EVA Airways

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Lee1975
Professional
Professional

EVA Airways

Post by Lee1975 »

Looking to book my flight for December and the cheapest direct flight is with EVA Airways for £600 from London Heathrow, now I want to book as early as possible due to the fact that all this talk about increasing Aviation fuel tax etc etc.

Has anyone flown with EVA Airways before? Can anyone shed some feedback?

Much obliged.
The only things I regret are the things I didn't do
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: EVA Airways

Post by Terry »

Used to use them a lot between Bangkok and Tapei and once to London and back.

Excellent safety record

Try getting the 'Economy Deluxe' - Business class sized seat with economy service.

Food a bit bland but cabin crew always helpful

Good value for money

Recomended for the price :thumb:
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

Lee
IMHO Eva is the best airline to fly to Bangkok on from LHR.
As Terry says Elite class (premium economy) has a lot bigger seat than economy, but economy is about 32" which is better than most airlines on the route.
In economy evry seat has it's own TV which I believe that Thai still does not have.
The food is airline food and they are all pretty similar, I have had good and poor days with Eva.
The times are good for me, night flight out, day flight back and to bed at midnight for a nice nights kip, this will depend where in the UK you live because it can be a pain for folks up north.
For any BMs up north or in Scotland or Ireleand, look to connect with the Eva flight from Amsterdam.
Unless you are a desperate smoker I should not bother with the flights where you need to change unless the difference in cost is very big.
FWIW I had a reward flight with Eva last time, used all my miles up for a free Elite class flight, I just had to pay the tax, a mere £259, no wonder we all want to live in Hua Hin. :)
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

Just an add on, for Eva check out
Evaair.com
ourstravel.com
westeasttravel.com
southalltravel.com
These are usually the best companies for Eva discounts from the UK.
Lee1975
Professional
Professional

Post by Lee1975 »

Cheers Terry & Gus,Thanks for the feedback.
It is the cheapest Direct flight I could find for the festive period. Looks good.
Now I've also found an indirect flight with Oman for £460, the stopover on each leg in Muscat is only 1.5 hours. I never fly indirect but it will save £150. oooooh what to do :roll: Have looked at the Oman thread here and they seem pretty good aswell.
I do smoke Gus but I can handle 12-14 hours without one. It's just the excitement of getting to HH I cant handle :naughty:
The only things I regret are the things I didn't do
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Never flown Eva Air personally, but have heard good things from friends who have flown the London - Bangkok route.

''SKYTRAX'' is a good site for customer reviews of airlines, airports etc. The following link is to the customer reviews of Eva Air.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/eva.htm
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Lee1975 wrote:Looking to book my flight for December and the cheapest direct flight is with EVA Airways for £600 from London Heathrow, now I want to book as early as possible due to the fact that all this talk about increasing Aviation fuel tax etc etc.

Has anyone flown with EVA Airways before? Can anyone shed some feedback?

Much obliged.
Hi Have not used EVA but look at the ASDA travel site. Flights to BKK from approx £350 one way and about £560 return various airways. http://www.asda-travel.co.uk/
cookmanchef
Professional
Professional

Post by cookmanchef »

Used them a few times, better than most for direct flights. Join their frequent flyers club if you have any worries about luggage, you will get an additional allowance, think you can also check-in online which means arriving at LHR later and a simple bag drop
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Favorite airlines for us from the States. Economy larger than most and service good
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Hi Mate we have used Eva the last four times I agree they are not bad but the food is very average and now you have to ask for salt and pepper sachets I know it sounds petty but the food really needs it.
The interactive tv's have the latest films in January I remember we watched the Social Network.
I would give them 8 out of 10.
Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Flown EVA across the Pacific three times. Twice on a 747, once on some Airbus. Each time took the class they slot between economy and business. The 747 seats were beyond my expectation, as I'd only ever flown coach. Comfortable and got good sleep. Seats in the same class on the Airbus were crap. Sure, there was more room than the sardines in coach, but that extra room didn't translate into extra comfort except for leg room.

Ratio of passengers to crew is much lower in this class than economy. It was like flying in the days when the stewardess were there to serve the passengers.

Had no complaints about the food.

If your flight goes through Taipei, google for the Evergreen Transit Hotel. For $10 (2008 price) one can get a shower, sauna and there's a room to hangout with internet, newspapers and really bad coffee, but ok tea.
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

The bad bits first: Eva's food is awful and you have to be persistent to get drinks. The cabin service is not as good as Thai (though Thai's standards have fallen a lot in the past 3 years or so, IMO). I think the cattle class seats are quite cramped (Taiwanese must be even smaller than Thais)
The good news is that the seats in Elite (premium economy) are fantastic. The extra comfort is really worth it. The in-flight entertainment is pretty good too. Elite gets its own check in queue too.
Eva is our first choice for the LHR BKK trip.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Lee1975 wrote:Cheers Terry & Gus,Thanks for the feedback.
It is the cheapest Direct flight I could find for the festive period. Looks good.
Now I've also found an indirect flight with Oman for £460, the stopover on each leg in Muscat is only 1.5 hours. I never fly indirect but it will save £150. oooooh what to do :roll: Have looked at the Oman thread here and they seem pretty good aswell.
I do smoke Gus but I can handle 12-14 hours without one. It's just the excitement of getting to HH I cant handle :naughty:
personally i prefer to get on the plane & get off at my destination, especially the depressing return journey :(
stopovers just ain't for me.
the price is cheap for direct & eva are pretty good, so it seems it will come down to either saving £140 for a little disruption to the journey, or not :idea: :mrgreen:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

My last few flights have been with Eva and I find everything ok, even the space in the cattle class seats. They're reasonable about luggage weight as well, as long as checking in early. My only grumble would be that there always seem to be delays! Last time from Thailand over an hour late.

But as Gus says, the evening flight from LHR is a bonus. I used to go to work on a Friday with my bag all packed and then have a couple of beers after work and then a cab or lift to the airport - helps if you work in West London! :thumb:

Will probaly travel with them next time as cheaper than the other 3 direct flights and modern planes and facilities.
Talk is cheap
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

redzonerocker wrote:
Lee1975 wrote:Cheers Terry & Gus,Thanks for the feedback.
personally i prefer to get on the plane & get off at my destination, especially the depressing return journey :(
stopovers just ain't for me.
the price is cheap for direct & eva are pretty good, so it seems it will come down to either saving £140 for a little disruption to the journey, or not :idea: :mrgreen:
I've always had the stop over, 1.5-3 hours, I can't say I prefer it as I've never gone direct but I really don't mind it.

It gives you chance to stretch your legs and have a fag. I'm a smoker by habit rather than craving so could do without it but still think I'd have the stop over given the choice, especially for a better price.

:cheers: