Bangkok voted the best city in the world - tourism

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Bamboo Grove

Bangkok voted the best city in the world - tourism

Post by Bamboo Grove »

The Travel and Leisure magazine's readers have voted Bangkok to be the best city in the world. Of the criteria mentioned below, I agree with four. Shopping I now nothing about and people are nice but not necessarily those whom the tourists meet.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... -best-city

Bangkok ‘world’s best city’ again

Published: 5 Jul 2013 at 18.01
Online news: Local News

Bangkok will be honoured for the fourth year in a row as the "World's Best City" by Travel & Leisure magazine with the award formally presented to the governor on July 18 in New York City.

A foreign tourist zooms in on a statue at the Grand Palace. Photo by Patipat Janthong.

The magazine sent out questionnaires to its readers between Dec 1, 2012 and April 1, 2013. When the responses were compiled, Bangkok topped the list with a score of 90.42%.

The Thai capital was followed by Istanbul at 89.96%, Florence at 89.84%, Cape Town at 89.57% and Tokyo at 89.31%.

Chiang Mai ranked 10th with a score of 88.15%. Other cities in the top 10 were Rome, Charleston, South Carolina in the US, Barcelona and Paris in France.

Besides the World’s Best City award, Bangkok also was judged Asia's Best City for the fourth year running.

The magazine said each city was rated with scores of 1 to 5 for each of six criteria: sights, culture/arts, restaurants/food, people, shopping, and value.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said the award indicated that tourists truly liked Bangkok.

He urged all people in the capital to help take care of the city to make it an attractive place worth a visit in all aspects, even though Bangkok may not win the award every year.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Bangkok voted the best city in the world - tourism

Post by Takiap »

I haven't read the entire Bangkok Post article, but can honestly see why tourist vote Bangkok into the top stop year on year. My first visit to Bangkok was absolutely mind blowing and I guess it's the same for most first time visitors. Of course, the more you visit, or the longer you stay there, the more it loses its appeal, but that is to be expected.

Such was it's affect on me, that once I had visited Thailand, I basically all interest in travelling to other destinations.

I must admit, I am a bit surprised to see Cape Town in the top spot since it's not really crammed full of tourist attractions. I can only think it's the city's natural beauty coupled with a really laid back way of life. Nonetheless, I would have thought South Africa's crime rate would have had a far greater impact than it apparently has. Also, I can't imagine what tourists would see in the city once night falls since the city center is virtually 100% a business district, and as such, it's basically deserted at night. Then again, it's been many years since I was last there, so I guess a lot of changes could have taken place.

Nice to see something positive been said about SA for a change, and also about Bangkok for that matter.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Shirleyv
Novice
Novice

Post by Shirleyv »

I think that Bangkok deserves to win.
World class shopping , amazing temples, beautiful hotels and so much more, I have visited Bangkok and I love. It, although we were there in June and decided we were a bit 'Bangkoked ' out, but I am sure we will be back some day.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I agree, Bangkok is AMAZING, especially if it's your first visit. Even after all these years, I still enjoy spending a few days there every once in a while, but then I need to get out, and very quickly too. It's certainly the best city I've ever visited. No offense to our English friends, but I never managed more than four days in London - the first time was when I first arrived in the UK, and the second time was only because Mrs Takiap wanted to see London. I'm not saying it's a bad city, but for a fun/thrill seeker, it doesn't come close to Bangkok.

I guess it all depends on each individual's likes and dislikes.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact