International Airport Hua Hin?

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
fczzsc
Novice
Novice

International Airport Hua Hin?

Post by fczzsc »

Hi there,

I own a property in Hua Hin since 2001. I live in Hong Kong.

Since I bought my property, I am wondering what are the plans with getting this airport going.

I witnessed the daily Bangkok Airlines flight. I remember the 4 daily Cessna's to BKK. Both services ceased unfortunately.
It is my current understanding that there are 3 weekly flights to and from Chiang Mai.

Given all major hotel chains being present in Hua Hin and with about 10 golf courses in the surrounding, I simply do not understand that there are no international airlines trying their luck.
I am convinced that from Hong Kong for example, you'd easily fill 3 planes a week.
It is my understanding as well that initially, this airport was built as an international airport and its runways should be able to accommodate decent size planes.

Is anybody out there who can shed some light on this mistery? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Stéphane
limbu

Re: International Airport Hua Hin?

Post by limbu »

Berjaya Air flew 3 times weekly from Kuala Lumpur to Hua Hin in 2012/13. It had special rates for golfers and their kit. The service ended in 2013.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There have been a variety of services introduced to/from HH over the years, both domestic and international, but they all seem to have suffered the same fate - insufficient regular numbers to make the service financially viable. There may be a few brief months when they might be able to make a profit, but as an ongoing business it doesn't seem to work - that's a shame but airlines can't afford to run at a loss.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

fczzsc wrote:
Is anybody out there who can shed some light on this mistery? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Stéphane
An important factor for operating larger aircraft from Hua Hin are the proximity of restricted airspace over the Royal Palace and also noise.
fczzsc
Novice
Novice

Post by fczzsc »

STEVE G wrote:
fczzsc wrote:

Stéphane
An important factor for operating larger aircraft from Hua Hin are the proximity of restricted airspace over the Royal Palace and also noise.
That's probably the only valid reason. As I said earlier, I am convinced, from bigger airports in Asia, you could get at least 3 flights a week going.
It's just a pity...
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

STEVE G wrote:
fczzsc wrote:

Stéphane
Could've saved a lot of money (both under and over the table) back at the turn of the century if the palace had been considered before extending the runway. When the new runway was inaugurated Thai Airways flew a 747 in and out - the one and only time that happened. Still, if they hadn't extended the runway they might never have found all that agent orange. We wouldn't have the tunnel either.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Changing the subject slightly..
Right from day one many folk agreed that H.H. a/pt was a 'brown envelope' job..
..is this also the case with this new harbour/marina that's being constructed to accomodate the H.H-Patts ferry..?
OK, Thailand's roads are famed for their death toll, but after using the airport bus service many, many times & feeling safe onboard, I think I'd opt for the new bus service to/from Patts before being tossed around on a sizable swell in the bay for ~ 4 hrs.