Oman Airlines?

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Re: Oman Airlines?

Post by JimmyGreaves »

I won't be booking with them ever again after they refused to change the forename on a ticket costing me 400+ quid. Harry should have been Harold as per passport, my mistake, next day I told them of my error on a flight that was months away, the unfriendliness from the London office as well.

I'll stick with my tried and trusted Emirates, normally better and more choice of flight times.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sorry to hear that Jimmy, although I've heard of that problem with several other airlines. I think if it had happened to me, I'd feel just as agrieved as you.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Emirates would have charged me 100 quid to change it, which is must better than the full whack. But still not cheap. A mistake I'll never make again me thinks and hopes.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Out of interest Jimmy, did they charge you another air fare plus tax, or just another air fare?

The reason I ask is that my fare was £180 air fare, and £198 tax. The tax should only have been paid once - I doubt Oman Air would not have paid the respective authorities a double amount of tax.

Points 48; Position 20
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Yep another airfare of 460.00, higher than the initial one on the same flight as 2 other friends were booked on that flight (Booked 2 days later than the original one at 402.00 quid). The tax was also paid again. Even though as you rightly say the tax was about 170.00 quid on the flight. This is what I received from netflights, I took the 56.00 quid and had to cancel as Oman said they would not let him on the flight. Will not be booking with netflights again also. I use Emirates as I prefer to fly out of Birmingham, don't like the trip from notts to heathrow. My friends were not bothered for a one off. I will not be booking tickets on behalf of friends again :-)

Dear Sirs,

With regards to the above booking, it is with regret that I must advise that the cancellation fee on this reservation is 100%. Should you choose to cancel this reservation a partial refund of taxes 59.00GBP only will be made available by the airline.

Please confirm by return email or call us directly on 0870 606 4010 (if travelling within 7 days) should you wish to proceed with the cancellation?

Please note that unless we receive a reply, this booking will not be cancelled and you may then incur further charges to those quoted above.

Yours sincerely

Refunds Department
Gold Medal Travel Group PLC
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

I recently came out from Heathrow to BKK via Muscat with Oman Air and the service was excellent and as mentioned plenty of leg room.
You wouldn't want to spend much more than a few hours at Muscat airport however, but that apart it was fine.
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

Also recently used Oman Air LHR-BKK-LHR. Service and in flight entertainment excellent, leg room better than most other airlines. 4 hour transit time wait not a problem at Muscat, Seeb airport is quite pleasant and not crowded. If their fares remain reasonable would use them by choice in future.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

PJG wrote:Seeb airport is quite pleasant and not crowded.
Glad to hear its changed. My one and only visit was in 1980 and it was anything but pleasant! The armed guard was interesting though.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote:Glad to hear its changed. My one and only visit was in 1980 and it was anything but pleasant! The armed guard was interesting though.
I had a 4 hour transit stop there in 1991 - just me and my 5 month old son. There wasn't a spare seat in the house. I had to walk around for the full 4 hours with my son in my arms. Thankfully, last weeks experience was a lot better.

Points 48; Position 20
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

I worked in Oman until 1988. The airport is far different now and the international transit area is quite pleasant and airy. There were only 5 or 6 other airplanes on the pan when I transited so maybe it is busier at Moslem holiday times.
steve w

Post by steve w »

Flew lhr- bkk- lhr in november/december,and oman seem on par with ethihad/emirates/qatar,decent food and beverage service ,good back of seat entertainment and not too long stop overs in muscat.
muscat airport is fine for a couple of hours,fast food outlets and a decent bar with draught tiger for £3-50 a pint :cheers:
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

steve w wrote:Flew lhr- bkk- lhr in november/december,and oman seem on par with ethihad/emirates/qatar,decent food and beverage service ,good back of seat entertainment and not too long stop overs in muscat.
muscat airport is fine for a couple of hours,fast food outlets and a decent bar with draught tiger for £3-50 a pint :cheers:
You can shove Oman Air right up ya arse!
Lee1975
Professional
Professional

Post by Lee1975 »

I know I'm digging up a fairly old thread but I thought I'd leave some feedback from my flight last month. I booked this flight in March last year to travel to BKK on December 7th with return 5th Jan. £480.00 from WestEast Travel with whom I have dealt with many times without any problems.
Flew from Heathrow - Muscat - BKK. I done the web check in 8 hrs before I left and was straight forward. Got to Heathrow and they had a separate queue for web check ins so within 10 mins getting inside terminal I was through. No delays, there was plenty of leg room once on the plane and the food was nice & service was spot on. I.F.E was brilliant, many films, TV series & music to choose from. The only problem was that there was a p*ssed up English bloke about 3 rows behind me talking Sh**e. Effing & blinding and within 2 hours of the flight a few of us had had enough, I told him to calm his language and be quiet as there were many children around us. Red Rag to a bull, he got up and wanted to fight everyone. The Stewards & Stewardesses were brilliant, trying to calm him down but he was saying that they were assaulting him. He was taking photos of all the crew & passengers, it was chaos, but after a while they managed to get him back in his seat. He said he was English and that he hated the Scots, Welsh & so on. I felt embarrassed that this bloke was from the same country as me, there were also many passengers flying home to Muscat on this flight and it was embarrassing to witness this debacle. Few hours later we arrived at Muscat and the police were waiting for him at the bottom of the steps. Good! Hope he got the rough treatment & ruined his holiday.
Connection flight (2 hour wait at Muscat) to BKK went very quick and food was tasty and could not fault anything.
Same on the way back, the Airport in Muscat is fine (have a few smoking rooms if you need your fix), and the transit/connection area is easy to navigate through, had no qualms about anything apart from the pub which is £7 a pint in there :shock:
My flight on the way home was same same but without the drunken idiot. There were no delays, check in was quick, connection smooth, baggage arrived at each end and for £480 I could not have asked for much more. I would fly with Oman Air again.
The only things I regret are the things I didn't do
Arcadian
Ace
Ace

Post by Arcadian »

Do they serve alcohol with meals?
Lee1975
Professional
Professional

Post by Lee1975 »

Yes mate, the drinks (alcoholic & non) were available all through the flight.
The only things I regret are the things I didn't do