UK airports closed

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This may be the year we see the Thames freeze (when was the last time?), and ice skating on Holland's canals. :shock: I think in Holland they used to have a great cross country skating race when the canals froze? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

UK airports closed

Post by margaretcarnes »

I think the last time the Thames froze was 47 Pete - although there's doubt as to whether it actually froze right over? Maybe someone older and wiser can confirm this!
But it's still snowing here in the UK and the main problem is a shortage of sand and grit for the roads. Public transport is coping pretty well on main routes - but getting to a bus stop can be a problem! :sun: (dream on)
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: UK airports closed

Post by redzonerocker »

margaretcarnes wrote: But it's still snowing here in the UK and the main problem is a shortage of sand and grit for the roads. Public transport is coping pretty well on main routes - but getting to a bus stop can be a problem! :sun: (dream on)
it seems it's not just the uk that is suffering, brrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8445613.stm
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I just walked into work again this morning and it's about minus ten, but at least it's still and not actually snowing although it's very icy underfoot and to think I once actually paid money to go hiking on a glacier!
To be honest, if I'd known it was going to be like this I would have stayed in Thailand.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

The last Thames Ice Fairs were back in the 17C. In Victorian times they rebuilt the bankings and narrowed the river to accomodate the amazing sewer works. This narrowed the river and speeded up the flow, so it freezing over totally and enough to walk on is a very very rare thing now.

see..... TV can be educational

Heres the weather report from Bolton

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! Theres a frickin polar bear in my garden and my nephew has built an igloo!

about a foot of snow that has now frozen into a sheet of solid ice. -17C last night at Manchester airport.

my advice - bunker down

Nanook of the North West
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote:I just walked into work again this morning and it's about minus ten, but at least it's still and not actually snowing although it's very icy underfoot and to think I once actually paid money to go hiking on a glacier!
To be honest, if I'd known it was going to be like this I would have stayed in Thailand.
Were you the only one there?

I struggled in to work today to make sure I brought home enough work :wink: for next weeks chaos.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

BB

Thought you were a civil servant close to retirement :D

Workload??????????????????
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

richard wrote:BB

Thought you were a civil servant close to retirement :D

Workload??????????????????
The retirement is still an aspiration. When I say work :wink: , the emphasis is on the emoticon.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

:lach: :lach: :lach: :run:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

STEVE G The least they could have done is send a chopper to bring you into work. :wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote:
STEVE G wrote:I just walked into work again this morning and it's about minus ten, but at least it's still and not actually snowing although it's very icy underfoot and to think I once actually paid money to go hiking on a glacier!
Were you the only one there?
No BB probably about 75% are getting in, particularly all the other contractors like me who don't get paid if they don't show up!
At least Yeovil is a compact town so anyone local can walk into work without going too far.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

STEVE G wrote:No BB probably about 75% are getting in, particularly all the other contractors like me who don't get paid if they don't show up!
At least Yeovil is a compact town so anyone local can walk into work without going too far.
I hope you're in a hanger doing what you do. When time, look up Loring AFB, Maine. I used to watch men working on B-52's up there in -60F windchill. I'm sure today many have missing fingers. :shock: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes Pete, it's no problem as we're working inside.
In my last job in Luxembourg we would get a couple of weeks of this kind of weather every year and there I was often working outside which was obviously much worse.
Many years ago I was working on the flight deck of a ship off the coast of Northern Norway in february, in winds that actually took the wind-chill factor off the bottom of the chart we had.
You could only stay outside for about twenty minutes at a time, after which you were too cold to do anything useful anyway!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:
STEVE G wrote:
I hope you're in a hanger doing what you do. When time, look up Loring AFB, Maine. I used to watch men working on B-52's up there in -60F windchill. I'm sure today many have missing fingers. :shock: Pete :cheers:
I remember many times when I lived in Maine of -50 to -60, including one time a buddy and I refused to postpone our ice fishing outing. We went, but didn't last too long! :cheers: