Best way to travel to Hua Hin from Bangkok?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
sdeekay4
Rookie
Rookie

Best way to travel to Hua Hin from Bangkok?

Post by sdeekay4 »

Hi, my flight arrives into Bangkok at 2pm and I was wondering what the best way is to travel from the airport to Hua Hin.
susan x
buksida

Post by buksida »

This has been covered countless times on the board, have a look here:

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1276
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

Just go outside the doors at arrivals and you will see a taxi rank.

Get a taxi from here as its much safer than the ones that stop and tout for your fare, you also get a ticket so your journey can be traced.

Mike.
songkurai
Amateur
Amateur

Post by songkurai »

Obviously it is quite difficult to give a specific description of where this is, and more so when it appears you don't know either Hua Hin nor Bangkok very well. I will give it a try though. Firstly, in Hua Hin, the soi where the minibuses leave from does not, as far as I know have either a number nor a name, but it may do and be obscured by something. The soi is directly opposite the Tesco Lotus Express which is also a petrol station, and as previously stated next to a Honda motorbike dealers. In Hua Hin, on the main road that runs through it (Phetkasem Road) there are only two sets of traffic lights - the soi we are talking about is just after the most northerly of these on the left, heading towards Bangkok. If you have found the soi the minibuses are normally visible straight away on your right hand side parked in and around a derelict building (which was going to be a cinema), just past some food stalls and a small soi.

In Bangkok the Victory Monument is a little harder to explain without some prior knowledge of the city, but easier if you are coming on the Skytrain. Firstly I have found in the past that many Thais and taxi drivers do not know what you are talking about if you ask for Victory Monument - they know it as Anutsawari Chaisamoraphum. If you can manage it, it is easier to find the minibuses coming from the Skytrain station. Follow the direction signs at the station towards Victory Monument, and once you have gone through the ticket barrier keep left and keep walking straight on the raised walkway, towards (when you can see it) the needle shaped monument in front of you - that is the Victory Monument. You will reach a point on the raised walkway where you can only go left or right - turn left and keep following the walkway around and then down the steps you come to at the end of the walkway. (As you are doing this you should be able to see a large hospital on your left). At the bottom of these steps keep going straight but slightly left to bring you into a pedestrianised area with lots of small stalls and shops, mostly selling food and drinks. You will come to a very small 7-11 on your right, and almost directly across from there on your left is a gap through to a soi which runs behind the pedestrian area - this is the soi where all the minibuses depart from, to many places. Go into this soi and turn right (you will see several minibuses parked along here) and normally no more than 50 metres along on the opposite side there is a couple of tables set up on the pavement where you can buy a ticket for the Hua Hin minibus. Alternatively if you just say 'Hua Hin' to one of the people around the minibuses or selling food and drinks in that soi they will point you in the right direction - the ticket guys sometimes are in a different place, but always in that soi. One bit of advice is that the most comfortable seat is immediately behind the driver, but it is normally snaffled by others first, and you will often be 'encouraged' by the driver to sit at the back, which is the least comfortable. I think this is because Hua Hin is the last stop and there will normally be people getting off in Petchburi and Cha Am.

I hope that helps you find it - I remember the first time I tried to find them in Bangkok it was not easy because you do not get dropped off in the same place that you leave from! Good luck anyway.
Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.
Robert Frost
sdeekay4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sdeekay4 »

Thankyou! I am very excited now - I leave on Tuesday! :)
susan x