Air Ticket, Genuine Mistake or Scam

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
beachyhead

Air Ticket, Genuine Mistake or Scam

Post by beachyhead »

I have just returned from two weeks in the UK and for the first time booked my flights with the travel agent Western Tours, very pleased with the service at the time of booking. I had booked an outward flight at 9pm and was in the Taxi on the way to the airport when I got a phone call from them in broken English saying that they would text me a new booking ref. and that my flight is now not leaving until 2.30am. When I got to the airport I went to the airline desk to find out why the delay and was told there are no delays, I showed her my original E ticket and she told me that I had never been booked on this flight and could not understand how the agent could issue the E ticket. I was booked and had always been booked on the 2.30am flight, I flight time I would never have booked and she was unable to get me on the earlier flight as it was full, so I had a long wait. Now my question is, was this a genuine mistake or was the later flight a cheaper price that was not passed on to me? has anyone else had this happen to them? In fairness to Western Tours they have e mailed to say if I call in they will refund some of the money and did offer to send a taxi to BK airport to collect me on my return.
There is only two things wrong with a woman, her face !
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

Seems like a genuine mistake to me.
Don't think there would be any difference in air fares if you were still in same booking class letter code unless one day later for departure date meant a change of season for fares. Who was the airline ?
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

I've used Western Tours >10 years and so have many of my acquaintances. There's never been any
monkey business, nothing shady and no explanations. As a matter of fact they have been the most
reliable travel agent and very often are cheaper than any net booking I've found myself through the net.

Consequently, I do believe this was a honest mistake and not an attempt to pull a fast one.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

It sounds like a mistake.

I may be a pessimist, but I always confirm direct with the airlines after I leave a travel agent. I've never had a problem, but always like to check.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

I have also know Western Tours for years and they are generally very good.

Could be a case of Human error here....and they may have been less than 100% truthful

These days you can usually see your own booking on the Airlines web site - increasingly you can check-in and print your own boarding passes.

just make sure you have the Locator - usually six character i.e. 3B6WCY

Always check that all details are correct
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

When you've got your 6 character booking reference, you can use www.checkmytrip.com. This is used, I think, by all agents and airlines and will confirm everything you need to know about your booking.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

Well www.checkmytrip.com is Ok if the Agent is using Amadeus reservation system

I think Western Tours do use this but the there are other Major 'CRS' systems; Galileo who use viewtrip.com and Sabre virtuallythere.com to mention a couple.

Regards Sabai Jai
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

ticket

Post by redzonerocker »

they did seem to leave it late in the day to inform you of the ticket changes (or lack of an original! :D) :shock:
maybe had they contacted you a day or two before, you may well have just accepted things ? & been none the wiser of any mistakes made.

looks like a genuine cock up on someones part, though nothing sinister
:twisted: :wink:
still can't get over how late they left it to inform you!!!!! :shock: :mrgreen:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
tj

Post by tj »

Must have been a mistake. I have also used western tours on over 30 occasions and have found them to be the most reliable and proffessional outfit inside and outside of Thailand. have recommended them to many friends who also found them to be excellent.
If your not cheating your only cheating yourself
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

beachyhead,
There is one possibility that you have overlooked - that it might have been the airline who had either cocked up or pulling a fast one; possibly overbooked your flight and then told you and Western Tours that you had never been booked on it? A classic way to avoid confrontation or demands to be upgraded perhaps? I think if you had pushed it at the airport you might have ended up in a class above what you had booked, particularly given the reputation Western Tours seems to have.
beachyhead

Post by beachyhead »

Thank you for all your replies, the airline was Emirates by the way and the new A380 was a fantastic Airplane. It would seem to be a genuine mistake.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I have tried using viewtrip.com but always get this warning. :?

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended).

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
beachyhead

Post by beachyhead »

I went back to Western Tours yesterday and I have to say they were extremely apologetic and issued me with a credit note against my next trip to the value that I would guess was the total of the commission they made on my ticket. There was no trying to blame the airline etc. they took it on the chin and said their service had let me down, so I have got to say full credit to them and I would use them again. Made me feel guilty that I thought Thais = Scam !
stgrhe
Professional
Professional

Post by stgrhe »

beachyhead wrote:I went back to Western Tours yesterday and I have to say they were extremely apologetic and issued me with a credit note against my next trip to the value that I would guess was the total of the commission they made on my ticket. There was no trying to blame the airline etc. they took it on the chin and said their service had let me down, so I have got to say full credit to them and I would use them again. Made me feel guilty that I thought Thais = Scam !
That is exactly how a sincere and professional company should act, credit to them! We are all human being and all of us can make mistakes.

G.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

stgrhe wrote:
beachyhead wrote:I went back to Western Tours yesterday and I have to say they were extremely apologetic and issued me with a credit note against my next trip to the value that I would guess was the total of the commission they made on my ticket. There was no trying to blame the airline etc. they took it on the chin and said their service had let me down, so I have got to say full credit to them and I would use them again. Made me feel guilty that I thought Thais = Scam !
That is exactly how a sincere and professional company should act, credit to them! We are all human being and all of us can make mistakes.

G.
AMEN !
A friend is only one click away