Hua Hin Songthaew, Motorcycle taxi and Tuk Tuk Service

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Hua Hin Songthaew, Motorcycle taxi and Tuk Tuk Service

Post by Big Boy »

Over the last couple of days I've noticed a new Songthaew service operated with white Songthaews. They seem to cover a lot of Hua Hin, and still only cost 10 Baht per journey. I've seen large posters in Thai around the town, but being thick, I can't read Thai.

Does anybody know any details e.g. routes, timetables etc.?

If nobody can help, I'll try to take a photo of the poster tomorrow, and maybe somebody can translate.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Re: New Songthaew Service

Post by ste860 »

it goes along the market road and via soi 94 and soi 88 just does a loop around central hua hin not along petchakasem like the green ones ,its run from just next door to the pai mai driving range

theres more buses on a rush hour times i think upto 20 it does say on the sign hours worked
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Can't wait until they start going over the flyover. You'd think somebody would've started it with all the cheap Thai housing up that way.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here's the poster advertising the new route:
Bus route.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

This might be stupid to ask, but I've learned never to assume, so: Do the white songthaews run in both directions or is it only a big one-way loop? If the latter, which direction does it go?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've seen them running in both directions at the end of my street, so I guess the answer is yes. However, it would be good if somebody else could confirm.

Points 41; Position 18
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Sat at Restaurant 94 this evening watching them pass and they went in both directions.
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

Thanks.

I was a bit confused by "it goes along the market road and via soi 94 and soi 88." So "the market road" = Petchkasem Road? And, on the map: the road it takes inland from Petchkasem Road is Soi 94? If so, now I can explore easily Soi 94. 8)
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

New Songthaew (Baht bus) route

Post by Korkenzieher »

For those familiar with the green-van (songthaew / baht bus) service down to Kao Takiab, and back up to the airport, you may be interested to know that there is a new regular route in town.

It circulates from Chomsin via the railway station, Soi 88 (Bon Kai), Soi 94, Market Village, Night Market and across Petchkasem to the Van Stop on the corner of Chomsin and Naebkhehars Road. It seems to go in both directions, and has nice new (and as yet relatively empty) vans.

It has been running for at least a few weeks, though doesn't seem to have received any publicity. It also looks as though it circulates in both directions, and is similarly 10 baht unlimited distance. I don't know whether it goes any further north of Chomsin. Seems pretty clearly to be aimed at giving tourists ease of access to Market Village and the centre of town - almost all of the destinations are listed in English.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Korkenzieher wrote:It has been running for at least a few weeks, though doesn't seem to have received any publicity. It also looks as though it circulates in both directions, and is similarly 10 baht unlimited distance. I don't know whether it goes any further north of Chomsin.
I'd never heard of it 'til the other day when our rental customers mentioned it. They said it goes as far North as the Golf Villas, so that's Soi 41 and Ham & Bacon Company territory I believe. Apparently it terminates in a depot across the railway lines near Gee-UnTung supermarket.

They were two pensioner couples and regular Hua Hin visitors and they were fairly raving about it's convenience and inexpensive alternative to the usual tuk-tuk's. They said the staff/service ws excellent, afer they got the wrong bus back which ended up in the depot the staff put them on the next bus out and wouldn't accept their 10 Baht fare as they'd paid for a short wasted trip already. 'Non-Thai' drivers?? :naughty:

Bet the rotund tuk-tuk drivers slumped across their tailgates are chuffed to see them circling round loaded up with tourist meat :duck:

SJ
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, it was a standing joke with my wife and I when watching one of these songthaew's drive past. Until mid-January we rarely saw any passengers. However, I'm pleased to see that they are being used a lot more now.

We've used them a couple of times, and they are very good. The only gripe we had with them is if you wish to go North of Soi 41, you have to combine the journey with a green songthaew. It would be much more convenient if both songthaew companies went through the big square in the middle of the night market. We have found that there is a couple of minute walk from one songthaew to another.

The depot is near the Per Mai market, although I wasn't aware that they terminated there. I was under the impression that it was a bit like the Circle Line in London. They just go round and round in circles - 10 Baht regardless of distance.

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Hmm I'm pretty sure there's already been a thread on this service?

Anyway I have seen some publisicty for it, outside some 7-11s on the south side of Petchkaseam road, but it's all in Thai.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pleng wrote:Anyway I have seen some publisicty for it, outside some 7-11s on the south side of Petchkaseam road, but it's all in Thai.
Similar to the image in the 4th post?

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Big Boy wrote:
Pleng wrote:Anyway I have seen some publisicty for it, outside some 7-11s on the south side of Petchkaseam road, but it's all in Thai.
Yup. Except I wrote my post before the new thread was merged into this one :p
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pleng wrote:
Big Boy wrote:
Yup. Except I wrote my post before the new thread was merged into this one :p
:tsk: An extract from the Moderator's log :D
Merge.jpg
Merge.jpg (19.07 KiB) Viewed 10137 times
Nice to know that I'm not the only one going senile :D

Points 41; Position 18