Increased security caused huge delays at Don Mueang

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
buksida

Increased security caused huge delays at Don Mueang

Post by buksida »

Don Mueang drops carry-on bag screenings amid delays
Airports of Thailand has dropped newly imposed security measures for all flights at Don Mueang airport after carry-on luggage screenings caused hours-long delays.

Three days after requiring all departing passengers to run both carry-on and checked bags through x-ray machines prior to checking in, AoT suspended the plan for domestic and international travellers at 3.30pm to ease long queues stemming from an insufficient number of scanners.

Travellers again will have only checked bags x-rayed before entering the check-in area and carry-ons will be scanned before passengers arrive at their gates, as usual.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... don-mueang

Don Mueang airport now back to normal security check after newly-imposed measure caused chaos
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/don-mu ... used-chaos
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Increased security caused huge delays at Don Mueang

Post by Big Boy »

Bonkers!!! If somebody has perceived the security threat great enough to require these checks, they should be getting more machines, not stopping the checks :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

I wonder how often they check for stolen passports against the Interpol database ... considering Thailand is the global hub for them I would have thought that would have been a greater security threat than someone trying to take a bottle of deodorant onto a plane.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Wow... so they tried to comply with interntional standards for about a day... :shock:
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

This is a typical nee-jerk reaction, as happens with everything else here. The "red flag" imposed by ICAO has nothing to do with passenger security. It has to do do with the worthless " I am better than you" attitude of the administration of International rules and regulations. They have been endlessly warned what will happen if they do not get their crap together and comply.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=30096
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I think this might have been connected to the political fallout from the ex-Bangkok chief cop who got arrested in Tokyo with a handgun in his luggage when trying to fly back to Thailand. There have been questions asked about how he flew out of Thailand with the gun in the first place and a couple of peoples jobs are on the line, so perhaps this whole episode was a demonstration of the difficulty of screening all baggage. Better to cock up Don Muang than Suvarnibhumi to make your point!
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Spot on Steve - I'm sure you're right
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote:I think this might have been connected to the political fallout from the ex-Bangkok chief cop who got arrested in Tokyo with a handgun in his luggage when trying to fly back to Thailand.
Still bonkers.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Big Boy wrote:Still bonkers.
You're right BB, but since when has common sense had anything to do with these sort of decisions..............
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Regardless of whatever reason, the first rule of engagement when the shite hits the fan is: create a diversion!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

There are several airports I've been through over the years where they X-Ray ALL luggage before check-in. Atatürk International Airport being one of the most efficient (strangely enough) IMHO and Delhi undoubtedly one of the worst.. I've actually managed to walk past 3 out of 4 checks before someone asked for a security stamp in the latter!! Absolute tossers.....

These security checks are there for a reason and rightly so - whilst I get pi$$ed off with delays at airports, I'm a tad happier if security is in place.... Far too many nutters around for my liking.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Extra security checks at Don Mung were not necessary at all since ALL bags are checked one way or the other before they are put on the plane. Why scan carry on twice? They should be scanning the checked baggage AFTER it is checked in as it could be easily tampered with before it is actually checked in. That's the way it is done at Swampy and most every other airport in the world.

This all reeks of the stupid non thinking bureaucrats coming up with an idea without thinking it through as to how it would really work.