Birds of Thailand

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Birds of Thailand

Post by Bristolian »

I was being bounced round in the back of a taxi when i posted the above address. Here i the link with more information

http://orientalbirdclub.org/wp-content/ ... ailand.pdf
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

That's a very good and informative link. :thumb:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
eatuae

Post by eatuae »

Hi there
I've a twitcher friend coming over to Hua Hin early in November. The only sights he wants are new species to tick off. Do any of you know of any groups in the are who do organised birding trips.
Great full for any help
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

eatuae wrote:Hi there
I've a twitcher friend coming over to Hua Hin early in November. The only sights he wants are new species to tick off. Do any of you know of any groups in the are who do organised birding trips.
Great full for any help
One link to look at is http://www.thailandbirdwatching.com/ There is a lot more about tours if you Google "thailand bird watching"
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

1.jpg
1.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
We've had birds similar to this in our garden recently, anyone know it.
The picture came up when I typed in a description of what I saw, the internet works for me :D
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

We've had birds similar to this in our garden recently, anyone know it.
It`s a "Hoopoe"
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I think this is a tailorbird. Does anyone know for sure? And if so,what kind? If not then what? I thought Prinia at first, but tailorbird seemed closer.

This little bird and its mate were hanging around the garden making an awful ruckus a couple of weeks ago. Then we found a nest. The nest was like a pitcher made from croton leaves held together. We couldn't see inside, but eventually three hatchlings emerged. First one, then a couple of days later two more. Unfortunately one of the second two didn't make it, possibly not being forceful enough in demanding food from the parents. Here are some pics. The first chick was always well hidden when we realised it was there so never got a good picture.
Tailorbird?
Tailorbird?
DSC02985.JPG (128.75 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
Nest front.
Nest front.
DSC03075.JPG (198.59 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
Nest back.
Nest back.
DSC03076.JPG (176.84 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
Parent with food.
Parent with food.
DSC03095.JPG (219.99 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
Twins.
Twins.
DSC03101.JPG (200.36 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
Cheers.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

We've just left the Mekong river bank I thought I would see loads of river birds. Nope not one, that's one thing about Thailand I don't really understand the lack of sea birds and today nothing really in the way of river birds.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You'd see plenty of bird life on the Eco Cruise up the Pranburi River.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

We have done some serious kilometers around Issan in the last few days hardly seen any birds. I know what birds are native up here migrate to cooler climates but hardly seen one.
Its normally another six or seven degrees hotter up here than Hua Hin.
Interesting though we normally Get a lot of Finches at our house in Surin January, February, and March.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Have a look at these - we saw many of them on the cruise http://www.huahincruises.com/wildlife.php

Points 41; Position 18
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

hhinner wrote:I think this is a tailorbird. Does anyone know for sure? And if so,what kind? If not then what? I thought Prinia at first, but tailorbird seemed closer.
Yes, definitely a Common Tailorbird (Orthotomus sutorius).

According to my book this area only has a choice of two, O.s. inexpectatus and O.s. maculicollis, with inexpectatus being found in northern regions and maculicollis in the peninsular regions.

But, I have many of these little birds around our garden and have never seen one with quite such a long tail. There is a subspecies with exactly that trait; O.s.guzuratus, but it's range is confined to Pakistan and peninsular India. It's just possible you have a vagrant O.s.guzuratus but I don't know if the subspecies can interbreed, so a more sensible call would be that you have an O.s.maculicollis who just happens to have a particularly long tail.

You can see on this map that in our area the reported sightings are all maculicollis, with guzuratus sightings all where they should be. http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Orthotomus-sutorius.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

On another bird thread we had some years ago, I mentioned that I was seeing hummingbirds at my place. Frank Hovis came back saying none were native here and perhaps it was a Hummingbird Moth. Yes it was and I see them all the time to this day. At quick glance they look like and behave just like a hummingbird. Below is a photo from the internet as I'm sure they're all over Thailand and you'll spot one sooner or later. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: "White-lined sphinx moths are sometimes referred to as hummingbird moths because of their similar size and ability to hover midair while feeding. Hovering flight requires a great deal of energy which is why these moths seek flowers that produce nectar with a high sugar content. Zipping flower to flower in search of sugary sips, sphinx moths are chief pollinators in their habitats."
14034894_1071295192918762_2944665927640783212_n.jpg
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Takiap wrote:
prcscct wrote:What's up with seagulls here...or the lack of them? Everywhere I've ever lived near the sea they were in abundance. Is the coastal small fish supply so depleted here that there isn't enough food for them? Pete :cheers:

I would imagine so Pete. May also explain why you never seem to have any shark sightings or shark attacks either.:cheers:
Do my eyes deceive me, or are the birds in the photo seagulls? Per the caption/article it was taken at Jao Samran beach, Phetchaburi. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/special ... h-of-trust
2001013.jpg
2001013.jpg (52.27 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been there a few times, but never noticed any gulls.

Points 41; Position 18