Looking for a Vet hopefully with positive recommendations

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
dennism53
Amateur
Amateur

Looking for a Vet hopefully with positive recommendations

Post by dennism53 »

Moving to Sam Roi Yod in late March, have two dogs, anyone had positive interaction with a Vet in Pran Buri or Hua Hin?

Thanks in advance for assistance

Also any positive results for tick prevention!
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro! HST
Geko
Professional
Professional

Re: Looking for a Vet hopefully with positive recommendations

Post by Geko »

Kasetsart University Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Address: 9 Petchkasem Road, Nong Kae (next to Suan Son), Hua Hin
Phone: 032527605-8, Emg: 0870645225
The newest Kasetsart University Veterinary Teaching Hospital campus. First class veterinary care and facilities in the Hua Hin area.
Open Hours : Monday - Thursday : 8.30am - 4pm, Friday : 8.30am - 11.30am
Saturday, Sunday & public holidays : 9.30am - 1.30pm
Open Every evening : 5pm - 7.30pm
dennism53
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dennism53 »

Thanks!
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro! HST
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We use the above vet on a weekly basis, and are generally very happy with them (skills, facilities, price etc). However, you need to be aware that the hospital is a teaching unit, and some of the kids under training can make some more technical procedures seem very difficult. Our dog has been subjected to poor treatment on 2 occasions.

If we get one of the trainees, Mrs BB is now under instruction to let them try once - if they cock up, then intervene and insist on a proper vet, who will be lurking close by.

They have to learn somewhere, but if they get it wrong, your animal shouldn't be allowed to suffer needlessly.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Have used the Kasetsart University Teaching Hospital and have to agree with comments made by BB. Generally speaking most of the student vets have been professional in their approach. Probably the main reason we use this facility is the access to well qualified teaching staff with diagnostic equipment, facilities and pathology on hand which is far beyond that of any local Veterinarians.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
jvs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jvs »

Ivermec is the best way to prevent ticks,buy a bottle and inject every month or when you start to find ticks again on your dog.
Easy to do yourself and a lot cheaper than anything else.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

jvs wrote:Ivermec is the best way to prevent ticks,buy a bottle and inject every month or when you start to find ticks again on your dog.
Easy to do yourself and a lot cheaper than anything else.

Ivermectin was originally developed as an endectocide for the control of internal and external parasites for the livestock industry. Dogs carrying the MDR1 gene, ( working dogs, particularly collies)
are susceptible to blindness along with other health issues.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/tox ... n_toxicity
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
jvs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jvs »

Yes i know that,i should have mentioned collie type dogs are not to be given Ivermec.Thank you for pointing that out
Ivermec is however the medicine most widely used in Thailand to battle ticks and I have been treating my dogs with it for years without any problems.
When i started using it i was not convinced it was the right thing to do because of what appeared to give an overdose but i did some research and i am now glad i use it.
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

The best vet I have come across is a lady at her clinic near the palace.
Location......driving north out of Hua Hin, go past the palace.....After the traffic lights, her clinic is on the left, approx 50 meters......easy to miss, so slowly does it......if you go past the tourist spot 'Plearn Wan' you've gone too far.
She is very good and knows her onions!