Dozens of Monuments Hidden Below Stonehenge

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Dozens of Monuments Hidden Below Stonehenge

Post by hhfarang »

"Scientists Discover Dozens of Monuments Hidden Below Stonehenge"

"Scientists have new evidence that there is more to Stonehenge — the ancient rock formations that stand alone in a field in Wiltshire, England — than meets the eye.

Based on cutting edge digital mapping technology, researchers at the University of Birmingham working as part of The Stonehenge Hidden Landscapes Project have discovered a treasure trove of new findings buried beneath the stones themselves.
Stonehenge may never be the same again.

According to the University, the new discoveries include 17 temples, burial mounds, shrines, and massive prehistoric pits that experts say appear to form astrological alignments. Many of the findings, such as a large timber temple that was likely used to treat and bury the dead, are even older than the prehistoric monument above them, which is dated to 3,100 BCE.

Scientists noted that the number of structures fundamentally alters the modern perception of Stonehenge from a single monolith to a sprawling complex that was occupied by a large number of people. One of the project leaders, Professor Vincent Gaffney, who is Chair in Landscape Archaeology and Geomatics at the University of Birmingham also indicated that the most recent discovery is likely only the tip of a massive archeological iceberg."

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-discov ... 30749.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Dozens of Monuments Hidden Below Stonehenge

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yes, I saw this on BBC website this morning - very interesting. For those of you with access to UK TV, there's a documentary about this tonight on BBC (2 I think)
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It's interesting how Stonehenge gets all the attention and yet not far away, lies Avebury, the largest and oldest stone circle in the UK (and Europe I believe), where they too have already identified vast numbers of actual stones underground extending the size of the site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury
Talk is cheap
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

http://thepiratebay.se/search/operation ... ath/0/99/0

downloaded the Documentary this morning
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I like the Cern Abbas Giant always makes me smile when I drive passed it, if you can imagine a chalk carving in a hillside of a man with a club and an erect penis that you can see from miles away.

Kendo.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

What I know about Stonehenge is that it attracts nutters. I found this out many years ago when I driving to the air station at Yeovil in the early hours of a summers morning to catch a flight to a ship. I wasn't aware that it was the Solstice and was driving along the A303 at about three o'clock in the morning, minding my own business, when suddenly the road was full of hippies, new age travellers and assorted wierdos, and I nearly ran over a druid!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Actually, I used to work work with one of the main Druid Priests.

He was one of the cleverest and nicest people I've known.

It's quite a society, and I often wonder when he preaches at places such as the Goddess Temple, what actually goes on. He takes some beautiful women into the temple (including many celebrities), and they always emerge smiling.

IMHO, a harmless bunch.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Did the Druid have any clothes on a lot of these like to get naked with their strange goings on.
The New Forest where I live you also get a lot of nocturnal witchcraft and tree hugging and dancing ceremonies. I have a friend that works in my local pub that's right into this when she tells me that she is going to a ceremony in a secret location I always ask her if she's going to get naked she always says "maybe" so I joke with her that I am going to take some binoculars up the crane. :D

Kendo. :cheers:

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ It almost sounds like Pattshenge. I've heard they found some petrified farangs a level down from the 1970's with beer mugs still in hand. :shock: :duck:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

kendo wrote:Did the Druid have any clothes on a lot of these like to get naked with their strange goings on.
The New Forest where I live you also get a lot of nocturnal witchcraft and tree hugging and dancing ceremonies. I have a friend that works in my local pub that's right into this when she tells me that she is going to a ceremony in a secret location I always ask her if she's going to get naked she always says "maybe" so I joke with her that I am going to take some binoculars up the crane. :D

Kendo. :cheers:
Lots of strange things go on in the forest at night Kenny :P
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Indeed Siani apart from the dogging hot spots their are Many Pagan Wiccan Coverns in the area that like to practice Skyclad.

Kendo. :shock:

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The druid I nearly ran over was wearing long white robes, that's how I knew he was a druid, if he had been naked I wouldn't have known what manner of weirdo he was.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

STEVE G wrote:The druid I nearly ran over was wearing long white robes, that's how I knew he was a druid, if he had been naked I wouldn't have known what manner of weirdo he was.
Well Steve...it could have been Kendo's barmaid! :shock:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

kendo wrote:Did the Druid have any clothes on a lot of these like to get naked with their strange goings on.
As far as I know, he always his very ornate robes. However, once behind the walls of the Goddess Temple :idea:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

STEVE G wrote:The druid I nearly ran over was wearing long white robes, that's how I knew he was a druid, if he had been naked I wouldn't have known what manner of weirdo he was.

Steve was it this dude :thumb:

if it was - you only nearly mowed down Arthur Pendragon self declared reincarnation of King Arthur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Uther_Pendragon