Golf Clubs and Caddy experiance

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Bush-Hack
Amateur
Amateur

Golf Clubs and Caddy experiance

Post by Bush-Hack »

Hi Members,
I am staying in May for 3 weeks in Hua Hin. I read over the net that Hua Hin is blessed with good Golf Courses. Can anybody here give me some recommendations? eg: 1-10 ( 1 being the top and 10 being the worst course).?
Further I read about Caddies. What is the caddy fee in HH these days? Any experiences with good and bad caddy services at clubs during rounds is appreciated.

cheers
BH
PeteC

Re: Golf Clubs and Caddy experiance

Post by PeteC »

Until others come on later this morning, see the below golf forum postings. Pete :cheers:

viewforum.php?f=45
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Your name implies you are a terrible golfer - Hacker?

If this is the case I suggest Dolphin Bay golf course, because there are no caddys to pay and no green fees to pay, otherwise you are looking at bht 2500 green fees and bht 600+ caddy and tip.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Woosie
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Woosie »

By far the best overall golf experience in Hua Hin is at Banyan IMHO. Also caddies are well trained and typically very good. You will pay a little more to play at Banyan but it is worth it.
Black Mountain also has very good caddies. I find at other clubs caddy experience is varied, some good, some terrible.
Caddy fee at all clubs is THB300. Tip at your discretion usually starts at THB300.
As an aside, I have been playing golf regularly in Thailand for 12 years and I have to say the overall quality of caddies here has declined significantly. Other than the higher quality courses it's more common now to have a mediocre caddy who is more a hindrance than a help. This was not always the case and is a great shame. As a good, fun, caddy adds greatly to the overall enjoyment of the round. Just an observation.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Can anybody here give me some recommendations? eg: 1-10 ( 1 being the top and 10 being the worst course).?
From a person who gave up the game a while back so conditions may make a current difference, my preferences were in order favorite to least favorite (layout, not taking price or current condition into consideration):

Springfield
Lakeview
Sea Pines (or whatever the military course in Takiab is called)
Banyan
Black Mountain
Palm Hills
Royal Hua Hin
Eagle Milford

I never played Majestic but have walked around on it to check it out and it would probably go somewhere in the middle of the list for a good layout (between Sea Pines and Palm Hills). Ask ten golfers and you'll probably get 10 different answers though.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

As hhfarang says, there will be many different opinions of which course is best as quite often it's down to what suits you in terms of layout, speed of greens and so on.
Just going on the courses I've played at recently I'd say SP was in great condition and is always a challenge. Banyan was in top condition. Springfield was excellent too. Played at the latter yesterday with a couple of members and they thought the greens were a bit slow due to light sanding but they were true and consistent. Personally, slower greens suit me as putting is really my weak point.
A course further away that should always be considered for a day out is Royal Ratchaburi which is always in excellent condition and a good test of golf. The price of 690 THB for green fee and caddie is a big attraction as well although it will take about 2 hours to get there.
The omission of any course from the above just means that I havn't played it recently so can't comment.
Caddies - well that all depends a lot on your level of game. If you're experienced, you probably don't want the caddie interfering too much beyond giving advice when asked for it and giving you a drink when you need it. If you do rely heavily on caddies then I'd say that all the top courses round here supply good quality. They should know distances pretty well and have a good knowledge of the greens.
Bush-Hack
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bush-Hack »

thanks guys, appreciate your feedback. Yes I am looking forward playing in HH. Heard only good reviews of Black Mountain and Bayan, so I appreciate your feedback of the other courses too.
Cheers BH
Bush-Hack
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bush-Hack »

musungu wrote:Your name implies you are a terrible golfer - Hacker?

If this is the case I suggest Dolphin Bay golf course, because there are no caddys to pay and no green fees to pay, otherwise you are looking at bht 2500 green fees and bht 600+ caddy and tip.
are we not all terrible golfers in our own right? - thanks Mate for the tip. Will check out. How far from HH is that course?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Dolphin Bay course is a 9 hole military course that is about 45 minutes south of Hua Hin by auto. The conditions, both fairways and greens, are horrible but it is indeed a good place for a beginner (or a hacker, or a broke pensioner) as it is never crowded and it's free, except for a small pull cart rental fee.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?