Global Warming 2

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Global Warming 2

Post by handdrummer »

Just clean up the air so we can all breathe without getting sick and don't worry about global warming.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Charles Mann writes on science subjects as both journalist and author. His two best known books are '1491' and '1493'. No '1492' because Columbus has been well covered.

Mann believes in global warming (it's so cute that he calls it climate change) like any straight faced liar: It's basic chemistry. The relationship between C02 and heat in air is proven in the lab. Can't argue with that.

In the Q&A after his talk, someone cited him as saying at 100 billion people, we're certainly beyond carrying capacity. There are currently about 8 billion, but we don't know what happens between 10 and 14 billion. How can that be known?

Mann said there are too many unknowns. It's not just chemistry and science, it's also psychology, history, economics, social changes, etc., e.g. in the 60s no one predicted the effect that educating women would have on lowering the birth rate - or that so many cultures would begin educating women.

Mann said there are new discoveries. In the early 2000s scientists became alarmed at what would happen if methane hydrates found in deep cold water or arctic tundra released their methane in a short time period. They said the massive increase in C02 would cause dinosaur level mass extinctions. But the methane seeps naturally, so they added it to their global warming models. Then they discovered the seeping increased food supply in those cold deep waters, which caused, which caused... Turns out methane hydrate seeping is a net CO2 loss. It cools.

Here in the talk Mann emphasized that it's a huge and complex problem with all these factors. He went down the list then stopped himself, realizing what he had done. 'But climate change is real!' he said.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Of course climate change is real, everyday, everywhere the climate changes and has since before the beginning of time. The question is; is the climate changing for the worse and if so how and are humans and their activities a major cause? Is this even knowable?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:56 am Of course climate change is real, everyday, everywhere the climate changes and has since before the beginning of time. The question is; is the climate changing for the worse and if so how and are humans and their activities a major cause? Is this even knowable?
I can't imagine, nor do I want to know, how you bent your thinking around what Mann said to conclude he was talking about something else.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Now that renewable energy is getting cheaper than new build fossil fuels and electric transport is becoming a reality, the oil industry now is about where horse feed was in 1910!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Homer wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:21 pm
handdrummer wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:56 am Of course climate change is real, everyday, everywhere the climate changes and has since before the beginning of time. The question is; is the climate changing for the worse and if so how and are humans and their activities a major cause? Is this even knowable?
I can't imagine, nor do I want to know, how you bent your thinking around what Mann said to conclude he was talking about something else.
"Don't want to know." I'll let you have you cop out.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:51 am
Homer wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:21 pm
"Don't want to know." I'll let you have you cop out.
Explain what you think 'cop out' means. Oh this will be good...
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It means avoiding something one ought to do. At least that's the definition available on the internet. If you don't agree with that you're free to invent one that you like. Are you an American, snideness seems to be an American trait.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Snide? Of course, since one can't convey rolling one's eyes in prose. Why snide? Your 4:56am post was 100% generic. You could have posted it at any time, anywhere, in any discussion on global warming. Your 3:21am response fit well with thinking (or pretended to think) your previous post was somehow useful. As did your 10:58 post. I draw the line at double-sniding.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Ok Homer, you win. I just want you to be happy.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"A Startling New Discovery Could Destroy All Those Global Warming Doomsday Forecasts"

https://www.investors.com/politics/edit ... gen-rocks/
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

hhfarang wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:53 pm "A Startling New Discovery Could Destroy All Those Global Warming Doomsday Forecasts"

https://www.investors.com/politics/edit ... gen-rocks/
Presumably the authors of this paper are hoping that we haven't noticed that the world hasn't got more plant growth after about 400 years of fossil fuel usage and rising CO2 levels.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Volcanoes when they blow spew out their materials also blow out tons of CO2 as well but because it is nature doing
that, it does not count, so the small polluting countries like Australia, Canada, New Zealand,
get their citizens to pay the CARBON TAX, while the real polluting countries like, India, Russia, China,
Middle East, and USA do not charge their people a cent. I hear that at least some of Europe has
this cash cow tax, and I do not agree one cent or dollar, with paying any money until the high
polluting countries start charging this Tax.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

Climate Change Has Run Its Course
Its descent into social-justice identity politics is the last gasp of a cause that has lost its vitality.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-ch ... 1528152876
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Stargeezer wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:18 am USA do not charge their people a cent.
Hoping most yanks aren't dump enough to fall for the farce of Global Warming. Gov't gets enough taxes already that people don't agree with.

Besides, I'm sure their a GW tax built into other taxes, such as fossil energy (electric) or fuel taxes. They wouldn't miss an opportunity to exploit more money.