The United Arab Emirates wants to build a full-size artificial mountain to encourage rainfall

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

The United Arab Emirates wants to build a full-size artificial mountain to encourage rainfall

Post by hhfarang »

"The United Arab Emirates is used to building landmasses were there were none before, but creating a mountain from scratch is a whole new level. Nonetheless, the UAE is considering precisely that kind of construction. With hopes that it will encourage raincloud development in a country mostly covered in desert, the UAE is looking to build a full-sized artificial mountain. Desert flatlands make it difficult for air to get the upward climb required to collect into rain clouds, but creating a mountain could help bring a certain amount of rain to the otherwise arid region. ..."

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/united-arab- ... 12445.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pharvey

Re: The United Arab Emirates wants to build a full-size artificial mountain to encourage rainfall

Post by pharvey »

"Cloud Seeding" is one thing, but this takes it to a new level (we are in May and not April 1st aren't we?).......

Mess about with Mother Nature and she will come back to bite you on the @rse.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The United Arab Emirates wants to build a full-size artificial mountain to encourage rainfall

Post by Khundon1975 »

Well, they have the money, so why not. :roll:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

Plenty of mountains just along the coast in Oman. I think the Jebel Aktar less than 30km inland from Muscat goes up to around 10,000 feet. Lived there for 6 years and can asure you they get very little rain. Some of the Wadi's in the jebel do have water all year round.