Trip Report - Flying With Jet Airways

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Big Boy

Trip Report - Flying With Jet Airways

Post by Big Boy »

I've already discussed the potential admin problems of flying with this airline on another thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&p=253025#p253025 ). However, we often get asked for opinions of particular airlines on the forum. This is my report from Sunday's flight from Heathrow to Bangkok using Jet Airways.

Firstly, as well as being a bit of a cheap Charlie when buying airline tickets, because we were emigrating to Thailand this time, I thought it would be wise to choose an airline with a large baggage allowance. Jet offer 32Kgs as standard, and we utilised every gram.

Check in was fairly painless. I admitted that my son's circumstances were a bit unusual, but after checking with her supervisor, we were permitted to travel without any bother.

We boarded the aircraft (Boeing 777-300) on time, and actually departed 5 minutes early. The interior of the plane was clean, and there was plenty of leg room (I'm 6' 5.5" tall).

Each seat had an individual, on-demand entertainment system with a good selection of movies etc.

Food was take it or leave it. The only choice was chicken or vegetarian. It was quite acceptable taste wise, and the chicken wraps were actually memorable.

Service was poor after the initial round of drinks/food. However, there was plenty laid out in the galley, and you could just help yourself.

Then we landed at Mumbai :cry: :cry: :cry:

Of course, it was absolutely nothing to do with Jet, but just a consequence of flying with them. Security was chaotic to say the least, and absolutely disgusting at worst. Key points of Mumbai security were:

- Ignorant Asians not wanting to do the British thing and queue. Pushing in always makes me see red, and the outcome was not unusual - a few sore Asians :oops:

- Men one way, and women another. I've written about this when travelling through Delhi. The women get searched in the most intimate of places, without any dignity being shown.

- Going for a pee, and getting fleeced for a tip. No chance from me, but Mrs BB is always a soft touch in such situations.

- Being overweight, my man boobs are not small. Being stood on a platform with the security guard playing with my left nipple. I kept my cool until he invited his colleague to play as well. His colleague backed away rather sharpish.

- Being called forward for our flight, my wife and I got through gate control, and my son got stopped. By all accounts there was nothing wrong, but the security guard who stopped him was looking for a tip to smooth his passage. Fortunately, my son was carrying no money, so it was Farang 1 - 0 Security Guard. My son eventually boarded the plane about 15 minutes after us.

The second plane (Boeing 737-800) was a little smaller in terms of legroom etc, but it was still clean. Service and facilities mirrored that on the first flight.

Finally, to end the trip report, our arrival at Bangkok - my son was travelling without a passport. My wife and I went to the Thai queue at immigration (there were just 2 people in front of us). My wife went forward with all travel documents (2 passports and 1 Certificate of Identity). This blew the Immigration Officer's mind, and he had to call for help. We were all told to step back.

The boss man then arrived, and I was sent through first - no problem.

My wife went next, and she had problems. Her Thai passport was only a few weeks old, and her previous passport was 10 years expired. After a lot deliberation, the Immigration Officer could do nothing but admit her - she had a valid travel document, and was returning home.

Then my son's turn. Instead of sending him forward, with me and his mother the other side of barrier they marched him off. We could do nothing! Eventually, he re-appeared from a door about 20 yards to the left of where we'd last seen him. From what I can gather, he simply acted dumb, and claimed not to be able to speak Thai. His paperwork for entry to Thailand was in order (and we'd checked this out several times already). He was basically told that he had to be registered on his mother's Tabien Ban, and he had to get an ID Card immediately (we knew this anyway).

Overall impressions - JET Airways - you get what you pay for. I'd probably rate it above Thai Airways, but not as good as Middle East carriers. The additional baggage allowance was invaluable for a family emigrating to Thailand. Would I use them again? That's a big YES

Mumbai - it's in India. Do I need to say more?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Trip Report - Flying With Jet Airways

Post by richard »

Welcome Neal :cheers: :cheers:

The usual minor earthquake did not occur this time when you touched down as I've seen your pics on flicker. BB is going to have to change to SB (skinny boy) :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the report as I'm going back to the UK for a month (money permitting) in late August and I have completely lost touch with airline info other than that read on the forum. Thinking of Ethihad at the moment but would appreciate input from anybody

Cheers pal
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Etihad, as with all Middle Eastern airlines offer IMHO exceptional value for money. The key thing with all Middle East airlines is stopover times - from memory, Etihad aren't too bad.

