Anybody Travelling BA This Christmas?

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think the immediate concern must be for those trapped in a foreign country, due to return on BA during that period. If its not resolved, there are going to be pockets of people trapped all over the world.

Imagine how they're enjoying their holidays at the moment. Do they buy a beer, or save their money to pay their fare home?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just being Thailand specific for the moment, how many daily flights does BA have out of here to the UK or other EU destination? If they're like other non-Asian carriers I assume 1 or 2? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Looking at the BA site, there is one flight daily. I think there is another codeshare flight run by Qantas, which I assume is not affected.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

OK then. Looking at it from my point of view a strike seems it will be much more disruptive for people traveling short haul within EU.

Using Thailand as an example, 300+ daily would have to find a new seat between Dec 22 and Jan 2 if going home. Perhaps not that difficult with a few stops and connections.

Also, I would think the load into long haul holiday destinations will be over before Dec. 22 and the exodus home wouldn't commence until after Jan 2.

Just a rationalization and hopeful guess. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe you're right, but I know several who travel in the period 25 Dec to 1 Jan because the prices tend to dip a little for the time year.

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

An associated question (in a way :D) I keep seeing advertisements for Finn Air saying they "get there faster..." Do they fly over the top of the pole to Asia? I don't have a globe handy so don't know if that is actually faster/closer. Does any airline take that route? Pete :cheers:
stgrhe
Professional
Professional

Post by stgrhe »

prcscct wrote:I keep seeing advertisements for Finn Air saying they "get there faster..." Do they fly over the top of the pole to Asia?
No, they are not faster from Bangkok as all airlines are using the same route passing over Delhi south of the Himalaya. I have several times flown north of Himalaya, e.g. during the Iraq wars, and that route is actually between one and two hours longer, depending on the wind, to Stockholm.

The route Finnair take goes then over Northern Afghanistan, Ukraine and south of Moscow. Thai Airways and SAS fly exactly the same route to the Scandinavian countries.

If you are heading for Central Europe or the British Isles the route is more south and goes over the Black Sea and Romania.

Furthermore, Finnair is IMO a very crappy airline even in business class.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Both BBC and CNN are reporting this morning that the Heathrow baggage handlers and ground staff may go out on strike as well. If that should happen all airlines will be shut down. :( Pete :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

prcscct wrote:Both BBC and CNN are reporting this morning that the Heathrow baggage handlers and ground staff may go out on strike as well. If that should happen all airlines will be shut down. :( Pete :cheers:
When you consider what straights the airline industry is in, I view all this with disbelieve; they're taking their jobs on a suicide mission in my opinion.
I'm glad I moved into the defense side of things.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

pharvey :cry:

What a mess the Union has got themselves in, bit of a sneaky trick calling for a strike but not putting the amount of strike days on the ballot paper. How are the members meant to know excatly what they are voting for.
:?

I'm all for workers maintaining decent wages and working conditions but this strike will, if it goes ahead, put a damn big nail in BAs coffin, then they may well find themselves out of a job.

It seems that the unions are going back to the dark ages, more and more strikes and it is the travelling public that suffers.

I noticed from that article that the union chiefs are highly paid, so they won't suffer much from their descision.

If, as is said, the baggage handlers go on strike, then all flights from and too the UK are buggered. :cry:

What is needed is to change the negotiaters on both sides for women, they would sort it in 5 minutes flat. :wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

A strike by British Airways cabin crew planned for Christmas has been declared illegal in a High Court ruling.

The court agreed with BA that the cabin crew's union, Unite, had not correctly balloted its members on the strike action.

The injunction means that the 12-day strike cannot now go ahead.

Unite called it "a disgraceful day for democracy" and vowed to hold a fresh ballot of cabin crew if the dispute with BA was not resolved.

British Airways said the decision would be welcomed by "hundreds of thousands of families in the UK and around the world".

"There was never any need for a strike and we hope that Unite will take this opportunity to reflect before deciding its next steps," a statement from the company said.

"In recent days, we believe Unite has formed a better understanding of our position and of the ways in which we could move forward.

"It has also become very clear that our customers do not believe that old-style trade union militancy is relevant to our efforts to move British Airways back toward profitability."

Hurray!

Sabai Jai
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Now all I need to hear is that the baggage handlers are not striking and I'm assured of 2 months of peace, as the wife will be able to go to LOS in January. :wink:

Saw these figs on the news

BA cabin staff £34,950

Virgin cabin staff £24,000

So what was it all about? :cuss:

Sack the lot and put the rest on night shift. :wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.