Quick Question - Beer/Wine and Golf

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Frankies09
Novice
Novice

Quick Question - Beer/Wine and Golf

Post by Frankies09 »

Hello

Just a couple of quick questions (famous last words)

1. We are soon to be staying at the Centara Grand - is there anywhere nearby that sells beer and wine to take back to the hotel "for balcony consumption)

2. What are the best/must play golf courses nearby? And are we best to book before we arrive/ through the hotel or direct with the golf course itself

Many thanks
Frankies09
Big Boy

Re: Quick Question - Beer/Wine and Golf

Post by Big Boy »

Welcome Frankies09. If all else fails, you're never far from a 7-11.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A little outdated, but have a look here http://www.golfholidayshuahin.com/

Points 41; Position 18
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

1) Villa Market is quite close and has a large selection of beers and wines.

2) Must do golf courses would be Banyan, Black Mountain and Springfield..others may disagree.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Frankies09
Novice
Novice

Post by Frankies09 »

Wonderful - thank you very much Big Boy. Take it you can buy alcohol at 7Eleven ...
Thanks also for the golf information
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, they always have plenty of cold beer. If the Centara Grand is what I know as the Grand, you'll find Villa Market just around the corner, and they should be able to satisfy all of your beer and wine needs.

[Edit] Just seen Sateeb's response, which seems to confirm mine and vice-versa.

Points 41; Position 18
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

The Centara Grand is the former Sofitel.
Come out of the hotel and turn right. At the crossroads turn left towards the police station.
There is a small supermarket on the left and they have a reasonable selection of wines.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Come out of supermarket, cross road, turn to left, 100m, take first St on Right. Go down to first major intersection turn right--you will find a reasonable selection of girls.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Also good to know here that there are some archaic laws about sales of alcoholic beverages (much like I remember in England during my visits in the 80's). 7/11s and most other smaller chain stores as well as bigger chains like Tesco are only allowed to sell alcohol by law during the hours of 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., then sales stop until 5 p.m. For some reason Villa Market seems to be able to get around those laws as well as the small mom and pop Thai shops... just so you are aware and stock up at the right times. I'd hate to see your holiday fun damaged by the lack of being able to have your drinks on the balcony. I love that too! :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhnewbie

Post by hhnewbie »

There is a wine bar close t Centara where you can taste different wines and buy single bottles to take out. It's at the beginning of the small soi next to the City Beach Hotel across from Burger King. Another alternative will be Mondo Vino a bit north of the town center, they have a free flow night on Thursdays with a Italian buffet for 800 Bht (?) and have many wines from different parts of the world for sale at reasonable prices, check with hotel reception for direction.
Frankies09
Novice
Novice

Post by Frankies09 »

Thank you so much for all your replies everyone...also thanks to oakdale160 for their interesting comment - will let my husband know!!! Thanks again - I will "cheers" you all on my first balcony refreshment!