Astronomy, cosmology and space thread

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Big Boy

Re: Astronomy, cosmology and space thread

Post by Big Boy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:08 pm

Yep, it was quite clear here as well.
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....2 Gillingham....1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 20; Position 22

Vital Spark
Ace
Ace

Post by Vital Spark » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:01 pm

I saw it last night. I woke up in the early hours and there was a yellowy light shining into the bedroom. Got up and looked out of the window and there was the massive moon - very low in the sky, and very big. Looked like a scene from Melancholia - I thought I was dreaming...

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"

Nereus
Addict
Addict

Post by Nereus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Geminid meteor shower visible Thursday night

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: The annual Geminid meteor shower should be at its peak on Thursday night and the spectacle visible in all regions of the country well into the early hours of Friday, weather permitting, according to the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT).

Star gazers are advised to find a spot with a clear and unpolluted sky and look towards the northeast. It should be visible to bare eyes from about 8.30pm on.

At its peak, the meteors are expected to stream across the sky at up to 120 an hour. The shower is arriving near the end of the waning moon, making it even easier to see.

The NARIT is also hosting activities for visitors, free of charge, at four observatories  - in Chiang Mai, Chachoengsao, Songkhla and Nakhon Ratchasima.

At the Regional Observatory and Planetarium in Nakhon Ratchasima activities start at 5pm and visitors will be able to observe other celestial objects through telescopes before the meteor shower.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!