Programmed To Kill: Meliondosis (must watch)

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Programmed To Kill: Meliondosis (must watch)

Post by Geko »

Just watched this programme on True Vision 'History Channel' very scary.

Watch the trailer

PeteC

Re: Programmed To Kill: Meliondosis (must watch)

Post by PeteC »

Yes, I saw the show as well. Thailand apparently is ground zero for the most cases in the world. It's the first thing I thought of when Muhammed Ali died in that it could have been in his system for decades then manifested itself as his immune system deteriorated. They listed "septic shock" for him and I think the show says that can happen with long term cases of Meliondosis. It is very scary stuff indeed. :(

Makes you think twice before you walk around barefoot outside, especially if you should have a cut or sore on your sole.

I also thought of your previous leg wound BB as the examples I saw for this disease looked like that.

The promising part is that many of us, millions, are exposed to it, have it in our systems but are able to destroy it or at least live with it with no further problems.....I hope?! Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:I also thought of your previous leg wound BB as the examples I saw for this disease looked like that.
I've been busy, and just got around to looking at this. You could well be right, everything fits perfectly with my symptoms. No wonder they admitted me to hospital immediately, and pumped me full of stuff. The actual leg problem where you saw the horrific photos was the exit point where it left my body.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I just about went nuts yesterday and am still upset. As you know from FB the daughter is on a class trip to Chiang Mai. What shows up on LINE and blog yesterday are photos of all of them in a rice paddy in bare feet up to their knees plowing with a buffalo and planting stalks of rice! :shock: :banghead: I would never have though a thing about it except "have fun!" if I hadn't seen the HC show and read the articles. Too late to do anything about it now but seems most people are ignorant of the risk here, at least foreigners. :( Pete
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Most dangerous thing on the market and in most households is anti-bacterial cleaners and soaps.

Without exposure to germs and bacteria, the body does not build immunities. Also, the germs and bacteria become resistant to antibiotics.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

I get laughed at in Thailand because I don't own any flip flops, sandals or plastic toy shoes.

you will never see me without REAL shoes at least like lace up running shoes, nothing open toe or exposed sides or back.

that or steel toe motorcycle boots.

except at the beach or around the pool and that is pushing your luck.

but everybody is chilled out in Thailand so I guess I am the odd man out.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

RCer wrote:Most dangerous thing on the market and in most households is anti-bacterial cleaners and soaps.

Without exposure to germs and bacteria, the body does not build immunities. Also, the germs and bacteria become resistant to antibiotics.
yes, but there are times you need to blast a cut or wound with something before it gets out of control.

washing your hands all the time anti-bacterial cleaners and soaps is not a good thing.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

JamesWest wrote:
RCer wrote:Most dangerous thing on the market and in most households is anti-bacterial cleaners and soaps.

yes, but there are times you need to blast a cut or wound with something before it gets out of control.

washing your hands all the time anti-bacterial cleaners and soaps is not a good thing.
Treating a wound is one thing. I'm talking the people that insist we live in a sanitary environment and then complain when their kids get sick because they have no immune system.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This thread has been food for thought for me. The hospital said my infection was most likely an insect bite, but could never identify the insect. However, I remember getting a painful scratch on my same foot whilst walking the dogs in the jungle outside of our home a few days earlier.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18