Birds of Thailand

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
PeteC

Birds of Thailand

Post by PeteC »

Frank Hovis suggested we have a Thailand bird watching thread and I agree. Of interest to many, and I put it here rather than in Entertainment as it could be considered "Pets". :D Regardless if it's moved or not, at least we have a thread now.

I start with confusion on my part. Two very similar looking birds below and I have one of the species here on a frequent basis, but I don't know which one? Does any one know which is more common to have around? Pete :cheers:

Magpie Robin
Mr.jpg
Mr.jpg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 14652 times

Pied-Fantail
PF.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Birds of Thailand

Post by PeteC »

An opinion piece: Up to 900 tropical bird species could 'go extinct'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17212765
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

The Magpie Robin is probably more common, but there are plenty of fantails around.
The obvious difference is in size. Fantails are a little smaller than a sparrow but with a long tail and usually appear in one's or two's in trees and bushes. Magpie Robins are about the same size as the common myna (the black/brown birds with yellow eyes & beaks that are everywhere).
Magpie Robin's will sit somewhere obvious and sing their hearts out at dawn and dusk with a high pitch whistling tune.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

We get "hoop-hoop's" here in the garden regularly each year. They come to lay their eggs and it's actually quite fascinating to watch because once the eggs have hatched, the male and female spend all day, everyday for a few weeks fly away and returning with food every few minutes.

We also have a very large predatory bird hanging around the area at the moment. I was fortunate enough the one day to have it land just a few feet away from me, after which it departed along with one of our baby chicks. :laugh:

So far it's had about 4 or 5 chicks, but oh well, it's just nature at work and I don't mind in the least, although the in-laws don't share my sentiments of course. I don't have a picture of it, but would love to know what it might be. Perhaps a hawk?

We also get the occasional owl at night, and it always amazes me just how silent they are, even when in flight.

Will try to take a few pics and post them on here shortly.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Frank Hovis wrote:The Magpie Robin is probably more common, but there are plenty of fantails around.
The obvious difference is in size. Fantails are a little smaller than a sparrow but with a long tail and usually appear in one's or two's in trees and bushes. Magpie Robins are about the same size as the common myna (the black/brown birds with yellow eyes & beaks that are everywhere).
Magpie Robin's will sit somewhere obvious and sing their hearts out at dawn and dusk with a high pitch whistling tune.
I was watching intently again this morning and I may have both, and perhaps even a 3rd similar type. One group this morning was smaller than the photos I've seen for a Magpie, but indeed it was doing the whistle singing to the max. Those I thought were fantails don't seem to have the white line on their face above the eyes. This is where I get the idea of a 3rd species, as I've seen groups here with that white line. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's a source of photos Takiap, and there are others if you Google "birds of thailand". Pete :cheers:

http://www.google.com/search?q=birds+of ... 80&bih=671
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

CM.jpg
http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Crested_Myna

Keep an eye out for these as they are a good thing. I've watched them move slowly into areas and once in significant numbers, they drive out the screeching common Mynas. One on one they don't battle with the common Myna, but in a group they'll harass them so much they'll leave an area. The crested Myna also appears not to bother other birds, nests or chicks like the common Myna does, and from what I've seen, are silent. Pete :cheers:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Pete, the Myna is actually quite a character.........lol. I regularly see a few of them dive bombing a big black dog down the road, and the funny thing is, they succeed in chasing the dog on it's way despite the fact that this same dog has already bitten countless people, including my eldest daughter. Interestingly enough, the birds only chase this one specific dog, while ignoring the other dogs that are there. :laugh:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Myna's are great at warning us when there is a snake in the garden - even better than our dog!
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

I think the Fantail in your photo is perhaps a different subspecies than the Thai one. The one we get is probaby not quite as black and has a smaller white stripe above the eye.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I agree with Frank. The Fantails that frollick around in our bird-bath don't have such a visable white stripe. They do, however, behave differently to the more suave Magpie Robins. The Fantails flick their tails constantly and seem to be agitated and twitchy. The Magpie Robin is more sedate, has clearer markings, and is slightly larger.

Mr.VS took a quick snap of this beautiful Black-naped Oriole in our garden a few months ago. Never seen one before, and he hasn't appeared since then, although they're apparently common residents. It was the sheer brilliance of his yellow plumage that made him stand out in the tree.
Attachments
phpg2O5AwAM[1].jpg
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Great photo VS.

We've got a couple of these come round now and then but they are usually nothing more than a fleeting streak of yellow.

Has anyone seen a woodpecker here? My book suggests there are 25 or so species, some not in this region but some should be. In all the time I've been here, including being up mountains, in Kaeng Krachan & Sam Roi Yot/Kui Buri and on various golf courses (usually the tree lined parts) I've never seen or even heard a woodpecker.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Frank Hovis wrote:
Has anyone seen a woodpecker here? My book suggests there are 25 or so species, some not in this region but some should be. In all the time I've been here, including being up mountains, in Kaeng Krachan & Sam Roi Yot/Kui Buri and on various golf courses (usually the tree lined parts) I've never seen or even heard a woodpecker.

We have seen bamboo woodpeckers on the Pran Buri River.
If you go to our website at http://www.huahincruises.com, just click the link "Wildlife on the Pranburi River" to see the birds we have spotted on the river so far.
Attachments
bamboo woodpecker.jpg
bamboo woodpecker.jpg (6.96 KiB) Viewed 14353 times
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Nice photos Barry.
The electric boat is a good idea, not much hangs around when you're on a boat with an unmuffled petrol engine getting revved to bits.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

You're absolutely right about Barry's quiet boat Frank. It was on a trip up the Pranburi River on his aptly named 'Kingfisher' that we spotted the most beautiful Pied Kingfisher, and a variety of other birds happily enjoying the quietness of an unspoilt and undeveloped river environment.

With regards to the Woodpecker, we've certainly heard one in our garden in one of our mature trees. The sound of a Woodpecker 'pecking' is unmistakeable, but we haven't actually seen one yet. Looking in my bible (A Guide to the Birds of Thailand by Boonsong Lekagul & Philip D. Round) there are only 4 or 5 species that might possibly venture into the area of Nakhon Pathom. Can't wait to get a photo of one, but, as usually happens, by the time I've found the camera, changed the batteries, and tip-toed outside, the 'tap, tap, tap, rattatat' stops... :|

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"