip is quite scenic, and you can always make the trip over several days, doing short hops and stopping for instance at Khon Kaen or Korat en-route.

There isn't anything direct from Hua Hin, so pretty much anything you take will involve a change in Bkk. Your call whether the flight to Don Meuang is worth the time, effort and price, compared to say a door-to-door taxi (from home to DM. which is what I do). If you take vans or buses to get to Bkk, then you are left with getting to Mo Chit or Don Meuang, which can be a hassle with luggage, and adds to the cost.
A really comprehensive reply :cheers:
PGS

Post by PGS »

Thank you Korkenzieher for useful information. Very good :-)
clinton114

Post by clinton114 »

Wife and I did the HH-UTH trip about 10 days ago, and took the train. I agree with Korkenzieher, that Nok Air from DM is more cost effective and convenient, especially when you consider the time involved. But, we weren't in a hurry and I was feeling adventurous. We had about 12-hour wait in BKK between arrival and departure for UTH, so we rented room at a hostel to wait. Then, the train ride BKK-UTH was about 11 hours. Breakdown of our costs:

HH-UTH (express diesel & 2nd class sleeper) - 1116 baht/person, plus 950 baht 1 day in a hostel for the layover.
UTH-BKK (1st class sleeper) - 1150 baht/person (we returned to HH from BKK via private auto, so just the cost of gas).

The difference in cost between flying and taking the train is small, but then factor in the food cost, the cost of your time for the layover at the train station, and the cost of your time for the 11-hour one-way train trip, then the "Nok Air" choice is a much better value. But, I do recommend doing the train once, for the adventure if not the cost.

The train was a lot of fun, but, I don't think I'll do it again. Taxi from HH to DM and then 3000-baht R/T Nok Air flight DM-UTH, sounds like the way to go.