Govt seeks fare hike for low-cost airlines

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Big Boy

Govt seeks fare hike for low-cost airlines

Post by Big Boy »

In a bid to help inter-provincial bus companies, the government plans to ask domestic low-cost airlines if they will raise their fares.

The move comes after Suchinda Cherdchai, owner of several major bus companies, filed a complaint with the government claiming that her business has been affected by domestic airlines.

Thailand's Minister of Transport, Air Chief Marshal Prajin Janthong, however, admits that it could be difficult as the government has no power over airlines in regards to fares

Full story: Bangkok Coconuts
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Govt seeks fare hike for low-cost airlines

Post by Bristolian »

^ Typical and ridiculous. Most, low cost, point to point airlines target bus, train and even car transportation prices. Someone once told me that this is called competition. Either compete, get out of the market or select routes and convenience that others can not offer.
Simple Really!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Please can I really get to Chiang Mai cheaper on a plane than I can on a bus from here ? Don't think so. Have to agree with Bristolian.

Crazy 88
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

I used to fly Bangkok to Chiand Mai once every couple of months with Nok air, i dont believe i ever paid more then 3,000 bahts rtn...well worth it in my view, i wouldn't even consider going any other way.
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The move comes after Suchinda Cherdchai, owner of several major bus companies, filed a complaint with the government claiming that her business has been affected by domestic airlines.
And this is why this country will never have ANY democratic form of government.

"Daddy, Daddy, those nasty airlines are taking my customers". FFS!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

"Daddy, Daddy, those nasty airlines are taking my customers". FFS!
Err... no... http://moneyminting.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... story.html but don't let facts get in the way.

However if the playing field is levelled (to the level of the buses) on all counts, including maintenance, insurance, training, etc. then I imagine the airlines could be even cheaper, despite crashing on a regular basis (rather like the buses).