Best Vet in town?

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
jocko

Best Vet in town?

Post by jocko »

Have been to a couple of vets over the past 2 years with my labrador but as some of the people have changed I am not so impressed with their knowledge and treatment. Can anyone recommend a vet that they know is good especially with dogs.
Big Boy

Re: Best Vet in town?

Post by Big Boy »

We use 2, and I'd recommend them both.

The Kasetsart Veterinary Hospital have twice brought our Rottweiler back from the brink. She has had some serious conditions, but is now strong as an ox and in her 12th year. The staff have been great with her. Being a teaching hospital, they have all of the latest diagnostic equipment at their disposal. The only downside is you sometimes get a vet under instruction. I always give them one go, but rather than distress a sick (read grumpy) Rottweiler, I insist a proper vet takes over for a 2nd attempt - there has never been any objection to this.

The other one that we use is the one by the traffic lights at the top of Soi 56. Excellent for late night emergencies. No problems with routine tasks either.

There is a 3rd, and probably our most regular. He is the mobile vet, who turns up at our house on his bike. We use him to vaccinate our dogs.

None of the above charge anything like the prices they'd charge in the UK.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

We have been using the Kasetsart Veterinay Hospital for our dog over the last 15 months and have been more than happy with the professional level of service.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Another option is now the new vets/grooming salon on the corner of Soi 104 and Petch.

The resident vet ( V cute) was a teacher at the teaching hospital.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote:
The Kasetsart Veterinary Hospital
Agree, we have had major issues with one of our dogs, they have been great!

It gets busy with walk in at times, so call for an appointment. We have always been seen very close to our appointed time.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

migrant wrote:It gets busy with walk in at times, so call for an appointment. We have always been seen very close to our appointed time.
Really? Our Rottweiler has regular check-ups, and we always have appointments, but I've only ever seen the appointment time as a guide. We always just take our place in the queue, regardless. Our time is always 08:30, and we always arrive before that time, but any animals there before us are seen before us.

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote:
migrant wrote:It gets busy with walk in at times, so call for an appointment. We have always been seen very close to our appointed time.
Really? Our Rottweiler has regular check-ups, and we always have appointments, but I've only ever seen the appointment time as a guide. We always just take our place in the queue, regardless. Our time is always 08:30, and we always arrive before that time, but any animals there before us are seen before us.
Coming up from Bang Saphan we usually have afternoon appts. This past Monday our appt was 2:30, we arrived, and checked in, at 2:10. The waiting room was fairly full but we were called within 10 minutes. Perhaps everyone else was waiting for test results, etc, but we went in before them. :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hmmmm................. I'll have to get Mrs BB to make enquiries next time.

Points 41; Position 18
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I've used Kasetsart Vet Teaching Hospital probably around 50 or 60 times over the last 4 years, with my two dogs and two cats, as well as numerous street dogs I've helped out. Can't say enough good about them ! Spaying and neutering is expensive at Kasetsart, around 3000 baht versus 1000 baht at the vet at soi 55/1 ( or is it 55/5 ? ) where I've also had good experiences. At Kasetsart, you are given a queue number when you check in and seen in the order of the queue, which they post at the counter in the air conditioned waiting room. I've never had to wait very long.
sidthesloth
Amateur
Amateur

Post by sidthesloth »

Tan Diau Pet Hospital near the king's dog shelter is the best in my opinion. The prices aren't expensive and the 2 qualified vets are really helpful and speak a lot of English
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've never used them Sid, but I have several friends who are also very pleased with what they do.

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I would say Kasetsart Vet Teaching Hospital is the best service and facilities by far however it is also quite expensive if you have to make numerous return visits.
We now use Tan Diau however we were not impressed with the overnight facility for the animals, they were jam packed in one room so we did not leave our pet overnight. If you need to leave overnight I would suggest you ask to inspect the facility, it may have just been a one off extremely busy day.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:Kasetsart Vet Teaching Hospital is also quite expensive if you have to make numerous return visits.
I'm genuinely surprised to hear that, although I guess it's down to the treatments received.

We had to take our Rottweiler daily for about 3 months, at which point it reduced to every other day for a few months, then twice weekly, weekly, and we're now on check ups every 10 weeks. She had intravenous fluids on every visit, plus other treatments. I used to say that if it was in the UK she'd have had to die.

Regarding medication, she was on exactly the same tablets/dosage as me. When we joked with them about it, they told us that if we wanted, we could get her tablets at the same time as mine, and make considerable savings.

The daily visits that required a vet plus nurse for about 30 minutes each day never cost more than 200 Baht, and even when they did their diagnostics to check progress (3 hours tying up a vet plus nurse and lab staff), costs rarely reached 1500 Baht.

[Edit] And there's free flow complimentary coffee and Internet for those long visits.

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

That is quite different to our visits which normally were no more than 20 minutes to change a dressing on a broken leg, cost each time was 1400, this included up to 3 people dealing with the animal. The first visit to x-ray and set the leg was much more, I can't remember the actual cost.
At Tan Diau the cost for a simple dressing change has been 160 Baht each time.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Really :shock:

I wonder if they have a dual pricing policy. Mrs BB takes the lead when we're there - my job is to stop the vet being savaged :D

Points 41; Position 18