Hurricane Sandy

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post by MrPlum »

sandman67 wrote:...to deny the fact that mans use of fossil fuels on an industrial basis for 200 years or so has had no effect on the climate is comparative evidential denial
But those poor Polar Bear numbers have been increasing.

I do see where you are coming from. It's like asserting natural methods of healing used for hundreds of years are 'quackery' because 'no studies exist'. The double standard is noted.

I wouldn't deny this myself but the issue for me has always been that the solutions of criminalization of the public, more taxes and global 'governance', leading to prevention of third world countries industrializing, an end to affordable travel and whatever other draconian consequences there may be, is not the way to go about it.

Solve the problem at the source by cleaning up the major polluting industries and locking up culpable CEOs. Since this is blindingly obvious, yet not happening, even in the cradle of GW fearmongering, it can't be that pressing an issue. Perhaps when sponsoring nations come out of bankruptcy, they can invest in more companies like Solyndra.

There is environmental madness in manufacturing products with built-in redundancy... my Tesco wall clock lasted 2 months... and there is little sign of anything being done about this. How many environmental fanatics rushed out to buy the latest Samsung Tablet or Iphone? They are hypocrites, aren't they?
Climate deniers exploit scientific complexity to avoid any discussion at all.
complexity could also be a euphemism for 'junk' or pseudo-science. I made 3 posts in the GW thread stemming from the Czech President's opinion and neither you nor steve challenged them. Basically, because you can't.

As far as 'science' is concerned, haven't you learned anything at all from the Swine Flu pandemic, the Vioxx debacle, Iraq WMDs and GM crops and several other headline issues? 'Science' has fallen into disrepute. Until trust in government is restored, it doesn't matter how many consensus scientists play follow the leader.

And stop using the word 'denier'. It's a tawdry tactic, as bad as 'anti-semite' and 'conspiracy theorist'. Lazy smears, unbecoming a proclaimed educated man.
Our cover story this week may generate controversy, but only among the stupid,” tweeted Bloomberg Businessweek editor Josh Tyrangiel.
Brilliant. Another defamatory smear. He'll be saying 'the science is settled' next. :roll:

Yes, I knew the image I posted reversed the original. That was the point.

I think any more on this belongs in the GW thread.
PeteC

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post by PeteC »

These poor people got hit yet again and another 200,000 homes go black. Click "enlarge gallery" at the link for photos. Pete :cheers:

http://news.yahoo.com/storm-brings-outa ... nance.html

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/nor ... 59735.html
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source