Global Warming 2

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Global Warming 2

Post by STEVE G »

"The sea level is still rising," said Willis.
Another recent study points to more warming in the upper layers of the Southern oceans:

Ocean Warming May Be Drastically Underestimated
http://news.discovery.com/earth/global- ... 141007.htm

New climate model and satellite data suggests that ocean warming from 1970 to 2004 in the upper levels of Southern Hemisphere oceans has been massively underestimated. The findings are reported in two new studies in the journal Nature Climate Change.

"This underestimation is a result of poor sampling prior to the last decade and limitations of the analysis methods that conservatively estimated temperature changes in data-sparse regions," said oceanographer Paul Durack, from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and the lead author of one of the papers.

The findings are important because oceans absorb about 90 percent of the planet's excess heat, and the Southern Hemisphere accounts for 60 percent of the world's oceans. The latest data suggests that the planet is warming faster than previously thought.

"By using satellite data, along with a large suite of climate model simulations, our results suggest that global ocean warming has been underestimated by 24 to 58 percent," Durack said in a press release. "The conclusion that warming has been underestimated agrees with previous studies, however it's the first time that scientists have tried to estimate how much heat we've missed."

In 2004, researchers began collecting more accurate measurements by deploying 3,600 robotic measuring devices, called Argo floats, which relayed information on the heat stored in the upper layers of the world's ocean currents.

Determining how fast the oceans are warming relates directly to how fast the atmosphere is warming and how much sea levels will rise, the researchers wrote.

"Our other new study on deep-ocean warming found that from 2005 to the present, Argo measurements recorded a continuing warming of the upper-ocean," said co-author Felix Landerer of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, who contributed to both studies. "Using the latest available observations, we're able to show that this upper-ocean warming and satellite measurements are consistent."
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Plant, plant, plant.....then plant some more.

Models 'underplay plant CO2 absorption'

"Scientists say that between 1901 and 2010, living things absorbed 16% more of the gas than previously thought.

The authors say it explains why models consistently overestimated the growth rate of carbon in the atmosphere......"

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29601644

I would also think that the way nature adjusts to changes, plants will probably evolve to absorb even more in the future. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I would also think that the way nature adjusts to changes, plants will probably evolve to absorb even more in the future.
They can only absorb more if the biomass keeps expanding, by growing more forests or whatever, as the carbon they absorb is released once plants die and rot away. Actually the carbon being released through the burning of fossil fuels is stored carbon from biomass that died millions of years ago and was sealed under sedimentary layers.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm talking about things like this evolving even bigger leaves for more absorption. I've only ever seen the below in Hawaii. I guess what I mean is radical plant evolution to face the carbon onslaught. Of course more forests is good also, but we're going in the wrong direction with that. Let's see in a few thousand years. :wink:
phpwGJtk2PM.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'm talking about things like this evolving even bigger leaves for more absorption.
I understand what you mean Pete but a bigger leaf will store more carbon as it increases in size which will still be released again once the leaf falls off and rots away on the ground, it'll only absorb more carbon whilst it's actually growing bigger. Forest in a balanced state releases exactly as much carbon as it absorbs, it has to otherwise it would be growing, the carbon has to go somewhere.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

AlGoreStBern.jpg
AlGoreStBern.jpg (37.82 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Forget the previous 60-odd pages, it's all down to the bloody squirrels...

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30456869
This is the way
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Take heart, Liberals, the early snowstroms are covering up all those dead birds!
Attachments
B2kun06IIAAniox.jpg
B2kun06IIAAniox.jpg (49.67 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If this comes to pass I would think it would cancel out any global warming for quite some time during and after.

Earth heading for 'mini ice age' within 15 years

" The earth is 15 years from a "mini ice-age" that will cause bitterly cold winters during which rivers such as the Thames freeze over, scientists have predicted.

Solar researchers at the University of Northumbria have created a new model of the sun's activity which they claim produces "unprecedentedly accurate predictions".

They said fluid movements within the sun, which are thought to create 11-year cycles in the weather, will converge in such a way that temperatures will fall dramatically in the 2030s......"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... years.html
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Maybe during that time I can move back to Hua Hin... :mrgreen:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

News about an imminent ‘mini ice age’ is trending — but it’s not true
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... -not-true/

"Though University of Northumbria mathematics professor Valentina Zharkova, who led the sunspot research, did find that the magnetic waves that produce sunspots (which are associated with high levels of solar activity) are expected to counteract one another in an unusual way in the coming years, the press release about her research mentions nothing about how that will affect the Earth’s climate. Zharkova never even used the phrase “mini ice age.” Meanwhile, several other recent studies of a possible solar minimum have concluded that whatever climate effects the phenomenon may have will be dwarfed by the warming caused by greenhouse gas emissions."
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ See, scientists can't agree on anything, so how can we believe them. It's all guesswork based on some evidence, hunches, and theory.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

hhfarang wrote:^ See, scientists can't agree on anything, so how can we believe them. It's all guesswork based on some evidence, hunches, and theory.
I think what is interesting is where all these headlines about a mini-ice age came from when the original researchers never made any predictions about effects on climate.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

News today that global warming is about to reach the one degree C increase that will be half the way of the 2C "point of no return" that scientists fear will bring about dramatic changes to world climate. More below
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34763036
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Some interesting developments on the horizon...

"...So at this critical juncture, the last thing Hawkins wants is a bunch of noisy zealots proclaiming that saving the world requires a multitrillion-dollar project not just to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide, but also to actually remove the carbon dioxide that’s already in the air. You read that right: to run some substantial fraction of the Earth’s atmosphere through a network of machines to extract carbon dioxide and put it back underground — in effect, putting the entire fossil-fuel industry, built up over a century and a half of furious industrial activity, into reverse. If so-called “net negative emissions” could be achieved easily, it would be the greatest thing that could happen to the environmental movement — and, for that matter, to the fossil-fuel industry, which would no longer be on the hook for causing global warming. ..."

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/saving-t ... 05334.html