Golf Memberships

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
dws
Amateur
Amateur

Golf Memberships

Post by dws »

Guys,

Looking at spending a lot more time in the region over the coming years and looking into the various membership programs at the local courses.........

What is the expected price (& terms!) of memberships at all or any of the following;

Palm Hills
Springfield
Banyan
Black Mountain

I might expect some to be more expensive than others, but what are the benefits (if any) of being a member of one over any of the others

Just weighing up the options. Cheers!
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Re: Golf Memberships

Post by JimmyGreaves »

I believe you have to own a property on BM to be a member.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
dws
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dws »

Well that rules me out of that one!
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Hi DWS,
Distances and times are from Khao Takiab. The life membership for Springfield, Lake View and Palm Hills have to be purchased from a member that wants to sell, everything else is available at the course. Sea Pines is 500 Bt per round with a yearly fee of 30,000 BT.
Here are some of the details I have so far:

Golf Course Cost How Long Maintenance Distance Time Reg Gr Fee Caddie Cart
Majestic Creek 150,000 5 year 6000/yr 28.6km 30 2000/2500 250 550
250,000 10 year 6000/yr

Banyon 800,000 15 year 24,750/37,850 20km 30 2950/3950

Black Mountain Must own property 30.4 32

Sea Pines 30,000 1 Year 500Bht Gr Fee 10km 10 2000/1500 250 600
Royal Thai Army

Springfield Vill 450,000 30 Year 10,700/yr.ind. 35.7km 36 3500 250 750
120,000 5 Year 10,700/yr.ind.
7490/Family/per
14,980/Family of 2
330,000 Lifetime same

Lake View 170,000 ?

Palm Hills 145,000 ?

Keep me posted on what you do as I am looking at the same. I will be coming back in December to take possession of our Condo.

Best,
Sun and Fun
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

You can get a lifetime at Springfield for under 400k if u wait around for teh right seller.

Lake View I am sure you could get for 120k (condition not great at the moment but still a great layout)

If your living here full time and have a long term visa and rental contract you can apply to join Hua Hin Golf Society, we have great rates year round and 2 fixtures a week and a lot of good people playing.
Many people have Springfield memberships, its the best in terms of year round condition, layout (IMO).
:thumb:
dws
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dws »

Thanks guys.....this is really helpful

Shame about BM, as I like that one. The Springfield & Majestic ones look promising, but hearing some horror stories about the latter at the moment.

Was contacted to say that Banyan are selling lifetimes...can this be correct..?? the price that Sunandfun mentioned is accurate......???...Got to be worth a look!

I'll keep hacking on & find out some more

Appreciate the quick replies!....see you on the tee box

DWS
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

DWS,

When you say horror stories about Majestic are you referring to membership fees?
Because the actual course right now is in excellent condition.

BL
Ye canny shove yer Grannie off a bus....
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

DWS,
I visited Majestic last week. They have completed replacing the greens on at least 18 holes. The club house is torn apart and in process of a remodel. It has some potential. Last year it was a horror. I did not play it this time, but not looking too bad.
Banyon does not want new members. They have enough, thus the high fees. I was quoted the 800,000 Baht by the staff with a word that I would have to get approval from the management. This is for 15 year only. No Lifetime available. Plus an annual maintenance fee as mentioned. Very expensive.
IMHO Springfield seems to be the most consistent year in and year out and best value for money. If you can shop around and find someone selling a lifetime membership, that is the best as you can resell down the road and recover 100% of your investment. Plus a 20-30% discount on Palm Hills, Majestic and Imperial Lake View. Why not buy a Villa at BM if you are that keen on the course? 5-6m Baht I believe with Lifetime membership.
Hope this helps. Please share additional info as you find out. Happy Golfing.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Banyan is offering a great deal, its not cheap but its a lovely place.
Majestic could be one of the area when all of the refurb work is done, the layout is beautiful and challenging with the new grass on the greens they will become puttable! You have to shape the ball both ways and of the back it plays long.
if I were buying now I would buy a Majestic right away.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

