Golf course recommendation

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
chr997
Novice
Novice

Golf course recommendation

Post by chr997 »

I will be visiting Hua Hin in feb. or march 2015 and I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on the difficulty of the courses in and around Hua Hin?

I am a casual golfer with low 20's hcp.

Thanks in advance

Christian
Big Boy

Re: Golf course recommendation

Post by Big Boy »

While waiting for the golfers to respond, you start by having a look at this http://www.golfholidayshuahin.com/
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

It's hard to say which courses are the most difficult as all will present a challenge of some sort depending on your strengths and weaknesses.
At your handicap level and off the front tees, all the courses should play well as long as you keep the ball in play and are reasonably long off the tee to carry water.
Wait and see what others think.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

I would say that 95% of courses are up to a good international standard with some very good.
I do not know where the OP plays golf because a handicap in the 20's is difficult to assess, as he might play on a parkland course in UK or one of the Melbourne courses.
What I can say is that entry to greens is often elevated ones , and frequently well surrounded by deep (ish) bunkers - there are no shallow ones where you might be able to putt!! Water is also quite prevalent

So in summary not really for beginners, although I hope I have not made them look too difficult - after all the purpose is to enjoy the game.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
chr997
Novice
Novice

Post by chr997 »

Thx guys,

I guess I should be spending some time at the range before I leave for HH :)

I'm pretty decent off the tee range wise - my drives usually carry 250 + yards here in Denmark, so it should be a bit better in a warmer climate:)

My problem will be consistency, but that's ok.

Still hoping for some opinions on favorite courses in HH, though.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

chr997 wrote:Thx guys,

I'm pretty decent off the tee range wise - my drives usually carry 250 + yards here in Denmark, so it should be a bit better in a warmer climate:)

What you looking for easy or difficult?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
chr997
Novice
Novice

Post by chr997 »

JimmyGreaves wrote:
chr997 wrote:Thx guys,

What you looking for easy or difficult?
I would prefer easy or something in the middle. A horrible golf round tends to ruin my mood for the rest of the day.

My game will probably be somewhat inconsistent, depending on how much practice I get before I leave for HH.

I do appreciate a fairly long course in good condition though.

To sum it up :
Wide fairways
Few insanely difficult greens
Course length not important
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

The most straight forward greens are Springfield followed by Sea Pines. The other courses all have seriously sloping greens. No idea how Sea Pines is looking just now but Springfield is now looking good.
brokendown
Amateur
Amateur

Post by brokendown »

both seapines & springfield were in good nick a couple weeks ago.Black Mountain was Fantastic,but the best course in my opinion,was Banyan
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Agree that Banyan is in great condition at the moment. Played it on Sunday.
To be fair, most of the courses are in good shape at the moment as they've had some rain. Maybe there might be scarifying and sanding of greens but that has to be done at some point in the year.
As far as difficulty is concerned, I played Lake View C&D about a month ago. That was the first time out on those 9s in 16 years of being here. OK, I wasn't at my best but I did find them difficult and I will play them again!!
chr997
Novice
Novice

Post by chr997 »

Great feedback !

So I'll do banyan, Springfield, sea pines, lake view and black mountain if I can manage it.

Thx again guys :)
sledge
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sledge »

Banyan and Black Mountain certainly the best but that is reflected in green fees. Seapines very long off the tee but if you're carrying 250+ you'll have no problems!
Mike 66-75
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mike 66-75 »

My wife is going to try golf, does anybody knows how many lessons she should take for a start?
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Mike 66-75 wrote:My wife is going to try golf, does anybody knows how many lessons she should take for a start?
This is an impossible question really because it depends on ability.

Ask the golf professional who is going to teach her - I suggest John Wither at the Banjan Club,.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
jungle

Post by jungle »

whatever course you play in Hua Hin they are not cheap. without having guest savings you are getting to the Singapore / south Korea prices. i think the days of cheap good golf courses in Thailand have gone.