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Big Boy wrote:Etihad, as with all Middle Eastern airlines offer IMHO exceptional value for money. The key thing with all Middle East airlines is stopover times - from memory, Etihad aren't too bad.
Cheers

Currently looking at 700 quid with only a 2 hour stop over

One other question forum people

Can you provisionally book but not pay until you confirm? I've always used an agent friend before in BK but he always takes a cut so looking to book on-line

Cheap Charlie tyke :laugh: :laugh:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Richard just a thought try Westeast Travel from London, here you go :thumb:

http://www.westeasttravel.com/

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

richard wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Etihad, as with all Middle Eastern airlines offer IMHO exceptional value for money. The key thing with all Middle East airlines is stopover times - from memory, Etihad aren't too bad.
Cheers

Can you provisionally book but not pay until you confirm? I've always used an agent friend before in BK but he always takes a cut so looking to book on-line

Have a look at WEFLY..I paid for 3 adults tp Phuket (more expensive I think than BKK) just 8 weeks approx ago £5355 each

3 Adults
£137.80 fare + £397.33 taxes = £535.13 each x 3 adults = £1,605.39
3 Passengers
Total: £1,605.39

This was Singapore airlines...a good airline, good food, quite spacious too. :)

I just did a dummy run and it came out under £500 from BKK.

http://secure.wefly.co.uk/index.php
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

richard wrote: One other question forum people

I couldn't put hand on heart and swear it, but I'm reasonably sure that you can't make a provisional booking online, only an authorised agent can do that..............doubtless though, someone will prove me wrong :blues:
:duck: :banghead:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

aragon wrote:
richard wrote: One other question forum people

I couldn't put hand on heart and swear it, but I'm reasonably sure that you can't make a provisional booking online, only an authorised agent can do that..............doubtless though, someone will prove me wrong :blues:
:duck: :banghead:
No I'm certain you are correct Aragon, book on line and you have to pay in full.

Richard, as many including me have said before on this subject, there isn't a great deal of difference between the service levels of the Middle East carriers, so if you intend booking online, try to find the best price/timing options and go with whoever comes up trumps. I used to work in Abu Dhabi so have a soft spot (and a Gold card) with Etihad, but Emirates and Qatar are about the same quality, with Gulf and Oman almost on a par, just not sure that their connections are as good.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Richard:
I travelled back to the UK a couple of times last year, and we're flying out on Friday for the biennial 'duty trip'. We always look at the sites below to see who's doing the cheapest deal, then pop along to our local travel agent and give him the details about which airline we want to fly with (obviously with a ball-park price in mind).

Good sites to find out who's doing the best deal are: Moxtravel, Kayak, Cheaptickets, or Skyscanner. Just Google the name and you should be able to find them.

VS
P.S. We're flying Uzbekistan Airways this time and having a 7-day stop-over in Uzbekistan on the way home. Friday 13th....unknown airline....yikes :?
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Thanks one and all but my goal posts have moved. I now in tend coming back via Turkey so everything back in the melting pot :(
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Siani wrote:
richard wrote:
Cheers

Have a look at WEFLY..I paid for 3 adults tp Phuket (more expensive I think than BKK) just 8 weeks approx ago £5355 each

3 Adults
£137.80 fare + £397.33 taxes = £535.13 each x 3 adults = £1,605.39
3 Passengers
Total: £1,605.39

This was Singapore airlines...a good airline, good food, quite spacious too. :)

I just did a dummy run and it came out under £500 from BKK.

http://secure.wefly.co.uk/index.php
Sorry meant toi say £535 each..return not £5355 each!!!!!!!! Quite good really.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

richard wrote:Thanks one and all but my goal posts have moved. I now in tend coming back via Turkey so everything back in the melting pot :(
The men do the massage in Turkey Richard old mate. :shock:

Kendo. :roll:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Richard, if you're considering Turkish Airlines I've not heard many good things about them, and they tend to have long stopovers (often unadvertised). You'd be better off risking having your nipples played with en-route via India, and save yourself a few bob on the way. Go Jet :D

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Thanks guys

Turkey it has to be as I have a friend who has offered to put me up in his villa
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Big Boy wrote:Richard, if you're considering Turkish Airlines I've not heard many good things about them, and they tend to have long stopovers (often unadvertised). You'd be better off risking having your nipples played with en-route via India, and save yourself a few bob on the way. Go Jet :D

That's interesting BB. I used to fly with Turkish airlines all the time when I was working month on month off in the UK, and I never had anything bad to say about them. I used fly from Heathrow - Istanbul - Bangkok, with the stop over in Istanbul being just long enough to have a quick cup of coffee.

Having said that, I've not returned home or to the UK in the last 10 years, so of course things could well have changed.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact