Points north, Chiang Mai/Rai

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
migrant
Addict
Addict

Points north, Chiang Mai/Rai

Post by migrant »

On this years trip Mrs M has talked about visiting up north in the Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong areas.

We spent a couple days in Chiang Mai a few years ago, but other than a great elephant camp, didn't see much else (we had a friend there).

So I am asking the accumulated wisdom of the board for places up north;

1) Places to see
2) Places to stay
3) Places to eat and drink (near and dear to my heart!!)

Thanks! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Bamboo Grove

Re: Points north

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Here's an old thread

http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=15

Try eating at Ka Lae restaurant, great athmosphere, also the boat restaurants by the river are good. If you have plenty of time go to Doi Inthanon and visit some waterfalls on the road.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Bamboo Grove wrote:Here's an old thread

http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=15

Try eating at Ka Lae restaurant, great athmosphere, also the boat restaurants by the river are good. If you have plenty of time go to Doi Inthanon and visit some waterfalls on the road.
Thanks!!

Is Ka Lae in Chiang Mai? :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Yes, it's in Chiang Mai by the reservoir on Doi Suthep mountain (not the same road that takes you to the Wat Doi Suthep)

Some local magazines
http://www.chiangmainews.com/
http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/
http://www.chiangmaispotlight.com/index.php

One more nice place I just remembered, if you like flowers, is Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden

http://www.chiangmai-thai.com/queen_sirikit.htm

Cheez, I'm missing CM already.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

We stayed in the old city just inside the Tapai (sp?) gate at a really nice small hotel. I'll try to figure out the name and post it later. That turned out to be a perfect location as there are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance both just inside and just outside the gate (on the ring road).

Plus, if you're up for a bit of a longer stroll, we walked to the night bazaar area from there a few times which is down the road leading out of that gate and is an interesting tourist area.

Our favorite restaurants were further out the same road from that gate, just across the river, then left. There is a row of restaurants directly on the river there that have good food, ambiance and most have live music at night. In the mornings, on the opposite side in the same area of the river is the flower market. Even if flowers aren't your thing, you should see this as it must be the biggest and most colorful one in the world.

Also, staying where we did, we were less than a block away from one of the main streets where the Sunday market is held. It pretty much covers the entire old city and must be the biggest market with the most extensive range of goods in Thailand.

We had already been to Doi Suthep on a prior trip (which is worth a visit), so we just enjoyed the city the last time. There is a day trip that goes through several villages in sort of a triangle from Chang Mai where each village is known for a product, gems, umbrellas, ceramics, orchid farms, etc. We also did that tour on a previous trip and it was worth the day, if your into those touristy types of things. The wife liked Tiger Kingdom (she only went in with the babies), and the zoo, but don't go there expecting to see the Panda(s) as you had to have reservations to do that when we were last there.

We have also done a day trip from there to visit a hilltribe village which I found interesting but may not be for everyone as it is also a tourist setup.

On a previous visit, we also did a day trip to this place up towards Chiang Rai:

http://www.thaizer.com/tourist-attracti ... hiang-rai/

There, you can tour the queen mother's former residence and associated gardens. It's on a mountain called Doi Tung with excellent views and was a nice day. That was very near the hilltribe village we went to and if I recall correctly, we did both in one day.

And of course in that earlier tourist trip, a visit to "The Golden Triangle" area was a must for us.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks Guys!! :cheers:

Good info!

HHF, If you think of the hotel, please let me know!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Migrant,

This was the hotel. If we go back we would definitely stay there again. Great mid priced hotel in a great location!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... g_Mai.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Migrant, you got me thinking about our last trip to Chiang Mai and how much fun the missus and I had that I thought I'd give you a little perspective about some of the things I mentioned. If you are walkers you can walk to all the things annotated on this map as well as tour the entire old city on foot.
Chiang Mai.jpg
Chiang Mai.jpg (146.82 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
Legend:

The blue square is the moat and what remains of the wall around the old city.
1 = The Hotel
2 = The Night Bazaar
3 = The Flower Market
4 = Row of restaurants along the Mae Ping river (many have really good live music nightly)

Makes me want to go back! :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

If you're heading from CM to MHS, you could do worse than stay a night or two in Pai. It may have changed a bit since I was last there some 5-6 years ago but it has a really laid back feel and there are waterfalls and hill tribe villages to visit - Karen, Shan, Lisu, Lahu.
I stayed in backpackers' bungalows for the three months I was up there, but there are some decent hotels in town right on the Pai river - very peaceful, I'm sure.
There were plenty of places to eat, especially on the main road leading through town (it's really only a small street). You'll get a good selection of traditional Thai, northern Thai and western food there. One place that stood out for me was The Pai Corner - anyone living there will know it - if it's still there. German run and the owner was one of the first westerners to set up a business in town. He makes regular trips to CM for speciality foods - cheeses and deli meats were excellent and has good Thai food as well.
All-in-all, you probably won't want to be there for longer than a couple of days, but who am I to say as I was there for 3 months and didn't want to come back to HH. Pai is about halfway (traveling time) between CM and MHS.
Oh yeah, there were also a good few restaurants/chill out places just over the river on the northern side. Easy walking distance from the decent hotels. Give them a try late afternoon. Enjoy a few cold beers, listen to the ambient music, have a few snacks, hopefully see the sunset and then drag yourself away for some dinner back in town.
And do try the little stalls that sell local whiskies made out of all sorts of stuff - honey, blah blah blah. They were cheap as chips and guaranteed to get you rocking and rolling!! There wasn't much happening after 10pm ish except for one "club" called Beebop. That was OK. Live music and a young crowd dancing the night away.
Have fun.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Just for your reference all of the hotels in Chiang Mai can be booked online here at very good rates:
http://huahinforum.com.r24.asia/chiangmai/
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks for the info!! :cheers:

HHF, lets go!

Lomuamart, I'd heard of Pai, but never been!

We are talking of Chiang Mai - Pai - Mae Hong Som

or

Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai and maybe Vientiene.

We will probably rent a car in Chiang Mai and head out. I think a round trip going to all would be too much.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Most of those are doable by car but I think Vientiene may be a bit far.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

I'm planning a short tour of Northern Thailand later this year, 7-8 nights in September with the family - Mrs.T and our two sons - and we will be travelling by car.
I did a very short but packed trip back in 1994 visiting Chiang Mai - Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden - Pai - Mae Hong Som - Golden Triangle. I enjoyed every minute of it.
Mrs.T and the boys have never been North of Nakhon Sawan - so it will be an adventure for them too.

So - question
Has anyone done this recently, if so, any recommendations for accommodation / car routes?

We will not be looking to do any off roading, trecking, rafting etc - rather a more laid back sight seeing tour.

Having reached Chiang Mai, I would be interested in no more than 4 hours driving per day, before the return trip.

Thanks for any advice
T
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ditto ...

Any latest recommendations for somewhere to stay in CM, central (walkable to nightlife/shops), decent wifi, cheap (under 500 baht)?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Points north, Chiang Mai/Rai

Post by migrant »

Terry, I'll see if I can get the route we drove last year, it was enjoyable. We leave today for Thailand so may be a couple days, please pm me if I forget.

In CM a client of mine negotiated a stay at his condo unit and he is currently out of Thailand so can't help there Buksida