Golf practice area?

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Golf practice area?

Post by ahandpatsy »

Guys,

I am in Hua Hin soon and want to use the spare time to practise my chipping and pitching

Where would you suggest I could do this ?

Also to save me bringing clubs I would want to buy an old wedge from somebody, any ideas ?

Cheers

Andy
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Practice area ?

Post by Takiap »

I can help as far as a practice area is concerned, but if you're looking for a secondhand wedge you'll find some at the smallish golf shop on the left, just as you get into Pranburi.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Re: Practice area ?

Post by ahandpatsy »

can you please explain what you are offering ??
Big Boy

Re: Golf practice area?

Post by Big Boy »

I think you'll find there's a typo above, and it should read, "I can't help........"
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

If you want a good practise area for chipping and pitching, then Black Mountain driving range has by far the best area (by a mile). You must pay 100 baht per hour to use it and you need your own balls. If you go and speak nicely to Lung, she will most probably lend you one of the trial Titleist wedges, but you should either bring your own wedge or buy a nice one and take it home. The point of practising is learning feel with your own club.
PGS

Post by PGS »

Are there any driving range, practice area closer to town? Someone mentioned a place called Tawimuk, anyone who knows anything about the facility?
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

PGS wrote:Are there any driving range, practice area closer to town? Someone mentioned a place called Tawimuk, anyone who knows anything about the facility?
Just past soi 10
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Near town you have Pae Mai range, Royal Hua Hin golf course, the Tawimuk facility as mentioned (never actually been there) and just over the hill on the Pala U road the range has reopened there. As mentioned the shop near Thanarat is mentioned in many posts if you want inexpensive clubs. All depends on how long you will be here whether it is worth bringing your clubs.
Best to touch base with other golfers at Bernies (again look in the forum for directions) soon after you get here as I am sure advice will be available on availability and best places to go. Have a good look through the golf section of the forum and I am sure you will find lots of useful information.
PGS

Post by PGS »

Thank you Gregjam for useful and helpful answer. I really look forward to spend time in HH.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Pae Mai and Tavimook don't allow pitching and chipping off the grass. For me Black Mountain wins by a mile. Except there is a new construction near the driving range bunkers which is hazardous to the workers. I have bladed several bunker shots, hitting a car and two workers. They saw the funny side but it beats me why they haven't screened off the bunkers in some way. Or sent me home, never to return. :oops:

Can you buy golf balls on a string?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Tavimook is a decent range and they've restocked their balls recently but they're compound so you don't quite get the feel when you hit. The range opens at 10am and it's off the main road just north of HH hospital. As already stated, you can't hit off grass there.
However, if it's chipping and pitching you want to practice then Black Mountain is the place to go - as already advised.
The golf shop on the approach to Pranburi is a right Alladin's cave of golf clubs. I picked up an old Mizuno (real) sand wedge there for 80 THB and regrip at 200. Also got a 60 degree wedge and putter ( both new) for 800 THB each. They're not big name clubs but they do the business. The shop also sells used balls at 100 THB for 10, 7 of which will always be in good nick, and all the accessories. It's worth a visit. If you havn't got your own transport, take an orange bus from the crossroads at the night market in HH. Journey takes about 30 mins and costs 30 THB (if I remember that correctly). Buses go every 20 mins. Just walk across the dual carriageway from the golf shop to get a return bus.
As you merge into the bypass road on the approach to Pranburi, you'll notice a concrete divide. Just as that ends, there's a parade of some 6-8 shops on your left. The golf shop is the second last next to a bank. If you reach the first set of traffic lights at Tannarat army camp, you've gone too far but just get off there and walk the 1 km back to the shop.