Hua Hin/Thailand celestial calendar

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
buksida

Re: Hua Hin/Thailand celestial calendar

Post by buksida »

Leonids tonight, but nearly full moon will probably obscure viewing.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/m ... onids.html
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Nation prepares for sky spectacular

Post by PeteC »

......"He said there will be several events including planets moving close to Earth in their orbit paths.

They include:

Jupiter's orbit during April 7-8;
Saturn on June 15;
A lunar eclipse seen from Thailand on Feb 11 and Aug 22;
A solar eclipse on Feb 26 and Aug 21;
A meteor shower during Aug 12-13 and Dec 13-14;
Super moon on Dec 3; and
Mini moon on June 9.

Mr Saran said these phenomena can be seen with the naked eye, or preferably using a telescope.

He said Jupiter's orbit close to the Earth during April 7-8 will be the highlight of the celestial events."......

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... pectacular
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Nation prepares for sky spectacular

Post by sateeb »

However, this country's turn to see a full solar eclipse will next come on April 11, 2070 in Prachaup Khiri Khan's tambon Waghor, where King Rama IV once made the correct prediction that a solar eclipse would take place there.

Can't wait for this...I'll be 110!!! :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Nation prepares for sky spectacular

Post by hhfarang »

Can't wait for this...I'll be 110!!!
If you don't want to wait that long just plan a trip to the U.S. this coming August...

"A Total Solar Eclipse is Coming to the United States!"

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

31 January 2018 — Total Lunar Eclipse — Hua Hin, Thailand

One for you diaries - full details at link.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/ ... o=20180131
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ 3 for 1: supermoon, blue moon, blood moon (lunar eclipse). Also, fairly unusually, the month of February will have no full moon, and March will then, like January, have two.
buksida

Post by buksida »

DSC_3702.jpg
DSC_3702.jpg (48.18 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
DSC_3716.jpg
DSC_3729.jpg
DSC_3729.jpg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Nice pics, Thanks!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

'Super Blue Blood Moon' over Thailand

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... r-Thailand

Amateurs and professional stargazers in Thailand joined people in several parts of the world to watch the rare "Super Blue Blood Moon" on Wednesday night.

The phenomenon began at 6.30am(really? :roll: ) in Thailand with the total eclipse occurring between 7.51pm and 9.07pm in the kingdom, according to the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (Narit).

Cloudy sky, however, obstructed visibility in some areas, including Khon Kaen where people could see the blue moon for about five minutes before it was obscured.

"Despite the cloudy evening, the moon was seen at 6.45pm on the dot. It was really beautiful," said Suksan Karnsa-ard, a science teacher at Kaennakhon Witthayalai School, where a telescope was available for residents to experience the event.

In Buri Ram, the total eclipse was visible in Muang district and a few fireworks were set off in a nearby village, with people on passing motorcycles beeping their horns.

Narit executive director Saran Poshyachinda said the moon on Wednesday was larger than normal because of a "perigee", its closest approach to Earth in a single orbit. Everybody could see the lunar eclipse with their own unaided vision, he added.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Great photos, Buksi. Especially the last one. I've been popping outside every half our or so and it still looks pretty normal in my neck of the woods. I'm hoping that in a few hours time it'll be shining into my bedroom. The last super moon looked massive at about 3am.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
TunnelRats
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TunnelRats »

Buksi,
may I copy your nice three pics?

Thanks and cheers

TunnelRats
"This login session $13,99 but for you $12,78"
buksida

Post by buksida »

Only if you don't intend to publish them elsewhere. :mrgreen:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Mystery bullets rain down on houses during lunar eclipse

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... e#cxrecs_s

The "Super Blue Blood Moon" night was a nightmare for Wisit Wibulsilp and Chalerm Kulyasuk.

Despite living in different provinces, the two men shared the same fate on Wednesday evening - bullets ripping through their roofs.

Related story: 'Super Blue Blood Moon' over Thailand

Mr Wisit reported to Thung Yai police station in Nakhon Si Thammarat that a bullet fell into his bedroom around 7pm while he was watching TV.

He told police that he heard a noise from the roof - and moments later found a bullet only 80 centimetres from where he was sitting.

"I was shocked. If it had hit my head, I could have been injured or killed," he said.
Deputy police station chief Pol Capt Anan Panitchakul, who inspected the house, said the gunshot could be linked to the lunar eclipse.

On the same night in Trang, Mr Chalerm told a police patrolman from Muang station that a .38mm bullet had crashed into his house.

He said the bullet landed 40cm from the sofa where he was sleeping - the exact place his family members normally sit to watch TV, he said, except that fortunately they were having dinner at the time.

The provincial police office in Chai Nat said on Thursday they had received more than 100 phone calls complaining about gunshots on Wednesday night.

According to Thai superstition, firing bullets into the sky during a lunar eclipse saves the moon from being swallowed by Rahu, a Hindu demon.
...........................................................................................
Moons not up yet? :shock:
I will swear that I heard gun shots last night here in Bangkok. Been using guns since I was 10 years old, and even though I am now half deaf, I stll know the difference to firecrackers.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
TunnelRats
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TunnelRats »

buksida wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:37 pm Only if you don't intend to publish them elsewhere. :mrgreen:
Gee, not my intention, but thanks anyway :cheers:
"This login session $13,99 but for you $12,78"
buksida

Post by buksida »

SEE LONGEST BLOOD MOON OF THE CENTURY NEXT WEEK
Be prepared to witness up to three celestial events when Buddhist Lent ends next week, including the longest total lunar eclipse until the 22nd century.

The night skies from Friday, July 27, through to the morning of July 28 – the king’s birthday – will present three rare phenomena: Mars will smolder in perigee, the Moon will reach apogee and fade into a Blood Moon for nearly two hours, according to the nation’s top astronomer.

Although Mars will be a mere 57.6 million kilometers from Earth on July 31, its closest point in 15 years, next Friday will afford the best view it because it will move into a position opposite to the Sun, according to Saran Posayajinda of the National Astronomical Research Institute. Mars will be one-quarter of its average distance of 225 million kilometers.

Then, in the early morning of July 28, the year’s second lunar eclipse will be visible worldwide. In Thailand, it will appear in the sky from 12:14am to 6:10am.

The eclipse will be total from 2:30am to 4:13am, making it the longest expected in the 21st century. The Blood Moon will be smaller than usual as the Moon will be at its farthest point from Earth this year at a distance of 406,086 kilometers.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018 ... next-week/