JW, I agree it is going to be one of the best in the future. But for 250,000 for 10 years, I still think that if you can find a Lifetime at Springfield for 330,000 to 350,000 it will hold its value and can be resold with a great return. At 55 I plan on a lot more than 10 years of golf so I will have to buy again after then.
Can you give some feedback on getting tee times at any of the courses? That should be a consideration also. If you can't get a tee time when you want to play, then it is makes it less attractive.
Once I move in December, I will definitely join the Society for a couple rounds a week. But I still want a membership. I usually like to play spur of the moment. What is your experience in having a round like that, impromptu? High Season and Low Season.
Thanks...
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Totally agree about Springfield, I play most of my golf there and its great. :D

Tee times are rarely a problem low season, but always better to make a call. High season BM, Springfield and Banyan are pretty loaded, I usually take January off!

Joining the Society is a good move, if your here before December you should play as a guest - you need 4 rounds to qualify to join, also a long term visa and long term rental or property ownership.

Cheers,

JW
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

According to the Banyan website, they are not selling memberships yet. You have to be a property owner. If you buy one of their condos, you have to pay 400 000 baht to join.
I heard a year ago that they were wanting to sell to the public for 800 000 baht, but since it's not on their web site, then probably not yet. Anyone who is interested should ask to speak to Stuart - don't waste your time talking to the other staff and getting wrong info. 800 000 does seem very expensive for 15 years, especially with a much larger annual fee - not sure they will get many takers there!
Had a look at Majestic last week. Yes they are trying but their membership deals don't seem to be a good deal. 250 000 for 10 years! Would wait and see how the place looks after their renovations are done. To make 18 new greens will cost them a lot but will they really be prepared to spend the money to keep the place in good condition in the future. They have just changed their rule to 1 person per cart (as many other courses have now). Not popular with customers that.
Finding a Springfield lifetime membership still seems the best deal. Good deals can be found but the transfer fee of 100 000 baht is a bit sore!
Not really sure what the future holds for golf memberships in Hua Hin? The golf courses are really busy with tourists for 3 months and the other 9 months they are quiet. Plenty of residents who want to play golf but not willing to pay the big money for green fees and membership fees. Maybe some of the courses need to offer 9 month memberships to the residents on an annual basis. We can all understand that the courses need to make all they can in their high season. Something needs to change.
dws
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dws »

Havn't been to Majestic for ages, so perhaps a round there should be on the cards for my next trip to HH....good to hear that they are giving it a bit ot much needed TLC.

Played a bit last year at SF, but just didn't like the extra 9...too bloody hard for me!!

I have now been in touch with Banyan directly, who confimred that lifetime Memberships are available right now. The fee is THB 800,000 and they have some form of guaranteed buy-back built in, and yes, you do have to meet the management .. ....Stuart (??) not available to talk on the phone this morning, but awaiting contact from him. Forgot to ask for annual fees........

Anyway, I've got to bugger off for a while again, to make the dollars to buy whatever membership works out to the most suitable for my needs & wants

FORE....!!!!!!
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I think that 800k for lifetime at Banyan is a good deal, especially if your allowed to sell it on in the future.
cookmanchef
Professional
Professional

Post by cookmanchef »

Met the owner of Majestic last week, money will not be a problem in the future for someone that owns 4000 acres of land and has ambition to make his course better than any others in Hua Hin!! He is also the owner of The Nation newspaper but is retiring from this and will be focussing on MC from now on, upgraded rooms, new logo, new water feature by the clubhouse featuring a real rice paddy etc etc.

He is looking at the membership situation and will consider making things attractive for low season users, maybe worth waiting to see what the plans are.

Course is improving all the time as the rains start to fall and the newest nine is as good a layout as any in HH in my book. Nine of the old greens have been relaid with new grass and should be great by July, the other nine is being done now I think.

With regard to buggies, don't know about 'one man' rule but no plans to penalise those of us that prefer to walk like Banyan.