King's Cup Asian Tour golf tournament at Black Mountain

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
buksida

King's Cup Asian Tour golf tournament at Black Mountain

Post by buksida »

The King's Cup golf tournament will be held at Black Mountain Golf Club, Hua Hin on Jan 16-19. It was initially scheduled for early December to celebrate His Majesty the King's Birthday on Dec 5 but organisers have been forced to accept a delay.

Asian Tour chairman Kyi Hla Han said the original date clashed with the SEA Games in Myanmar in December.

"The tournament might be less interesting if it is staged in the same period as SEA Games," he said.

However, an Asian Tour source indicated the postponement was due to a lack of the sponsorship. The Professional Golf Association of Thailand has struggled to find the sponsors to cover their costs. The Thai Country Club and Banyan Golf Club showed interest in hosting the tournament but backed out.

Full Story: Bangkok Post
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Re: King's Cup golf tournament at Black Mountain

Post by buksida »

A host of Asian Tour hopefuls will have a survival battle on their hands when they tee up at the US$1 million King's Cup Golf Hua Hin at the Black Mountain Golf Club which starts on Thursday.

With the prestigious Asian Tour Order of Merit title already won by Thailand’s Kiradech Aphibarnrat, all eyes will be on the Tour hopefuls seeking to finish in the top-60 of the final Order of Merit to earn full playing rights for the 2014 season.

It will be a fight to the end for many of the region's players who are languishing on the wrong end of the rankings at the King’s Cup Golf Hua Hin, which will be the final tournament of the 2013 season.

The King’s Cup will offer the last opportunity for players to salvage their season as US$180,000 will be offered to the champion at one of Thailand’s most prestigious sporting events which recently inked a five-year agreement with the Asian Tour.

Full Story: ISN
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: King's Cup Asian Tour golf tournament at Black Mountain

Post by hhfarang »

Wasn't this the tournament that originally (a couple of years ago) pitted the Asian tour against the European tour? If so, sounds like it's all Asian tour now.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

No, that was the Royal Trophy, here are the pics I shot: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=16944
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Thanks Buksi, any word on when/if that one will be held again or was it a "one off"? It was really enjoyable to attend.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Royal Trophy has already been held in China, the week before Xmas. Europe won in a very close match.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Ok, thanks. I didn't realize that it traveled. I thought it was a regular Thailand event.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Price for spectators??
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

All the Asian Tour events i have visited have been free................
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Almost certain it is free access. Should be a decent turn out of spectators on the weekend since half of Sweden is currently in Hua Hin.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Edfors confident he can win King's Cup in Hua Hin
Sweden's Johan Edfors believes the signs are encouraging after he yesterday won the par-three contest, a light-hearted precursor to the Asian Tour's season-ending US$1 million King's Cup Golf Hua Hin which tees off at Black Mountain Golf Club tomorrow.

Modelled after a similar tradition at the Masters, Edfors received a timely confidence boost when he was victorious ahead of his title challenge at the King's Cup.

"It's definitely a great way to start the week by winning the par-three contest," Edfors said. "I hit some really nice shots out there despite the strong winds. It's a sign of good things to come. I had quite a long break so it's good to have the game back in shape.

"It's always nice to come back to play in Asia. I've a second home here at Black Mountain and I'm actually thinking of playing a lot more in Asia now."

The 38-year-old owns a villa that overlooks the 11th hole at Black Mountain.

Full Story: Bangkok Post