RETURN FLIGHT FROM THAILAND

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
nij400

RETURN FLIGHT FROM THAILAND

Post by nij400 »

I need to book a return flight from BKK to LHR for next year ( May -Sept)
I have been looking at ebooker, kayak,and a couple others and getting some crazy prices.
Any tips on how or where and when i should book a flight to get the best possible flight and price.
Thanks for any advise :?
Marky_Mark

Re: RETURN FLIGHT FROM THAILAND

Post by Marky_Mark »

You can try the airlines website direct sites as they have been cheaper than the re-sellers lately
MnK
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Marky_Mark wrote:You can try the airlines website direct sites as they have been cheaper than the re-sellers lately
MnK
I just did a check with my favourite airline (Etihad) and they are quoting the equivalent of £1000 for a May-Sept return, which does seem fairly expensive - BA for the same dates were a bit cheaper at £900 but still quite expensive although of course BA is a direct flight, whereas Etihad is via Abu Dhabi - not sure what price you came up with nij400?
Gail

Post by Gail »

Try Cheaptickets.co.th I have found some really good prices on that site for Bangkok to Heathrow
nij400

Post by nij400 »

I have been prices around 700pounds but that with Turkish airlines with longish flight changes, i have never used them. Etihad i got quoted 1000ish, gonna try that other site now .
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

nij400 wrote:I have been prices around 700pounds but that with Turkish airlines with longish flight changes, i have never used them. Etihad i got quoted 1000ish, gonna try that other site now .
Because I am looking for a flight next year I also looked at the cheaptickets.com website and the cheapest fare using a decent airline (Qatar Airways) was about the same price as BA for a direct flight. There were a few cheaper flights quoted (Aeroflot via Moscow, Egypt Air via Cairo, Jet Airways via Delhi) but I wouldn't use any of these just to save about $200 and have long waits at airports.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was actually looking yesterday, and I agree, they are asking silly money when compared to the same flight originating from the UK.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I've always used lasminute.co.uk (no, you don't need to book at the last minute), but I've always gone London-->BKK<--London. I have no idea if they're competitive travelling in the opposite direction or not
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That works, but it's still pretty expensive. I've got a friend travelling here in January (booked this morning), and his return flights (in the opposite direction) are £520 with Qatar. Exactly the same dates on Last Minute (in the right direction) offer China Southern at £623 (I think there's a day stop over each way), and then Turkish Airlines at £727.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I think you are a little to early ,wait to jan- feb. i think you will get cheaper prices...
:cheers: :cheers:
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

My current ticket is a business class ticket which obviously is more expensive, but the flight from Frankfurt, was almost €1000 cheaper than the equivalent from Manchester. At that kind of saving, Ryanair to Germany and flying from there is a no brainer. It seems to me that almost all tickets from the UK are now more expensive. Flying econ, it may not quite be a big enough difference to make the jump to a European airport worthwhile, but it must affect business, I would think.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Korkenzieher wrote:My current ticket is a business class ticket which obviously is more expensive, but the flight from Frankfurt, was almost €1000 cheaper than the equivalent from Manchester. At that kind of saving, Ryanair to Germany and flying from there is a no brainer. It seems to me that almost all tickets from the UK are now more expensive. Flying econ, it may not quite be a big enough difference to make the jump to a European airport worthwhile, but it must affect business, I would think.
I'm sure you are correct, although the OP was looking for a flight Fromm BKK to the UK rather than UK to BKK. As has been mentioned by others, flights from BKK to the UK are always more expensive than from the UK to BKK.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Ah. OK. I had misread it then. Certainly, in general terms, I have found prices to be well up from a couple of years back.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

I think it's a bit too early to be looking as well - leave it until after New Year. But the other thing to consider - if you are prepared to take a bit of a risk - is to just go to Swampy and try for a standby single flight on Thai. (Or other airlines maybe - but Thai is probably the best bet.) The theory being that there will always be one or two Thai passengers who miss their flight.
Once back in the UK you could probably find an open return back to BKK which would be valid for up to a year, and overall it could work out cheaper than a BKK/LHR return. And if you are planning annual trips back to the UK you are then into a more economical way of doing it.
The other thing to consider of course is does it have to be LHR? There are BKK flights into Gatwick and any number of UK provincial airports, of which Manchester is probably the best cost wise, with a good rail link to anywhere.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Oddly enough Margaret, I often find rail fares are cheaper over London if you get them in advance at someplace like thetrainline.com

My obvious route would be Manchester to Yorkshire, but the saving I make by taking the train up from london, instead of the cross country from Manchester or Birmingham, is usually significantly more than any saving I make on the flight. Just recently - Birmingham international from Home in Yorkshire £73 but to Euston for a London flight £24 First Class!