20 Bryde’s whales frolic in Gulf of Thailand

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
PeteC

20 Bryde’s whales frolic in Gulf of Thailand

Post by PeteC »

Photos and video at link. Let's hope they survive before some uneducated moron decides he can make a few Baht by selling the meat to the market. :cuss: Pete :cheers:

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/08/28/2 ... f-thailand

"A pod of almost 20 rare Bryde’s whales were spotted Monday by officials in the Gulf of Thailand off Samut Sakhon province.

Releasing photos showing the whales enjoying themselves within sight of the coast, the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources credits restrictions on certain fishing practices during the whales’ June and July spawning season.

This gave their aquatic lives a break to reproduce and find more food for the Bryde’s whales, who seem to enjoy their hunt in the east of Bangkok, Daily News reported.

The deaths of two Bryde’s whales were blamed on fishermen in July and August.

A Bryde’s whale is approximately 13.7 meters to 14.5 meters long and weighs about 17 tonnes. In 2012, it was estimated that only 20 remained in the Gulf of Thailand."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Re: 20 Bryde’s whales frolic in Gulf of Thailand

Post by Frank Hovis »

Do whales spawn? I wouldn't have thought so.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Here in California they migrate between the north coast and Mexico, every season. Lots of whale watching boats go out from So California. I imagine for spawning, that's one of the only reasons I'd travel so far.....
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Frank's right, the reporters used the wrong word. They don't spawn, they are mammals and mate. Different process. All whales migrate to somewhere in mating and calving seasons. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source