Oman Airlines?

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Big Boy

Re: Oman Airlines?

Post by Big Boy »

8th Sept returning 6th (£376), 9th (£376) or 10th (£376) Oct is available with Oman.

6th (£376), 7th (£450.50) or 10th (£376) Nov available with a variety of return dates available with Oman.

I found WestEast Travel offered the best prices, but NetFlights were only £2 dearer.

[Edit] Prices with WestEast added. I've done individual enquiries for you. That £124 could buy a lot of Sangsom :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

richard wrote:4 hours Mags?

You could have swum it over to spurn point in 3. With a tail wind of course!!!
Yeah - it's that first little Fokker out of Bumbleside in the mornings Richard. If it takes off on time it makes the radio news and gets a round of applause in my house!

But thanks to BB for that info on year round prices. Baggage allowance is a bonus too these days. It will be interesting to hear what the service is like as and when - and whether Oman can sustain those fares. :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I see the prices are starting to creep up already. Now £383.50 with NetFlights and £401 with WestEast - that's £50 I've saved already :D

Jimmy Geaves made some comment on their Customer Services. After booking over a week ago, I e-mailed customer Services with a couple of basic (important to me) questions. I'm still awaiting a response. I will hasten them later, and I'll report back on how fast they respond.

Points 41; Position 18
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

As I am working in Oman and have travelled on OmanAir over the last 2-3 years, I thought some comments would be of help.

Firstly, OmanAir are a relatively young airline when it comes to 'International Flights'. I think it was about 3 years ago they started operating to LGW with old ex portugese airlines A330, now they have new A330s and fly to LHR, as well as every other day to BKK, from Muscat anyway. The service has improved recently with a more mixed nationality crew, and the in flight ent is very good, and I think apart from one time I have quite often arrived early, maybe different now that they are attracting more passengers. As for the prices, with OA competing with the likes of GulfAir, (a much worse airline) and even Emirates they will obviously put prices up as service improves. The baggage allowance with OA is very good.

Finally, the seasonal price fluctuations with OA is a little different to what your used to in Europe as people here in Oman have differing travel needs, what with public holidays etc, so watch for price changes well in advance.

Hope this helps.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Thats very useful - thanks all - I'm passing on the info now to 2 couples who can access - or don't mind the trail to - LHR.
For me I'll stick to Humberside (or Manchester at a push) due to the hassle and cost of getting to Southern airports these days! Always good to know there is upcoming competition though to the more established carriers. :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Green Nomad wrote: The baggage allowance with OA is very good.

Checked this yesterday for my daughter and found that the allowance was 20KG for economy which is normal and not so good me thinks. Checked my allowance with emirates and that's 30KG which is good.

You sure your not refering to first class allowance?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

[quote="JimmyGreaves]Checked this yesterday for my daughter and found that the allowance was 20KG for economy which is normal and not so good me thinks. Checked my allowance with emirates and that's 30KG which is good.

You sure your not refering to first class allowance?[/quote]
You are correct, their website does state 20Kg. However, my 'cattle class' ticket clearly shows 30Kg on each leg of the journey.

Points 41; Position 18
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

I'm sure it said 30 kg last week and 40 kg for students returning from India !!
Maybe it's been changed since then.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Can you still bring golf bags (minus clubs and loaded to the gills) for free on airlines?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

richard wrote:Can you still bring golf bags (minus clubs and loaded to the gills) for free on airlines?

Can with emirates, don't know about any of the others!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

richard wrote:Can you still bring golf bags (minus clubs and loaded to the gills) for free on airlines?
Airlines have got much stricter on this sort of thing in these hard times, it used to also be policy at most check-in counters to allow you up to 28 kg on a 20 kg limit before they actually charged you excess baggage, but that doesn't happen so much anymore. Many of them have started weighing carry-on bags to stop you overloading them and I speak as someone who has spent many a visit to the check-in counter with a forced smile on my face as the bag-strap tries to amputate my arm.
You'll understand that when many airlines are making huge losses, they're not really very interested in flying air freight for charity.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

The times I've flown with Etihad outa Manchester (we only do Northern airports darlings),their tickets say 20kgs,but you are allowed up to 30,-my bag normally weighs-in at 27+. At Manchester tho' the check-in staff can be really strict on cabin bag weight (a raincoat with 'poachers pockets' works well at the desk,-puttin' stuff BACK into ya bag 10mins later).
At the moment Air France is comin up cheapest outa MAN for flights later in the year...Air France out/KLM flight back.
Also Emirates well below Etihad prices...Etihad;s fare has gone thru' the 1000quid mark now for Oct/Nov.with some agents!
(How much to sail to BKK??)
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Sail to BKK??????

Well after I had my strokes and was told no long haul flights for a while I looked into sailing (cargo ship)and trans continental trains from BKK to the UK.

Not cheap and not quick.

Nice for a sort of cruise or overland adventure but certainly not an option if your wallet is drying up and you are in a hurry
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Always used to rely on the fact that I'd get away with 25Kg's on a 20Kg limit - worked for years. Even when I went over and upwards towards 30Kg, airlines generally only charged me excess over 25Kg......

That came to a grinding halt on my last trip to the UK. On the return leg from Bristol to Shanghai, I was 24.7Kg's..... and charged excess baggage for precisely 4.7Kg's at 24.50 GBP per Kg.... The most expensive bloody British sausages I've ever had!! And this with KLM who have always been good in the past.

I travelled London to Shanghai with Virgin a fair few years back, with the company putting me in luggage class (bless their little cotton socks), 20Kg was no doubt the limit and hand luggage was weighed also - 7Kg limit (although they did discount the weight of the laptop).

As for the Golf bag +/- clubs, I always remember my father getting away with murder with it - years travelling internationally. Unfortunately I never was able to play golf and airlines don't view scuba diving kit with the same relaxed governance...... surely there's some "ist" I could apply to that in this PC world of ours (scubist, scubaist, bloodybiasedairlineist)... maybe I could sue!!

All in all, I could save $$$$'s on cheaper airlines with larger bagage allowances, but when travelling 10+ hours... I prefer all the comfort I can get without the noise and shear annoyance of cheap Chinese airlines (in my case), how do the "low cost" (if they exist) airlines to Thailand compare in that regard (i.e. painful!)
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

It's worth remembering Frequent Flyers also get a better allowance. :wink: