Thai Airways International - Economy Class

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Thai Airways International - Economy Class

Post by Terry »

Has anyone noticed the drop off in the so called quality of service of Thai Airways International, recently? I mean - it's hardly smooth as silk anymore :twisted:

Example 1)

I was working in wonderful incredible Delhi between May 2009 and February 2011 and found myself traveling back and forth on THAI maybe a dozen times. NOT ONCE did they change the menu in economy class - it was always Chicken & Rice or Vegetarian.............. As time progressed, the movies disappeared and so did the glass of wine or a G&T and a bag of peanuts. For this dubious pleasure they were charging THB 20 - 24,000 return :guns:

Example 2)

Now I am working on and off in Hanoi - since April 2011 and have made the journey 5 times so far. For a FULL economy ticket ranging between THB 11,000 and 16,000 on Thai, you get a wonderful cardboard box with orange juice, water, some cold meat salad and a piece of crappy cake. No wine - unless you grovel or make a scene and not even a hot bread roll. :banghead:

OK - now I know that this is economy and I know that times are hard but seriously, just because Thai Airways have the prime time slots for flights, does it mean that we have to put up with shite service? :tsk:

As a long time frequent flier with Thai I am now booking with Qatar Airways (Whom I have experienced before on flights to Doha - and they are superb).

I can get a business class ticket on Qatar - Bangkok/Hanoi/Bangkok - for THB 17,000 - its a no brainer as far as I am concerned :shock:

Will report on the Qatar flight at the end of the month when I have experienced it. :duck:
lizzy

Re: Thai Airways International - Economy Class

Post by lizzy »

I love Qatar and have just flown back to Europe with them.
I need a ticket for July/ August and thought I might check Thai prices as they now fly fom Brussels - price available 1,500+ Euros , one way , economy! Can fly Qatar buisness class for far less.

Thai have lost my custom.
Francois
Professional
Professional

Post by Francois »

Terry wrote:Will report on the Qatar flight at the end of the month when I have experienced it. :duck:

Hi Terry,

I had a bad experience with Qatar. Here below are the comments I wrote on my blog.

http://vivrehuahin.blogspot.com/

</>
We flew from Thailand to Paris September 15, 2011 by Qatar Airways

The flight QR 613 left on time but I am disappointed by the quality of comfort on board. Seats are narrow and the pitch between each row is small.

Michele swear by all the gods that she will no longer use that company. There is such a lack of comfort and space as well as the failure of recreational equipment on board. We had first to loosen the handset and then had to change it two times before having sound, and only on one channel.

9:15, Doha time:
This time, it's the complete entertainment system that crashes. The hostess set up the same movie for all, the remote control becomes inoperative, there is no sound. I report it to Monika, one of our flight attendant, who tells me that this is normal and that's all she could do. A passenger behind me gives voice, then another, then a third ... In short everyone gasp. I suggest to the hostess to reset the system, and finally, the purser made what should have been done earlier, to reset the entire system. Since then, it seems to work.

I had the same problem with all flights this year with Qatar Airways. My daughter also on her flights on late July and late August ... By counting all family members that's 32 flights.

13:00 Doha time:
Boarding will start, we reach the door 12. After the various controls and as there are no satellites with boarding bridges built in Doha, we catch a bus. We will stay more than 20 minutes at the foot of the plane, locked in the bus, the sun provides us generously a temperature of 38 ° C. The bus may be well conditioned, but it's not very comfortable ...

But this is not the end. Once in the plane, the air conditioning system breaks down. It lasted a little over 20 minutes.

It's still not finished ... My seat couldn't recline correctely and not fully. I am not alone in this case. The seat of Michèle couldn't recline too, nor the one of our neighbor ... In short, the black series continues.

It seems that Qatar Airways was voted Airline of the year. Right, but what about the other companies...

In all honesty, I must say that the crew is doing his job properly and does his best to please us. He deserves a big applause.

Well yes ... The individual entertaintment system from Michele's seat does not work (seat 28A). This is the second flight in one day where it occurs ...

2:34 p.m.
The flight attendant has just become a mechanic, she repaired a seat, mine, and moved passengers so that they can find a little comfort.

Having said this, one can decently ask whether Qatar Airways maintains properly its cabin space. Is Qatar Airways more demanding for aircraft maintenance? I do not know but I express serious doubts about the safety on board aircraft of Qatar Airlines.Il seems that Qatar Airlines was voted Airline of the year. What must it be for other airlines.

I would not recommend this company to my friends, because a company that saves on maintenance and overhaul is not sure and I want to keep their friendship ...
<\>
François
And me, still the most self satisfied of men
I was almost as drunk as myself
(Jacques Brel)
Francois
Professional
Professional

Post by Francois »

Francois wrote:
Terry wrote:Will report on the Qatar flight at the end of the month when I have experienced it. :duck:

Hi Terry,

I had a bad experience with Qatar. Here below are the comments I wrote on my blog.
Last article on my blog:

</>
Tuesday, October 4, I published a post in which I wondered about the safety on board aircraft of Qatar Airways.

Wednesday, October 5, the airline offered me a 3000 Q miles as compensation, but this required that I take them a loyalty card, in other words that I continue to use a company that I do not feel safe.

Saturday, October 17, passengers on the flight from Paris to Doha were stuck 10 hours on the tarmac of Roissy due to technical damage.

So, without wanting to be a Cassandra, I really can not recommend this airline for your flights to Thailand.
<\>
François
(Jacques Brel)
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Very interesting Francoise - thanks for that

I traveled twice in economy and 6 times in business on Qatar - Bangkok / Doha / Bangkok and one trip Singapore / Doha / Bangkok.

I can honestly say that the service and punctuality on all these flights was tops

Well - I've paid the dosh - booked the flight and will travel Bangkok / Hanoi on Sunday 29 Jan
I will report on the flight
Assuming I survive :P
Francois
Professional
Professional

Post by Francois »

Terry wrote:Very interesting Francoise - thanks for that
I can honestly say that the service and punctuality on all these flights was tops

Hi again :-)

To be honest too, the service is more than correct and flight attendants are friendly.

Having worked 42 years in the aviation sector, I can not help but think that an airline that fails to maintain proper cabin may be inclined to cut corners on aircraft maintenance.

But it has nothing to do with the timeliness or the smile of the cabin crew :mrgreen:
François
(Jacques Brel)
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

It's still not finished ... My seat couldn't recline correctely and not fully. I am not alone in this case. The seat of Michèle couldn't recline too, nor the one of our neighbor ... In short, the black series continues.

Maybe some previous pissed off passengers disabled the recline on those seats....I just love those passengers who get on the aircraft and recline their seat for no apparent reason with absolutely no thought or consideration for their fellow passenger in the seat behind them.....if you recline to sleep fair enough. :rant:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Francois wrote:...........
Having worked 42 years in the aviation sector, I can not help but think that an airline that fails to maintain proper cabin may be inclined to cut corners on aircraft maintenance.

But it has nothing to do with the timeliness or the smile of the cabin crew :mrgreen:
Thanks Francois - so the crew will still be smiling when we are about to have that emergency landing ... :banghead:

Makes me feel real good :wink:

Having said that, there have been many Thai flights that I have been on, where the equipment doesn't work either
Francois
Professional
Professional

Post by Francois »

sateeb wrote:Maybe some previous pissed off passengers disabled the recline on those seats....I just love those passengers who get on the aircraft and recline their seat for no apparent reason with absolutely no thought or consideration for their fellow passenger in the seat behind them.....if you recline to sleep fair enough. :rant:
what happened to me happened on several flights in February, June and September. It does not happen only to me but to my wife too, my daughter and her husband as well as to my three grandchildren.

We can no longer see this as a result of malicious acts or as the result of coincidences.

I like Oman Air, which has recent and in perfect condition aircraft, a friendly cabin crew and a very good service. For tall guys, the pitch between the seats is a spacious 34 inches with regards to the average and common 82 inches.

I will travel with confidence with them tonight for a great price of 690 euros for a return ticket.
François
(Jacques Brel)
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I think the cynicism was lost on him there...................
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Qatar Airways Business Class – Bangkok to Hanoi

Herewith trip report on my experiences as promised.

Thai Airways economy ticket price THB 15,000 – return
Qatar Airways Business Class – THB 17,325 – return

Qatar – From my drop off at Swampy departures, check in, security and immigration fast track, total time into the terminal – less than 10 minutes
Thai – Judging by how busy the airport was last night, I would have been in for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour for the same process
Straight into Thai Royal Orchid Business Lounge – not available to Thai economy passengers unless you carry a gold card.
On board
Qatar – two glasses of Laurent Perrier Champers before take-off in a very nice spacious Business Class Seat. There was no choice of menu (Frankly, I did not expect it on a 1 ½ hr flight) – Stir fried chicken with carrots, French beans and rice, a huge bowl of fresh fruits and a large mug of cappuccino - + another champers (This is now ½ a bottle of the stuff!) – Pleasant and efficient cabin crew
Thai – from previous post – cramped seat, no alcohol and a cardboard box of second rate food. Cabin crew ok but never that pleasant.
Arrival at Hanoi
Baggage within 5 minutes in the arrival hall – to be fair – as a Thai silver card Thai flyer I always get my baggage quickly – but this would not necessarily be the case (‘scuse pun) for your non card carrying passenger.

One minor complaint – the incoming flight from Qatar was 40 minutes late and thus departed 30 minutes late – we eventually arrived in Hanoi 15 minutes late.
Having said that – I’ve been late several times with Thai also.
So – as one who has flown many hundreds of times and sees it as frankly no more than a necessity would I book Qatar again on this route?
As previously stated – it’s a no brainer – of course I will