Tick Problem

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
dvolante9

Tick Problem

Post by dvolante9 »

Hello so I am having a problem of ticks in my house due to not finding them on my dog. Does anyone know of a spray I can buy to kill them or would I be better off finding an exterminator and if so what is a good company, thanks for the info.
PeteC

Re: Tick Problem

Post by PeteC »

Ticks are very hard to kill. You can try it yourself using Chandrite with the needle applicator but no guarantees. If you try it, they like to get in behind wooden baseboards so insert needle and spray along/inside the baseboards in the infected room. Take all the cushions off your sofas and chairs, and mattress off of bed if bedroom and inspect them as well. If they reappear, time to get a pest control man in there. Pete :cheers:

Edit: Don't let your dog lick the areas you spray. Best to keep him out of the room(s) for a few hours.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

We have been surprised to find lot's around our house in the last few months which is a first. Found it rather strange since we don't have a dog? I guess they could be pole vaulting in from the odd soi dog passing by.
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

Last year we had an infestation of ticks, we contacted a Pest Control company who guaranteed their spray kills them (I can send contact details if you are interested). We have dogs and it took some time before we found a good treatment that works consistently stopping/killing the ticks on the dogs. Frontline didn't work, the injection from the vets was useless, we ended up using a powdered medicine bought from a pet store in Chatchai market, works wonders. It's a monthly medicine, costs around 100 baht a packet.
Once ticks are in your house you really need to strip everything back to find their eggs.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Watch out for brown tick fever or aka, just "tick fever" concerning your dogs. The stuff can be deadly and do them in very quickly, I think through kidney failure.

Our Golden Retriever male had it two years ago and the symptoms I remember are:

1) Lethargic
2) No appetite
3) high fever

On antibiotics for 10 days, then 10 days a second time. The Vet said that it would take years for his kidneys to heal properly and if he should get it again within a year or two, 80% chance he won't survive. Bad stuff! :( You could actually see and feel his enlarged kidney on one side. My little daughter's school mate lost her 2 year old Golden Lab to it over a period of just 10 days. They didn't get it treated as didn't recognize it as dangerous.

People can get it also and I think most dangerous for kids. Details should be on Google/Wiki.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Contact Steve at 0899109367 - he has a good pest control company.

He previously cured our termite problem and our tick problem when our dogs got infested.

Very professional and reasonably priced
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Hello,

one of our semi-adopted soi dogs is a professional ticket collector. Kill them on sight.

Kind regards,

MB aka 'Mike the Fritz'
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE
dvolante9

Post by dvolante9 »

Yea it seems within the last few months they really started to come out here (i live by market village) thank you all for your suggestions, I will give Steve a ring and see if he can get rid of them. Also surprisingly for my dog the 711 soap you use to wash them seems to help kill them.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

zeitgeist wrote:Last year we had an infestation of ticks, we contacted a Pest Control company who guaranteed their spray kills them (I can send contact details if you are interested). We have dogs and it took some time before we found a good treatment that works consistently stopping/killing the ticks on the dogs. Frontline didn't work, the injection from the vets was useless, we ended up using a powdered medicine bought from a pet store in Chatchai market, works wonders. It's a monthly medicine, costs around 100 baht a packet.
Once ticks are in your house you really need to strip everything back to find their eggs.
Where is this market? :oops:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^See BB's markets thread. The poor chap went to a lot of effort to create it! :laugh:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

:oops: :oops: :oops:

In my defense, I've always known this simply as the "wet market" or the "main market in town" :laugh:

We have not really had a tick problem ever since we got some gai baan, but I have started seeing some during the last month or so. Might just give this powder stuff a try.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

I'll speak to the missus about the name of the powder, it's labelled in Thai only.
Clivep
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Clivep »

You can buy a plant based liquid from the store at the Kasetsart University Veterinary Hospital which is safe to use around the home and I've found to be very effective when used regularly. I haven't got a bottle handy to tell you the name, but the staff there will know the stuff - about 350 Baht a litre from memory, comes in a spray bottle or refill. Smells good and doesn't stain.
They also sell a similar spray for use on the dogs, but like other posters I've found powder to be the most effective treatment when used once a week and keep the dogs out of the water for two days after applying.
Constant battle to keep on top of the tick problem when you've got dogs in Thailand!
Petsitter
Novice
Novice

Post by Petsitter »

Not only give vaccine to your dog, but you also have to wash the floor in the house and around your house with the liquid for kill the trick. You can find in in the pet shop or pet clinic, it very important to clean the floor otherwise there are always have trick in your house , on the wall , ceiling , your bed etc