Hua Hin/Thailand celestial calendar

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
buksida

Hua Hin/Thailand celestial calendar

Post by buksida »

For those interested in stargazing and celestial events here is the lineup for 2012:

A great program to identify constellations at any time can be found at http://www.stellarium.org/
And for Android users check out Google's Sky Map: http://www.google.com/mobile/skymap/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Hua Hin celestial calendar

Post by sateeb »

What....no mention of the end of the world on 21st December? :tsk: :D
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Thanks very much for that Buksida. :cheers:

I've marked the dates on my calendar, so I know when to wander around the garden after dark and gaze at the sky. Living 4kms away from the centre of town means that star-gazing is just possible here, although not as easy as when we lived in the small village in Petchaburi, and not a patch on the vast unlit skies in rural Suffolk.

I do, however, wonder if the oldies next door think that the farang is maybe a sandwich short of a picnic. I've been tempted to join in with my fur kids and do a bit of howling (just to confirm their suspicions). :wink:

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Thanks for that Buksida :cheers:

Got me looking through the web on the same topic and came across this site http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-glossary.html loads of interesting stuff including some decent free software for those interested in the topic.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I know we're halfway through the year and I've forgotten this year's calendar but here it is anyway ...

Only remembered because the moon will be at its perigee (closest point to the earth) today and will appear 14% larger.
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com ... supermoon/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Meteor shower begins Tuesday
The Perseids meteor shower will be visible in Thailand in the early hours of tomorrow if clouds do not block the view of the night sky.

The meteor shower, which happens when trails of debris left by the Swift Tuttle comet collide with the Earth's atmosphere, will be expected from "all directions in the sky" across the country between midnight and 5am, astronomer Worawit Tanwutthibandit said Sunday.

Stargazers are advised to look northwest to the Perseus constellation, but

Mr Worawit warned that viewing conditions may not be ideal. "A major hindrance during my 16 years of observations has been the rainy season," he said. "Most parts of the sky are covered [with cloud]."

The Perseids usually occurs in August, during the rainy season.

Source: Bangkok Post
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Interesting site with various live feeds including Perseids Meteor Shower

http://events.slooh.com/

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Astronomical drama expected in Thai skies this year

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Here is this year's full calendar:

PeteC

Re: Hua Hin/Thailand celestial calendar

Post by PeteC »

Partial eclipse to darken Bangkok, provinces March 9

...."The celestial show will begin at 6.20am and run until 8.40am, according to the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (Narit).

For people living in Bangkok, the partial eclipse will begin at 6.38am and end at 8.32am.".....

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... es-march-9
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Eclipse in the morning

Post by usual suspect »

According to reports there will be a total eclipse of the sun at around 8-9am tomorrow morning.
Sorry my report is a bit vague..maybe some of you know more..?
JD
Legend
Legend

Re: Eclipse in the morning

Post by JD »

Not a total eclipse but quite a substantial 'bite' out of the sun.

Starts at 6.30am and ends at 8.30am. Best 'bite' at 7.30am. Will be quite low in the sky, probably best seen from the beach, haze permitting.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Thanks for that info JD.. :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

The Perseid meteor shower will burst into light this August as Earth passes through the long trail left by Comet Swift-Tuttle — and this month, it's slated to put on a spectacular show.

According to NASA meteor expert Bill Cooke, the Perseids are perhaps the most popular meteor shower of the year. They will be in "outburst" in 2016, which means they'll appear at double the usual rates.

http://www.space.com/32868-perseid-mete ... guide.html

For Thailand you'll need a low light pollution area (out of Hua Hin city) on the night of the 12th/morning 13th to see it at peak however the moon will be 77% full on this date so you may want to try earlier. Look northeast towards the Perseus constellation.
Perseid-radiant-mine-generic_edited-1.jpg
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Timed with the Queens birthday, coincidence? I think not!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.