Pills for pets the easy way

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Pills for pets the easy way

Post by Vital Spark »

I've had pets all my life, and giving them pills can sometimes be a bit hit and miss. Cats, especially, have the ability to pretend they've swallowed them and then spit them out when they're out of sight.

We recently had our semi-stray dog spayed, and the recovery involved antibiotics and painkillers (quite a lot of bitter pills to swallow...). She's a street-wise dog and, as such, is highly suspicious of anything a bit foreign in her food. I ground up the pills into very fine granules, then mixed them with butter, and gave her the dish to eat. I didn't add it to her food. Not only did she lick the dish clean, but was looking for more. I've recently given her worm pills and she relished the buttery coated bits of bacon. No trauma, no left-over pills in the bottom of the dish, just easy peasy.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Pills for pets the easy way

Post by migrant »

I wrap our dogs pills in cheese, they like that. Your method sounds good, when I have pills to take, can I come over? Especially the bacon.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

One of our dogs is on medication for the rest of her life, and has been for a few years. All of these 'little tricks' work for a while, but she eventually gets wise, and we have to get even more sneaky.

We tend to use a cycle of tricks - she's back on the cheese at the moment. The cheese probably costs more than the tablets :banghead: . As for butter, I can't afford butter for my own consumption - I use margarine :?

[Edit] And of course, having 3 dogs, we can't give to one without the others, so every sneak trick has one with tablets and 2 without,
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

We use peanut butter in the US.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

RCer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:16 am We use peanut butter in the US.
Much as I love my dog, she ain't getting any of my super crunchy peanut butter. :wink:
migrant wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:24 am I wrap our dogs pills in cheese, they like that. Your method sounds good, when I have pills to take, can I come over? Especially the bacon.
You're very welcome migrant, but the bacon was horrible cheapo Makro rubbish - that's why it was given to Pooch. Cheese worked well with my Springer Spaniel in the UK, and I tried it on Pooch here, but she was too canny - she sucked off the cheese and spat out the pill. Anyway, Mr. Cheesemaker's (aka Parahandy) cheese is a bit on the strong side.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

cheese1.jpg
cheese1.jpg (95.65 KiB) Viewed 836 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!