Trip Report - Flying With Jet Airways

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Big Boy

Re: Trip Report - Flying With Jet Airways

Post by Big Boy »

I must admit, they are an airline that I've never tried. I'm only reporting hearsay based on what friends have told me. It's not a single bad report that I've heard, but many - I am a cheap Charlie i.e. I don't like to pay more than the going price when I fly. However, based on friends reports, I would never consider Turkish.

We have to remember that all airlines have problems from time to time. I've had several unexpectedly long stopovers over the years due to technical problems. However the people who flew the same airline the day before and the day after probably had a fault free flight.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

richard wrote:Thanks guys

Turkey it has to be as I have a friend who has offered to put me up in his villa

You sure don't make it easy do you Richard? But aye lad - too good to miss. So would you be better looking at getting singles each way with maybe 3 different airlines?
Yes I know the Swampy/UK leg would work out more, but maybe a UK/Turkey budget flight might balance things out a bit. Only trouble of course with the budgets is the baggage allowance.

Can confirm though that online bookings are charged immediately - I just booked one. Unfortunately not to the LOS!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Third Visit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Third Visit »

Hi,

Travelling to HH via BKK using Jet Airways in a couple of weeks. Any update on Mumbai or Dehli airports? Is security still a nightmare?

Ian
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Third Visit wrote:Hi,

Travelling to HH via BKK using Jet Airways in a couple of weeks. Any update on Mumbai or Dehli airports? Is security still a nightmare?

Ian

Mumbai is not great but Delhi is pretty new, very modern and lots of facilities for the InTransit passenger - a good experience.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

I just went from Hyderabad to Delhi to BKK. No problems transiting through Delhi, but it is a time of day thing and wasn't crowded.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Ian
What exactly are your concerns? Are you leaving the terminal for some time? Are you just transiting?
The only current security concerns are if you are a Female, there is an increased chance of being molested, raped or both. Aside from that, all ok.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

SunandFun wrote:

Ian
What exactly are your concerns? Are you leaving the terminal for some time? Are you just transiting?
The only current security concerns are if you are a Female, there is an increased chance of being molested, raped or both. Aside from that, all ok.
I think the poster is referring to the security checks at the airport rather than physical security. I used Jet a few times a couple of years ago and the security at Mumbai was a disorganised fiasco run by the Indian Army. I haven't been there recently but I just had a look at a travel review website and the comments suggest that it hasn't changed much.
Generally though, Jet is a good deal considering what they charge and I would use them again accepting that you're going to have to grit your teeth a bit in Mumbai.

"Mumbai airport is a blot among the International Airports."
http://www.airlinequality.com/Airports/ ... um/bom.htm
Third Visit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Third Visit »

..we're just transiting - so hopefully just going from one gate to another. Outward through Mumbai, return through Delhi. I'm concerned about the reported molesting at security.

Ian
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Third Visit wrote:..we're just transiting - so hopefully just going from one gate to another. Outward through Mumbai, return through Delhi. I'm concerned about the reported molesting at security.

Ian
The security checks should be standard on that side of the fence. Usually they let you leave the airport before molesting you or raping you. And in the queues, at the airport, if you are male or a couple, it should be ok. In India, the queues are horizontal and not one behind the other, so don't be afraid to correct some of these "creative ass holes." Occasionally you get some Indian men who have been drinking while waiting in the lounge and they can be a bit of a problem. They seem to want to start their holiday a little early. So just "protect your personal space" and you will be fine. Security and the airlines usually do a good job of keeping this in check. But, TII. (This is India) If you don't have to change planes then there will be no problem at all. I travel from Delhi regularly and there has been nothing I could not handle.
Happy Travels.
:cheers:
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Third Visit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Third Visit »

..have to say Jet Airways seems to be s good option. I think we all want space on a flight, and at the moment the flights look very light - I've been able to book good seats via the web and if available seats is anything to go by, we could find ourselves moving back to strech out.

We flew in and out of Mumbai for a holiday in India about 6 years ago, and in/out of Trivandrum the year before and experienced no memorable bad experiences (but lots of nice ones in Kerela) which is why I was concerned about this topic. If anything inappropriate is experienced I'll let you know, but hopefully all will be OK

Ian
bubbly
Professional
Professional

Post by bubbly »

I've flown to los through India twice. Once with jet and once with Air india. Its hassle i can do without and for the sake of a £30 or therabouts saving?? well i'll pay that little bit more and fly with another airline. I don't really like being frogmarched by an indian soldier with a gun from one airport gate,to another(along with the rest of the plane transfering to the UK) and being given the option of putting the duty free bottle i bought in BKK into the luggage hold or into the bin.That was the Mumbai experience.On another occasion, changing through Delhi,my friend had her zippo lighter taken from her. It was a gift and a quite expensive one,with a quite sentimental value also. As they tried to confiscate it from her,i saw the guards face drop as she took the innereds out of the lighter and kept the casing!!!! She tossed the part where you fill with lighter fluid, into the bin and put the expensive casing back into her bag. I'm kinda guessing if she'd submitted all of the lighter,it would have been on sale in some delhi market the next day!!!!
Howay the Lads!!!!
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

transiting through Delhi was no problem. did it twice this month. separate screening for men and women. remember to get tag for carry one. Decent little transit hotel if you have a long layover.
Third Visit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Third Visit »

Having returned now I want to just let you all know my thoughts about Jet Airways.

Outward (LHR BOM) the flight was OK - not full, but the cabin crew just didn't seem to care. We had lots of room, but getting water to drink wasn't easy! No tours by the stewards offering soft drinks (or alchohol), and we landed in BOM feeling quite dehydrated. Also safety checks seemed a bit casual. Transit was fine. BOM BKK was fine.

Return. BKK DEL was full, but no complaints. Transit was also fine. DEL LHR was also full, but my wife and I were amused by the lack of understanding my many passengers about how to use the toilets. Many passengers (who appeared Indian) didn't lock the doors, and (from my my visits) flush the toilets. The signs (toilet locking and flushing) may be obvious to English speaking travellers, but there's no doubt some people just didn't kow what to do. Maybe the safety videos need to be expanded to include bathroom useage just to explain how things work.

I'd be very happy to use Jet Airways again (because of ease of seat booking) but my wife just won't consider it because of the way other passengers just didn't know how to use the toilets.

Summary: The cabin crew were just OK - not a patch on Thai, Singapore, or Emirates in terms of looking after passengers, and the safety checks (seats upright, baggage, etc on take-off/landing) weren't done. The flights were on time, and in-flight facilities (entertainment and meals) were fine.