Flying with Air India

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Flying with Air India

Post by nanyang »

I would appreciate any feedback regarding Air India.

They are, currently, offering the cheapest flights to the UK this summer - albeit 600 pounds.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Re: Flying with Air India

Post by brianks »

About 6-7 years ago I few them from LA to Frankfurt a few times. I called them the Duct Tape Airline because when you went to the bathroom all the enclosures were duct taped shut so they would not fall open. That says nothing about the sound system that did not work at my seat or Tray that was broken. Only good thing is not too many on plane and usually got a center row all to myself so I could sleep during flight. I did hope that the mechanics of the plane were maintained at a bit higher standard. Yes, I did say a prayer or too on the way.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

My advice: don't

I flew with them about 3 years ago.

We were given 2 boarding passes on checkin at heathrow, one to Delhi and one to BKK, as one would expect. When we arrived at Delhi airport anybody moving on to bkk was asked to gather in a small room. We were then relieved of our ongoing boarding pass and had to wait as names were called out, one-by-one, and we were presented with a new boarding pass. No checking of passports to see if we were the correct person or anything. Luckily my name was called sooner rather than later, but some poor sods were waiting well over an hour in that dingy little room.

We boarded the plane on time, but the flight was delayed for half an hour. In this time nothing was switched on. The sun was beating through the windows and there was no air con to cool us down. I nearly fainted once, and I think some poor lady at the back actually did. A couple of people threw up and the smell wafted around the plane.

For cheap rates I always use http://www.lastminute.com. I've flown here 11 times and every time it's bean either cheaper, or at the same price as, every other site and travel agent that I check with.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I have used them twice, good leg room, food q nice (i like indian curry) but quite dis organised and had to re issue boarding passes. We took refuge in the VIP lounge using 'Airport Angel' which I get through my bank.
If you are laid back and can take a bit of Chaos you will be fine, if that sort of thing winds you up I would stick to the Arab airlines.

Oh they did misplace my luggage for 24h hrs!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Don't. Their talent for organizing is equalled only by the way they speak English. Chaotic.
A friend is only one click away
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Stopped over in New Delhi once - not even on any Indian carriers' flight - never again. But if you do go for it get a colostomy bag fitted...
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

:lach:

Sound advice Mags - sound advice 8)
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

In Bombay no rice and curry. In Calcutta plenty rice and curry - if you hurry!
(To be pronounced with a heavy Indian accent).
A friend is only one click away
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Unofficial strike

Air travel in India has been thrown into chaos and holidaymakers left stranded after more than 350 pilots called in "sick" as part of an unofficial strike.

The protest "sickie" at national carrier Air India is causing major delays around the world as dozens of flights have been cancelled.

In an unusual move bosses at Air India sent a battalion of doctors around to the homes of the "sick" pilots to see if they were really ill.

Many of them were not even at home and were instantly dismissed - a move which has deepened the standoff between staff and bosses.

Aviation authorities have so far sacked 70 pilots.

The Delhi High Court has declared the strike, which is now well into its second week, illegal.

Air India's problems run deep with major staffing problems and mounting debts.

The illegal strike centres on a dispute over who should fly the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner .

Air India is a new creation born out of a merger between Indian Airlines and the old Air India on February 27, 2011.

But despite there now being just one company the pilots are divided and at each other's throats.

Aviators who worked for the old Air India claim they should take precedence and be the only ones trained up to fly the new Boeings, as their job description is long-haul flying.

They argue that former Indian Airline pilots should not be allowed to take control of the new aircrafts.

But the management says Air India is now a single corporate entity and they have the right to decide which pilots are sent into the new cockpits.

The company will take delivery of four of the planes by the end of this year.

However, the disruption has left thousands of people stranded and Air India is haemorrhaging money.

An official for the government owned company said: "The total loss in the week is around £20.2m.

"We have faced ticket cancellations, unused labour and a bulk of our 777s fleet are grounded."

India's pilots' association has now asked for the government to intervene and set up preliminary talks.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

And they are still advertising 'Incredible India'
Simply World Class.................... :banghead:
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Terry wrote:And they are still advertising 'Incredible India'
Simply World Class.................... :banghead:
Incredibly f**cking stupid pilots that should consider the fact that they have prestigious jobs in a developing country.

Unprofessional conduct that could make the airline go bust, can't help but think over inflated ego's and deluded self importance and superiority over their fellow colleagues.

Kendo. :roll:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

I live in India mostly. I will NEVER fly Air India or Indian Airlines (now same company) Government run should say it all. Safety, rubber bands and bubble gum are components. Stay away. Fly another airline but never fly these. You have been warned. Please head this advise.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!