Birds of Thailand

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Birds of Thailand

Post by dtaai-maai »

Don't complain about their absence - horrible creatures.
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

prcscct wrote:What's up with seagulls here...or the lack of them? Everywhere I've ever lived near the sea they were in abundance. Is the coastal small fish supply so depleted here that there isn't enough food for them? Pete :cheers:

I would imagine so Pete. May also explain why you never seem to have any shark sightings or shark attacks either.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

A strange bird happening at my home this morning. There is a bird (or more, only seen one at a time) that lives in our garden and surrounding empty lots that the Mrs. calls a Kapook. It's a large bird that, when sitting, resembles a raven, but when flying has reddish rust colored wings and is very beautiful. I think they must be kin to pheasants or peacocks or some other large birds that don't fly well for long distances as I've only seen them in flight two or three meters off the ground and for short distances.

Anyway, we open our front door in the mornings to let in some fresh air. I was sitting here in the office and heard a banging noise in the house and went to investigate. A large Kapook had come in the front door and made his way to the dining room in the back corner of the house and was banging against a window to try to escape. Thank Buddha the dogs were asleep and closed in the laundry room or the poor bird would no longer be with us and there would have no doubt been scratched furniture, torn curtains and a mess to clean up.

I opened the back (double) door nearest the animal and with my wife's help managed to herd it outside. It was quite a bit of excitement for us and the bird for a few minutes...
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

One of these perhaps?

Greater Coucal
Attachments
greater coucal 2.jpeg
greater coucal 2.jpeg (5.63 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
greater coucal 1.jpeg
greater coucal 1.jpeg (8.25 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

That's the one Barry!
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lovely looking bird - I've seen one a couple of times in the jungle that is outside of our back door.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

They are quite common around the Pranburi river - member of the cuckoo family
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

For those of you who are interested, we have a wildlife page on our website showing pics and names of the species of birds we have seen so far around the Pranburi River/Paknampran area.

www.huahincruises.com, point cursor at Gallery and then click on Wildlife
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

They are sometimes called Monkey Birds because their call is at times similar to a Monkey. They seem to be the most ungraceful birds around and are forever crash landing onto something.
buksida

Post by buksida »

This article has been doing the rounds recently: http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/internati ... tweet-life

Birders in HH are blessed with Kaeng Krachan and Sam Roi Yod just an hour away.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Not a very cheerful story obviously, but thought the bird enthusiasts among us might appreciate a close up of this stunning bird... a 'Mangrove Pitta'... from what I can make out after a few searches. Not sure what is was doing down Soi 94 looking at it's normal habitat, but it was another case of flying into a window or whatever, for which most seem to come two and fly off again, unfortunately this little fella never came round.

The photo (lack of) quality & dull colours etc, do not at all do it justice...
20120622_081922-2.jpg
SJ
tijeigrin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tijeigrin »

So, when and where is the next bird-watchers' expedition?
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

What a beautiful little bird SJ - and a pretty good photograph. I've never seen one of these in Thailand.

I've just consulted my 'bird bible' and found out that the Mangrove Pitta looks very similar to the Blue-winged Pitta. It's more likely to be the Blue-winged Pitta as Hua Hin is on their migratory route, and, apparently, they are common in the wet season. Sort of fits in. The Mangrove Pitta is far less common and tends to restrict itself to mangroves.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

See the bird in the second photo on post #1, Page #1. A pair made a nest in a small crevice at the top of a support pole on our sala. Very clean birds, no poop at all on sala floor or furniture. BUT....once the egg hatches (two nests this season and only one egg each for this species) and they start feeding the chick all hell breaks loose. Below photo is only of the shallow end of the pool, the deep end was filled the same, and this was only deposits from one day! :shock: Don't let these guys settle in if near a pool unless you're very fond of vacuuming every day. :roll: Pete :cheers:
รูปภาพ-2.JPG
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Vital Spark wrote:What a beautiful little bird SJ - and a pretty good photograph. I've never seen one of these in Thailand.

I've just consulted my 'bird bible' and found out that the Mangrove Pitta looks very similar to the Blue-winged Pitta. It's more likely to be the Blue-winged Pitta as Hua Hin is on their migratory route, and, apparently, they are common in the wet season. Sort of fits in. The Mangrove Pitta is far less common and tends to restrict itself to mangroves.

VS
Yes, it is beautiful, isn't it?

Well spotted, VS. Comparing the two on Google, you can eventually see that the mangrove pitta has more green on wings and back, while the blue-winged pitta has more blue and black.
This is the way